Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Wired in the 295 yellow-tops today

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  cheappower82 
#1 ·
I used 7M-GTE injector plugs on the 7M-GE injectors and hoped I read the wiring schematic correctly. The car idled at 3000rpm for about a minute then went back to normal (scary feeling). I used the online TSRM for the 86Mkii and 90Mkiii hoping it would match my 'mystery wiring harness' (not sure what year car it was pulled from).

All is well. I'll test drive when it stops raining.

AFM tightened(?) 14 teeth CW.

6M-GTE w/CT-26 H-3 trim
stock ECU
Vortech FMU
Mkiii intercooler

#2 ·
When I started my project I heard people say that I would have idle issues when using the 295's without an safc. Well I am at 11 teeth CW and the only adjustments I have made are from 3000rpm's up. It idles great. That is just a myth it looks like.

Driving the turbo in the rain is just no fun.

:x

#5 ·
Supra Bob said:
Mark, which way did you adjust after 3K rpm's? and why did you opt to tune the idle with the AFM rather than with the S-AFCII?
Good question. Regardless, the tightened AFM trick seems to be working.
I pulled a 13.98 @ 99.77 with a smooth idle. I'll update this success after some near-future dyno time.

I'll definitely opt for the S-AFC2. Glad someone here decided to use it.

#6 ·
I already had my afm open and it just seemed the logical thing to do. This way I move my adjustment points to 2500-6500 instead of having to spread them out over the whole RPM Range. This allows me to tune in 200rpm increments where it is needed most.

#8 ·
I have just done the 295cc on my friends 84... I had it set at 20 clicks CW before we fired it up.... the damn thing is pig rich.... then he tired lowering the FPR and it idled fine at 22 psi but we put it back to 38 psi and put a few more clicks on the AFM.... I think we are at 28-32 clicks on the AFM CW.... and this thing is so damn rich still.... the AF gauge still staying at 2 bars before green (autometer).... then once I rev it up a little... it basically pegs to green and stays there for 2 seconds.... never seen the gauge go red at all.... now we are ready to put the CT 26 turbo.... it just arrived this weekend.....

idle is a bit fine now.... but still a little rough on coming to stop

#9 ·
Well I just wired in my afc yesterday, and it seems the logical thing to do is to turn the afm dial at leist 12-14 clicks clockwise, then try and tune out the rest with the afc... This is assuming of course I will be using 295's 8) Would all of you recommend this over just leaving it alone and tuning with the afc?

AUstin

#10 ·
3000cc MK2 said:
I had it set at 20 clicks CW before we fired it up.... the damn thing is pig rich.... then he tired lowering the FPR and it idled fine at 22 psi but we put it back to 38 psi and put a few more clicks on the AFM.... I think we are at 28-32 clicks on the AFM CW.... and this thing is so damn rich still
What fuel pump are you using?

#11 ·
cheappower82 said:
3000cc MK2 said:
I had it set at 20 clicks CW before we fired it up.... the damn thing is pig rich.... then he tired lowering the FPR and it idled fine at 22 psi but we put it back to 38 psi and put a few more clicks on the AFM.... I think we are at 28-32 clicks on the AFM CW.... and this thing is so damn rich still
What fuel pump are you using?
Walbro 255 pump

#12 ·
Ok I got an 84 with that im turboing (6M) and I have the pump in, turbo on and everything, I just need to know how to wire in the injectors? I mean its 50/50 shot i guess at picking the wires, but does anyone know off hand how I can tell wchich wire goes to which?

Its a stock 84 with a 6m block/head, 88 7MGE yellow top 295cc injectors. Im thinking before I start it (since Im also using a walbro 255lph) that I should probably be somewhere like 15 clicks to start huh? In recommendations? Thanks guys!

#17 ·
Well I dont think that it relly matters hwo you wire them up. i mean correct me if Im wrong but the injectors only see a pulse throught the wires. Theres no ground or positive at all, so why would it matter which way you hooked them up as long as the proper injectors wires went to each injector?

I also think that I will be able to use my afc after all. I mean after readin what you said about the afc Mark. i figure that I can just leave it and only have to make adjustments for WOT past a certain rpm which Im hoping will work.

#19 ·
Just rewired my 295's on an '85 harness. The colors (for the most part) matched for the white wires.

The early harness had (for the odd cylinders) white and yellow wires, and for the even cylinders - white and blue.

For the 7M-GTE - #1 & #4: White w/ blue stripe and yellow.
#2 & #6: White w/ red stripe and black.
#3 & #5: White and red.

Hope it helps.

#20 ·
CRF_Rider said:
I shoulda taken better pics of that. Make sure you do when you wire them up.
No doubt. I had the camera with me, but was too lazy to clean my hands and snap a few shots. Maybe next time. I plan on going back and soldering the connections (went the easy route and used crimp connectors).

#22 ·
WadeT said:
It's so simple. Just keep your wires straight on the injector plugs and how they sit in relation to the injector you're soldering (left/right). Or you can mark them before you cut the stock plugs off. Keep it all lined up and you will be fine.
I found that confusing due to the difference in the plug types. Therefore, for some reason, I thought the wires may switch in phase (due to the difference in years).

Good point on the alignment of the injectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.