Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Anybody install a rear cusco bar before?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  TRD 83 SUPRA XX 
#1 ·
I must have swallowed a bottle of stupid pills. I've been looking for the directions that came with my rear cusco bar, but I haven't been able to find it. Has anyone installed one of those rear braces before...I understand one must do some drilling into the wheel wells? Please advise

#2 ·
Holes do need to be drilled in the wheel wells.

Mounting brackets need to be mounted "behind" the shocks (towards the seatbacks), not "in front" of the shocks (towards to cargo area.

Set the adjustment screws on the bar all the way in (towards the center of the bar) so that the mounting brackets are as close to the center as possible. If it's unscrewed too far outward, then the mounting bracket uprights will be "in line" where the plastic interior side panels would go (that holds the speaker cover & the 2 mounting locations for the roll up cargo cover)..

When you drill the holes, install the mounting brackets, then "test fit" the shock tower/wheelwell carpet piece on top of that. Make note of the location of where the mounting bracket is underneath the carpet piece, you will then need to make 2 small incision slits, so that the bracket "uprights" (where the bar attaches to the bracket, via a mounting bolt) protrude through the carpet piece. IN OTHER WORDS, the mounting bracket attaches DIRECTLY to the wheel well, the brackets do not go on top of the carpet cover piece.

I got some spare shock tower/wheelwell Maroon carpet pieces from a junkyard, so that I would not have to cut my original ones.

Slight possibility that you might have to do some minor trimming on the plastic side panels, so that the brackets will clear the panels easily, so that the panels won't bind up in certain places (you will notice this after the brackets have been installed & the little fastening screws for the side panels won't go in, because the holes no longer line up).

Can't remember how to tighten up the bar after everything is installed. :oops:

Yes, I do have the Cusco rear shock tower bar in my Redpra. I do need to get a digital camera, so that I can show you the mounting bracket placement locations for my rear Cusco bar.

#4 ·
Yes, I do have the Cusco rear shock tower bar in my Redpra. I do need to get a digital camera.quote]

I have the front Cusco but I have never seen the rear one. Once you get that picture I would love to see it! :D

#8 ·
www.cyberauto.com i belive still sells them.

direct link to our cars is http://www.cyberauto.com/index.php/ToyotaSupra(82-85).txt

#10 ·
SlimFastSupra said:
any place that sells cusco can get em including myself..

however, i know of cheaper strut bar that looks similar to that one.. drill and bolt style.. it might be worth a try...
Are you going to let me in or what? :? Do you think that the cusco bar or the one you're talking about be work (with mods) to do the seat brackets? Just wondering.

#14 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have any digital pics of my rear Cusco bar setup. Someone's gonna have to take some & post them for me. :( :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.