Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Clutches revisited

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  pimpy rider 
#1 ·
My 84 5 speed is starting to slip noticably at 170,00 miles so I figure its clutch replacement time. I have done the search under "clutch" and "pressure plate" and seen all sorts of recommendations. RPS and ACT are mentioned regularly. Centerforce has its promoters and detractors. Some say go with 7MGE OEM parts.
The master cylinder has recently been replaced with a new Toyota unit and I have put the Stainless clutch flex line on. I have a slave cylinder on order.

Here's my particular situation. I want a smooth operating clutch with somewhat stronger clamping power. I won't be racing the car, but might have to show my arse from the stoplight every once in a while. The 5M motor is running pretty good but if it ever has a major failure, I might replace it with a rebuilt JDM 6M or a 7MGE, therefore would like enough "clutch" so that clutch repalcement would not then be an isssue.

Two Questions:
(1) I know this is similar to some previous posts, but throw me some clutch, pressureplate, etc, suggestions guys.

(2) If I'm going to replace the clutch and pressure plate, what other parts would make sense to replace while doing this replacement; Flywheel, throwout bearing, etc?

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
use a stock 7mge clutch (pp and disc) with a new throwout bearing and get your FW resurfaced

#4 ·
for near stock performance, use stock like parts.

what they said.

if you want something a little stronger, any of the "first stage" or entry level clutches should be ok.

#5 ·
New gear oil my choice Redline MT-90 or 75w90"NS" or Amsoil 75w90 from Dave A.

And new input shaft bearing the little buger that goes in the end of the crank shaft.

Get a Toy 7mge pressure plate and a ACT street disc
Click here: eBay item 7951121443 (Ends Feb-08-05 14:11:34 PST) - ACT Modified Street Clutch Disc for Supra Celica MR-2

#6 ·
I think I will look at 2 options:

ACT Street Clutch Kit
or
ACT street clutch plate and Toyota 7MGE pressure plate, and Toyota pilot and release bearings- (Pricing Toyota parts $ from one of the discounting dealers)

I will compare total costs and make a decsion. But, I'm wondering if there is any real functional or longevity advantage between the Toyota 7mge pressure plate and the one that ACT sells in there Supra kits?

#7 ·
Mike Ive had the 7mge set up with the HKS fly in my 86 for well over 8yrs & 35k+ miles couldnt be happier with the set up.

I will be going with a Toy 7mge pressure plate for holding power and the ACT Street disc in the near future as I think my TO bearing is starting to go bad.

Make sure you surface the flywheel and install/grease the input shaft bearing. Get a used 5mge flywheel and have it surfaced or buy a new Fidenza light weight prior to the clutch job to save down time.

#8 ·
I have posted this response TWICE!!!!! And both times it has disappeared from this thread. WTF???? Admins whats going on? Did I bust the rules?

Anyway, I ended up going with an RPS street disc clutch and pressure plate and Toyota pilot bearing, throwout bearing, fork, boot, and retainers. E mail me if you want to know where and how much.

#10 ·
I've read most what I could find about centerforce and ACT clutches.

I've heard about the Centerforce Dualfriction. But what about the centerforce stage 2.

The reason I ask, is because shipping for most clutches to me will suck, i'm in canada, and the duties will bend me over. I can get an ACT Stage 1 from Burnaby for 500+tax, and a Centerforce Stage 2 from Lordco for like 375+bearings from toyota (another 89 or 11 (depends which one))

Help guys, is the extra money that much better for the ACT?
I will be ordering in the next week or 2, I' leaning towards the ACT, just needing reassurance for the upgrade (would be nice to also turbo with 6-8psi without burning out the clutch)

#13 ·
I've got the RPS clutch set installed now and it is holding GOOD. It has good near stock pedal feel and smooth engagement. Mine came from Jeff at Champion Toyota in Houston Tx. I still have a little bit of pulsing under hard acceleration. I suspect some sort of fuel delivery issue.

#14 ·
I ordered the new seals today.
Ordered
-Rear Main seal
-rear tranny seal
-shifter bushing

Should I also replace the starter contacts while i"m working on the car?
I am going to flush and put new fluid in the tranny obviously.
I am going to get Redline if the Lordco here carries it. What I don't know, is how much do I need, 4 litres or something?

Also, I've seen info on having the stock flywheels lightened up, has anyone done this with they're 5M flywheel yet? And if so, how much weight did you shave off?

Sorry for the questions guys, I've heard recommendations for these items, but wondering weather it's actually a good idea (as in catching things before they break or mess up), or just more money spent?

#15 · (Edited)
Funkycheeze said:
use a stock 7mge clutch (pp and disc) with a new throwout bearing and get your FW resurfaced
Doing some research, searching old posts, and just bringing this up for clarification: does the stock 7mge clutch and pressure plate bolt up to the stock 5m tranny without modification?

Bah, nevermind. :suicide:

Found the answer.

I r dum. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.