Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Judging Intrest, NHRA legal Rollcage's?

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Avp23 
#1 ·
I'm in talks with a company out of Pennsylvania about getting an 8 point cage made up for my '85. Checking into the intrest for a NHRA 11.99 legal roll cage. Can also get things like swingouts, camera mounts, harness brackets, ect...

#3 ·
If you need an SCCA legal cage check Kirk Racing

http://www.kirkracing.com/

They don't show them on the web site you'll have to call and ask. Have one in my car and it is very well made.

#4 ·
It depends on the type of tubing Raj. SCCA no longer allows ERW tubing in rollcages, they must use DOM. Rolbars on the other hand, ERW or DOM can be used. Been there already....most likely some other people have been too. I could go into the debate I had over switching my old cage to my 84, but that's for another posting. Sorry to hijack the thread.

#6 ·
i would be interested IF the sections cris-crossing the back seat area (cross brace and shoulder harness bar) as well as the elements of the cage that would block entry and exit thru the doors are built with double-shear tabs and bolts on the ends so they can be removed

#12 ·
Ok, 2 options, 8 point roll bar or 10 point roll cage. I am taking measurment for both out of my car. As posted above, can be made with swingouts, camera mounts, harness brackets, ect... 8 point is a hoop behind the seats, 2 bars back, 2 bars cross(not an X), and 2 bars up along the seats. 10 point is the same as the 8 point except add in roof support, dash bar, and windsheild post runners as the extra 2 points. Neither one requires cutting into the dash, only some carpet removal and cutting of the trim next to the seats to get to the strut tower area.

Our deal as of now will be a minimum of 5 bars/cages, $30 dollars off.

An idea for price right now is the 8 point bar for $169.95 and the 10 point cage for $249.95. Chromoly is also avaliable for an added fee. Swing outs are an extra $35 a side(can also possibly be purchased for use on the braces behind the seats, so they can be removed for rear seat access). Front subframe(through firewall to convert 10 point to 12 point cage), X-brace behind seats, and X-brace for each door side(both together) $45 each. Camera mounts are $30 each. Shipping for my friends bar from this company was around $100.

These are NHRA and IHRA legal if installed correctly. Weld in design, bolt in plates can be added for extra.

#13 ·
so i can get an 8 point with removable door bars and cross bars, and it will be NHRA legal?

#15 ·
Funkycheeze said:
so i can get an 8 point with removable door bars and cross bars, and it will be NHRA legal?
I am waiting for a response on this question. It will be legal with the door swingouts, not sure on the cross braces. According to their sight it is, but I want to check into it for sure. Also waiting on if its SCCA legal or not.

#17 ·
Ok, SCCA bars and cages can be made from the same design as these, but it will be about double the cost to use 1 ¾” x .120 DOM.

They would no longer be NHRA/IHRA legal if the cross braces are made to be removable, wether it be double-shear tabs and bolts, or their swingout packages. Basically, if your looking for an SCCA or NHRA/IHRA legal bar or cage, nothing can be removable except for the door bars.

#20 ·
Well, figure double the normal cost is what they told me. So $300 for an 8 point bar and $450 for a 10 point cage. These are estimates, the company usually only makes NHRA/IHRA stuff, but they have the capability for SCCA too.

I will have pics of one of their 10 point cages soon, its for an SC300, but will still show quality of work, ect...

#21 ·
Dangerous Ken said:
You did need SCCA legal, right Alex?

Ken
Yes

But I want a full cage not just a roll bar if my understanding is currect Joe's is only a roll bar?

I want a full cage. And I want to be able to move in and out of my Supra as easy as possible FYI Im a big guy!!!! :lol:

But I want it to be as strong as possble too.

#22 ·
TRD_83_SupraDrifter said:
Dangerous Ken said:
You did need SCCA legal, right Alex?

Ken
Yes

But I want a full cage not just a roll bar if my understanding is currect Joe's is only a roll bar?

I want a full cage. And I want to be able to move in and out of my Supra as easy as possible FYI Im a big guy!!!! :lol:

Yes, I hear you on the strong as possible. $450 is not a lot when you consider there are leather jackets costing just as much.

I guess it comes down to how much of the asthetics and convenience of entry/exit do you want to give up in the mkII. Or lose a bunch of weight... (j/k)

I'll have to say that there are few mkII's out there that a NHRA roll cage would be required. Thus, having one would be a 'ricer' move to the drag guys. But as for safety in side impacts and rollovers or SCCA, remember my leather jacket example.

Ken

#23 ·
TRD_83_SupraDrifter said:

Ok, of those three things you listed, you may have two.

Strong, Cage, Not easy to get in and out of
Weak, Cage, Easy to get in and out of
Strong, roll, Easy to get in and out of

Why exactly do you want a full cage? The top of the windshield will only come down as far as if you drew a straight line between the roll bar and the nose of the car. If you want it for front cabin structure, you would be better off with bars that go from the roll bar to the drivers' floorboard.

--BillyM (rollbars are all you really need)

#24 ·
The 8 point roll bars do have the bars that go from the bar or hoop to the drivers floorboard, between the seat and the door. 2 for the hoop, 2 back, 2 cross braces, and 2 forward.

A 10 point cage is required for 10.99 and quicker I believe. And I am planning a car that will require this too. Plus whats wrong with wanting to be safe? Yeah, might be overkill, but I have a better chance of coming home to my family than the guy with nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.