Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

rear tire size

4K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  WadeT 
#1 ·
what size rear tires are you guys running?

#4 ·
245/60R14 is the largest you can stuff on the stock 14X7 supra rims without the problem of proper contact patch... if you have seen my car the VMP last Battle of the Imports.... I am running a Indy Profile S/S G60-14 which is a 255/60-14 tire... it is made by Mickey Thompsons... and it is a Street/Strip tire that is DOT approved... it is a pretty soft tire specially ones you burn it off before running the track... pretty sticky once hot and it has the same compound as the Mickey Thompson slick tires.... but for daily driving... I wouldn't recommend this tire for the wear sucks due to soft of a tire...

note... 255/60-14 is a bit too large for the 14X7 supra rims and I have to run 20 psi on it to make a better contact patch and greater use on the track

#7 ·
dohc82 said:
245/60s on the stock rim...no problems except speedimg through corners more often:lol:
what is the make of tire you got on them? the only ones I could find were BF Goodrich Radial T/A, are there any other choices at around the same price?

<------Hijacking this thread :twisted:

#9 ·
P-Type Wheels: 225/60/14 Yokohama A509's (FINALLY took off the old A509's & put 2 of the new/used ones on 2 of my wheels. Need to take the other 2 wheels in for refinishing).

Compomotive CXN's 245/45/16 Yokohama AVS Intermediate's (my summer wheels).

The Silver Slug MKI is running 195/70/14 BFG Radial TA Whiteletters on the stock MKI aluminum wheels.

I run the same size tires on all 4 wheels, not just the back 2.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I am primarily interested in looks. It would be great to get the same BULGE look in the rear as on the fronts.

#13 ·
For those of you running 245/45/16s on the front what offset and width wheels are you running. That's the size I've been looking at but don't want any rubbing so I need to make sure I get the right offset. Any help is appreciated.

#18 ·
I have BFGoodrich T/A's 265/50/14 on the rear and 245/50/14 on the front on my stock 14" Rims - both sizes fit well. They have the name "BFGoodrich" in white writing on the side of the tyre. Very chunky tyres, look mean, very fat, but don't handle so good on wet roads...definitely not for the faint of heart come winter time! :wink:

#20 ·
Hiya Justin!

Great to see a fellow Perthie on here...suddenly I feel less alone. :)

Unfortunately I don't know where the tyres were bought or even how much they cost...they came with the car when I bought it. :( I'm not even sure if you can still buy them and I suspect they wouldn't be cheap given the size and all...I haven't seen them around.

They are very serious rubber for the stock rims. It's amazing though, they fit perfectly even though they look chunky. The back of the car is raised a bit from the size of the rear tyres...looks cool though...lol.

Where is the W.A MK2 Mailing list located? I will join up... 8)

#23 ·
Yokohama avid 235/60/r14
Good grip and wear, but i think that the extra width is making cornering a little less crisp.

I've been using them over a year, now; and i noticed that my speedo is running about 4-5mi. over the actual speed. Would it be the tires? (even though they are the same height)

Is it possible to adjust the speedo?

#24 ·
Yes, it would be the tires. The 235 size will give you a slightly different reading than the correct 225 size.

And which Avid's did you buy???? Yokohama has several different model's of the Avid's. The Avid ST is the only model that Yokohama currently has in the 225/60/14. Am pretty sure that it's available in the 235/60/14's.

Nope, the speedo is not adjustable. You can swap out your speedometer gear, BUT this is only if you are making a big change in your rear differential ratio. If it's something small, like a tire size change, then there is nothing you can do about this, other than to stay w/ the correct 225/60/14 tire size. And this size is still available if you look around carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.