Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archive old posts

• Delete old posts

Deleting old posts

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  fjb 
#1 ·
Okay, this is probably a sensitive issue, but I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to expire old posts from the forums? Specifically, I was looking through the "Shows/Meets" forum, and their are an overwhelming number of posts on meets that have long since passed.

Perhaps not delete at all, but archive the ones that have passed so that it is easier to see the upcoming events. Yes, I realize that the newest posts are first, but this would reduce clutter and make it easier to see what is in the immediate future.

#4 ·
i say if anything, archive them, but if its not a problem for our admins, then why create work for them, we get into enough mischief around here as it is ;) :)

#5 ·
I think it all depends on the content doesn't it. Do we really want super informative post's to be deleted/archived just cause they're x years old...I know I don't and I would pay to keep them there. So, in my opinion I think we should just leave well enough alone.

The only way to do it properly would create a huge amount of work for Stephen, Chris and Mike. It wouldn't be worth the effort for either party. Reason being, what's informative to me, might be old news to you....so you might not give a rats @$$ if a post gets deleted, but I might. How do you please everyone in that regard. There is no way as far as i can see.

Archiving is another story...where will the archives be, will there be easy access by all members. How much work will this all create. As Stephen has said this is a part-time hobby, so I personally don't think the great amount of work required will pay off...just my opinion.

**EDIT** If we are running into funding issues, then I think it's time to organize another donation to the site. I for 1 am upset at myself for not contributing to this awesome site. What do you say Mike...time for Donations Again??? **EDIT**

#6 ·
Deleting posts is not an option. Archiving threads about meets etc. doesnt seem like it is worth the effort, at least not yet. vwvortex.com regularly archives content, cause they have 110,000 members...and a whole lot of talking is going on. We do not have that problem, and never will.

We the reader can look at the date of the post and then decide to read, or not. You have to deliberately flip through pages to see old posts, so its not like you can be fooled assuming its new.

A lot of people enjoy looking at old posts, esp ones about meets that may have links to pictures from those meets. People never get tired of reading meet stories, orseeing meet pictures. :)

#7 ·
Malloy said:
A lot of people enjoy looking at old posts, esp ones about meets that may have links to pictures from those meets. People never get tired of reading meet stories, orseeing meet pictures. :)
Malloy :greatpos: some of those Meet threads have pics of the past meets we have had

I Vote Ban the :n00b: :rotfl:
:banme: <-----:n00b:

#9 ·
wallcrawlr said:
Kinda bold for someone with only 13 posts to be suggesting others should be deleted.

going out on a limb arent you?
Always! :)

By all means the informative posts should be kept forever. Like I wrote, maybe just the old meets should be archived. But again, the sort order pushes the old ones to the end, so it probably doesn't matter.

Hey, I thought this forum was a "Suggestion Box", which is why I thought a poll on the question was a good idea, even if the suggestion itself is a bad one!

#11 ·
wallcrawlr said:
Just giving you the needle...

take care and keep posting.
Well okay, I will ... but I think I'll avoid anything about open source software, operating systems, and communism in the future! :p (obscure cross-reference warning) Probably limit myself to cars, and just cars, at least here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.