Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Check engine light not flashing. Checked TPS

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Initial Z 
#1 ·
Hey folks, I gotta problem I could use some help with. I searched the forums but couldnt come up with an answer. I'm trying to set my timing but I can not get my check engine light to flash when I jumper the test connector. I already adjusted the TPS using my multi-meter. I have the 3 prong TPS and the switches are working fine for idle and wot. The engine also revs high with the TPS disconnected so I dont think thats the problem. Aside from the TPS what else would stop the CE light from flashing?

#2 ·
#4 ·
Don't feel bad, i had problem doing this the first time too. First, you are using a ANALOG volt meter correct? A digital one simply won't work, it'll be innaccurate. Look at this pic

When you got it all hooked up right,

"How to interpret what the meter is saying:
The needle will fluctuate between 0, 2.5, and 5 volts if everything is hooked up correctly. To indicate the start of the codes, the needle will go up to 5V for about 2 seconds, then drop to 2.5V. The first digit in the first code will be indicated by the number of times the needle goes to 5V and stays there for 0.6 seconds, then drops back to 2.5V. If it goes up and back twice, that's a two. Three times, it's a three. Then for the second digit, it will go below 2.5V, to 0V and back to 2.5V. If it goes down and back one time, that's a one; twice, a two, etc. The needle then should stay at 2.5V for 2 seconds to indicate the end of the first code. If there are no other codes, the needle will go to 5V for 2 seconds again, then repeat the procedure. If there are other codes, they will be displayed accordingly, with the end indicated by the 2 seconds spent at 5V."

The other thing that threw me off is the the first digit is the "ones" place, the second is the "tens" place, so if it goes up to 5v once, then down to 0 twice, thats code 21 (right???) not 12, like i thought it was the first time i did it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.