Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1JZ Wiring assistance needed! Stuck!

8K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  DMADMA60 
#1 ·
Oh exalted Gurus of the JZ swap....I humbly request assistance.

SKEEN550 and I are wiring my (JZZ30 non-VVTi Soarer-based) 1JZ and need some basic info:

We need some basic wiring info on the 1jz - what exactly is needed to get it to crank and fire? We have the starter and fuel pump working at this point but no spark.

The ECU wires are not an issue, its with the other connectors on the harness that we are missing something.

We referred to the the 7MGTE swap stuff as best as we could and found a large black/orange wire, 2 of them actually which we think are the igniter/injector power but we're not sure.

So basically we need to know what the other connectors on the harness are for that might keep it from starting.

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Yes, the 2 black/orange need power, those are the power wires for all your injectors and VSV's. The black/red stripe is power for the TPS and stuff. You also need to hook up the ECU relay switching wire from the ECU to the relay, I believe it is red/blue in the car's harness. The ECU grounds through engine harness, so make sure you have a good ground from block to body or battery. The 2 black/yellow wires will also need to be hooked up. I'm going to go dig up my wiring guides (still unfinished of course) and give you some solid info.

#6 ·
Hi mate
I'v wired up a few of these now. List of wires needed too start it are below.

inside the car you'll see a large square plug. There's 3 wires on this plug too hook up. 2 fat black/orange wires, these need a 12v, then there's another small black/orange wire which needs to be hooked to your ignition.

In your engine bay you'll see a black plug near the ignitor. This plug would have plugged into the soarer fuse box. These are the wires you'll need too hook up.

Black/yellow = 12v constant
Fat black/red = Main relay switched 12v
Black/orange = Main relay switched ground

I dont know about american mk2's but aussie one's we can use the original starter signal wire.

You'll have too hook 12v too your fuel pump aswell. This will start the car if it's hooked up properly. I can tell ya all the cluster wires if ya need aswell.

Pm me if ya need any more help.

#8 ·
I am working with Dave on the swap, the car is in my garage.

I tried to wire it like you mentioned but no luck.

It turns over and its getting fuel given I jumped the fuel pump by the AFM so its on when the key is on. (I can hear it run, plus I checked the return line and fuel spewed out). But it seems I get no spark given it wont crank up.

We got the front clip from an importer and it hasnt been started so we may just have a bad ignitor or ECU ?

I am going to double check the grounds for the injectors and look the harness over to ensure nothing is damaged but other than that do you have any troubleshooting steps for this engine/ecu combo ? If it was a 7Mgte I could whip out the US service manual and do some checks, but I dont have anything for this isetup n english :)

Thanks,

Scott

#14 ·
You are killing me with these dark pictures.

The thing is the wires there all plug into something, so there is no need to unplug them. It is impossible to plug them in incorrectly.

Only the *small* 2 pin grey wire that is dangling will not be used for an MK2 swap. You can tape over it, so as not to get confused later.

#15 ·
Explanation

Sorry, I should have explained a little more...

The engine is already mounted and wired. That pic dates from last summer while the engine was still outside the car.

The car is at SKEEN550's place, 40 minutes from my home, so I had to rely on an old photo rather than driving out to snap a new one.

Bottom line, the wire I highlighted is badly ripped/frayed and I am pretty sure it is for the crank pos. sensor, which would explain the starting problems we're experiencing.

#16 ·
It lives!

Crank position sensor was unplugged(!!) and one of the wires leading into the plug was ripped out of place. SKEEN fixed that and she breathed to life late last night.

I will now switch back to my "Another 1JZ swap underway" thread for updates.

Thanks Triptek and 935 for the basic startup wiring info as well as for confirming that I was on the right track with the crank sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.