Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

wassup everyone!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kamikazekiko 
#1 ·
Hello, my name is Juan. I'm 28 yrs old and I'm from NY. I've been an auto tech for 8 years now working at a Ford dealer. At the moment, I'm looking for a 2nd generation Supra - preferably 86. I sold my car just so I can have cash for a supra. My first car was an 82 celica gt hatchback and as I was looking for one on Ebay, I came across a Supra that was so hot, I just had to get it. Unfortunately, the winning bid was out of my reach. The dang thing was mint, and I had no idea how much they sell for when in that condition. After that, I began searching and searching, but can not find one without major rust. I am on the search still, and that's how I found this website. It is very informative and interesting, and hopefully I can find the car I've been losing sleep over!

#2 ·
Yes, in mint shape, we have seen them selling in the $6,000 and even up to $9,000 range, and frequently, the buyer and seller are on opposite coasts so there is additional transportation cost above that. Still, we often see them in obviously used condition, but well kept (needing only minor cosmetics or mechanical) for $3,000 to $5,000s. Fixer-uppers (needing major work, but still worth restoring) can be had for $1,500 to $3,000, beaters (needing too much to be worth restoring, but driveable) $500 to $1,499 and obviously parts-cars (any undriveable) for under $500. The better condition you seek, the rarer they are, however, I would encourage you to have patience and even overpay for a Supra that needs little to nothing vs. buying a fixer upper because unlike muscle cars from the 1960s, there are no reproduction parts available for us and much of the interior and trim that we need for restorations are unavailable from Toyota at any price. Finding good used trim and interior is what we here on the forum have termed "holy grail" parts. Being an auto tech, you probably already know how to pick out a good one from a lemon, but you are not immune to the human frailties of impatience and excitement so its probably good that you did not jump on the first one you saw on ebay before you found us. Welcome, good luck and happy hunting.

#4 ·
Dude... congratz on the new (Eric's) car. Not sure where you are in NY, but hope you can come to my Fall meet in eastern PA this year. No details yet, but keep watching the Runs/Events section.

I read your feedback to Eric and wldve posted this there, but commander Webber just deletes my inapprop shit instantly.

#5 ·
Thanks, Greg. I'm about 1/2 hour south of Albany. PA is probably like 4 hours from me, but I will definitely make it for this year's Fall meet. Couldn't do it in May cuz it fell on my b-day. I saw your spread in the June issue of some magazine (forgot the name). Congratz on that. Can't wait to see it in person this Fall.

#8 ·
JoeBWanKenobi said:
I would just like to say hello to another upstate NY supra owner. It is pretty lonely north of NYC :p
hey joebwankenobi! we're not that far away. It is very lonely up here, but I actually met another supra owner while driving around with a really nice 82 and a co-worker just bought my old 85. So that makes 4 of us :twodrunkg :twodrunkg . we gotta make our own mini-meet and tear up the streets in Albany. :mk2_vroom

#9 ·
I can't tear up the streets until I put mine back together :) I have seen a '85 maroon driving around up here, seems to be parked at a mechanics shop alot, and I have seen a rusted red '83 out near gloversville tooling around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.