Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

crank pulley chipped- problem?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Tommy 
#1 ·
k I noticed while timing my 5MGE my crank pulley is chipped, not a little chip and not a HUGE chip, but I notice every once in a while at idle, the engine will "pulsate" like I'm lightly hitting the gas peddle and letting it go ( which I'm not ). The rpms go up to 1000, then drop to 500 or 600 then back again. It doesn't happen all the time, but could this be caused by the chipped pulley? will it damage my crank? i.e crank walk/warpage?

~~Tanya~~ finally got my black 85-ptype :)

#2 ·
Get a new pulley. The crank pulley on a straight 6 serves as a harmonic balancer. That's why you're experiencing the pulsation.

If I were you I'd replace it yesterday.

#3 ·
I figured that much ( harmonic balancer ) but I didn't know if the chip in it would make it vibrate like that. I wish I could have bought the pulley a few weeks ago, but I'm broke as a joke, I can't even afford a new brake fluid resevoir cap ( Toyota wants $116 for it! ), just the cap nothing else. So right now I'm using the car sparing so as to not damage the crank and to keep my brakes from completly failing. Sucks too, got to start work next Monday with my car in this shape, arghh

#4 ·
You might consider getting a used cap and crank pulley from nix99
800-782-0682 www.nix99.com
...they would probably be cheaper there.

-or- you could get one from a place like Napa. They won't charge as much.

Brakes should be $30 from Napa as well.

#5 ·
Tanya,I could UPS a used complete master cylinder,or any parts you need from it for $40 shipping included to Florida.I can also get a complete OE unit new "with the (toyota) ground off",for $140 shipped,as I recall,I'll have to look.I sent one to James Coble in Vegas not long ago,and that's the $$$ that sticks in my head.

#6 ·
OK ALSO I just found out one of my fan blades is completly demolished. Which would be more likely to cause the pulsation? the fan or the crank pulley?
Actually I might not need the resevoir cap if I get my rear caliper replaced. We tried to bleed it, but it became stripped and the bleeder broke off. So I guess the air pocket is forcing the fluid back through the cap, which might mean it's not bad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.