Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

What is best equipment for mounting tires on wheels?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  RWDCelicadude 
#1 ·
I have a set of custom wheels coming in 3 weeks and I have been looking at tires. A manager at a local tire shop said that he did not have the right equipment to install low profile tires on 3 piece wheels. He will sell me tires, but will pass on the mounting.

He suggested going to local Goodyear franchise because of Goodyear run flat tires with VERY stiff sidewalls. He said that there is a no contact mounting device that has a circular rim that pushes on the tire ONLY.

What equipment should I be looking at and what questions should I be asking to find someone who can install low profile tires on aluminum rims? :?:

#2 ·
I have work on a goodyear dealer... as for mounting the tires... there are now a few very advanced technology on tire mounting. the best way is ask them for the shop I work can only do up to 17" rims...

go check out the goodyear place and if they do not have the right equipment... ask them if there is another goodyear place that can mount the tires.

and as for the low profile run flats.... OMG... I hate mounting those tires... stiff as hell and hard to put it... :mad: I even got my finger caught one time and I have to go to the emergency room to get it stitched :x damn tires

#3 ·
Thanks, 3000cc MK2

I won't get the Goodyear run-flats. I'd hate to have the mounting guy running after me with a tire iron. :wink:

#5 ·
Do not go to a Goodyear store. They spend too much time mounting 60 and 70 profile H and T rated passenger tires. Whether or not they have the equipment, most do not have the experience to mount low profile tires. They would rather keep adding weight than redo a mount and balance. Doing 4 or 5 Corvettes a year does not qualify as having plenty of experience.

Go to a wheel/tire shop that specializes in performance wheels and tires. If they handle 17, 18, 20, and 22" wheels and tires, they can handle yours.

#6 ·
yeah pretty much what he said. But I know a couple good places in Burnaby that do it, but I'm sure theres some in Surry or delta that do it too. Just ask if they can handle mounting low pro tires, most will tell you flat out. Someone who does it regularly would defintly be best. Mounting and balancing costs skyrocket once you get into low profiles though. I once had a place quote me 180 to mount and balance 4 50 series tires on some nice 15 inch rims and install new chrome stems! I couldn't belive it, I went down the road and the next place wanted 80 to do the exact same thing. I've been dealing with these guys ever since, they're pretty good and great people. Thats Big O tires on Edmonds in Burnaby. They have one of the newer mounting machines that can handle the low profile stuff. Tell Rick Deaves Seamus sent you if you go. Yes I'm on a first name basis with my tire guy. A month ago I sat down and figured out exactly how many rims I had, 38! And only 6 of those are steelies, the rest are aluminum rims :D I'm trying to cut down.

#7 ·
I don't know if you have Sears up there or not but all the ones I've been in are required to have equipment able to mount at least 17" wheels. They also are required to have the correct head on the mounting machine so it won't scratch those nice wheels.

I think the worst tires I've ever mounted were 225/30/19 Michelin Pilot Sports. Talk about a pain in the ass, we ended up having to do it with two people, one guy couldn't just couldn't put enough force on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.