Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Clarification concerning oil sump location

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Norbie 
#1 ·
I've been reading through the swaps and I see some talk about the sump location here and there.

What difficulty is associated with the sump location? Is it only an engine cradle issue, or is it something more complex like the steering configuration?

For example, the mk2 is front sump but there is a 1jzgte front clip on eBay right now from a JDM mk3. Since that 1jz is mid sump, wouldn't I be able to fab up a new engine cradle and drop that sucker in? Or am I missing something more crucial?

Thanks.

D

#2 ·
Sure, but its alot easier to buy one with the correct oil sump and bolt it in vs redoing the entire x-member and steering system of the car.

#4 ·
It's basically a bigger headache to somehow make a crossmember that will accomodate the center drop pan from the JZA70 MKIII. When it's so much EASIER to get the motor from the JZX Chaser that already has the front drop pan & it drops right in.

Also..... Do you know of a crossmember that you can install in a MKII that will work with the JZA70 center drop pan????

#6 ·
The big problem with crossmember modifications is the steering rack, which is attached to the rear of the crossmember. If you were to use a mid sump like the MkIII, you'd also have to move the steering rack in front of the wheels like the MkIII - and things get very complicated from there. So as already mentioned, using the correct sump is by far the easiest and cheapest option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.