Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Changing diff problems

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Supra_devil 
#1 ·
So I decided to finally drop my f303 in today. Well, I'll say that it sucked.

I'm going to code name my car "The Titanic" because with the amount of rust under there, I would believe that it sat at the bottom of a salty ocean for a hundred years or so :shock: That aside, I got the old one off in a hair under SIX HOURS. It was nasty, everything was rusted together. I put the new one up, and ran the two big 19mm bolts through.

Now, the two nearest to the 'nose' (driveshaft end), on either side lined up perfectly. The rest do not. It seems like the diff is sitting about 1/4-1/2" too low, and a bit too far towards the rear of the car. I can raise and lower the jack all I want, but it won't go anywhere and I can not seem to get it to line up for the life of me. What I don't understand is why? If the bolts at either end line up and the driveshaft lines up, why would the middle of it not? So far as I know, all the diff cases are identical from 82-86. I tried to stick a big screwdriver in there and push it up a little bit, but it won't go. WTF??? :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem? I found no trace of it searching. What the hell do I do about it?

#3 ·
okay this is the kicker on the diffs ont he MK2... the bolts never line up correctly...

I have found out that to have the diff situated is to have it sit on the jack and raise it up to the bracket... dont install the two big bolts on the back.... first to line up all the 8 bolts on the hogs head until all the bolts line up... first line up the upper bolts (x4) then the other 4 bolts on the side then install the tow big bolts on the back....

took me 2 hrs to remove and install the new diff w/ an extra hand

PATIENCE is the KEY!!!!

#4 ·
When I put an MA61 diff into my MX73, I noticed the top bracket was different.

I can't remember which one was taller, but one definately was.
I had to put the MX73 bracket onto the MA61 diff, and then it all bolted up perfect.

Make sure that top bracket is the same.

My record so far is 20mins from getting the jack out, to the diff hitting the pavement.

#5 ·
hehe sounds liek me, i have races with my friend on who can drop and replace a front wheel drive automatic tranny faster. we both do it roughly in two hours, with nothing but two jack stands. a floor jack, wood. and ratchets and sockets of course. fun times

#6 ·
Peewee said:
My record so far is 20mins from getting the jack out, to the diff hitting the pavement.
Just gotta make sure that you don't get in the way as it's a heavy sucker.

I'll remember these hints when I get to change mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.