Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1uz Mk2 Swap in New Zealand

8K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Jkm3141 
#1 ·
Hey all,

This is my first post here on this awesome site.
Im going to be logging my progress here thoughout this project.

Currently i own a 1983 L-type GA61 that was running a 1ggeu + w55.
I brought another L-type (this time with the sohc 1g) as a parts car and aquired a recon-ed w57 which i will be backing the V8 with.

I brought my 1uz for $1450 NZD complete with everything, and today was lucky enough to score another one for free.

Due to university strains I havent really started, im just getting all the parts for the 8 week holiday at the end of the year.

The car has been gutted and needs a few rust repairs before i can fit the new engine.

here are some photos (will take more photos soon)

this is it currently with nothing inside (striped to firewall)

If anyone is interested in parts i still have most of the wreckage car.

i also own a 1981 Celica GT RALLY. Its interesting because its the 26th one off the production line. Possibly its the oldest surviving one in the world. Who knows :)

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks mate,

I dont know about the ecu yet, i guess my budget would dictate. But at the moment im sitting pretty comfy so who knows!

Can i use a Crown ecu on a LS400 1uz? Its something i havent checked yet.

Spud: Yup sure thing :) You have my email still right? If not, nockyj @ gmail . com

David: Its coming together nicely, i managed to score everything i needed for the manual conversion for $950 (flywheel, clutch setup, one of Phil Bradshores legendary adapter plates, modified auto bellhousing etc etc). But funny enough i just ordered most of that through Phil the day before so i now have 2 1uz's and 2 manual conversion sets!
Whats the lastest on those mounts? I havent been able to contact that guy.

I just have to spend some time to find out about my diff and brake/suspension options, but with uni in full force and exams in 4 weeks it may have to wait.

#8 ·
Awesome thanks ^^^

Im pretty gutted at the moment. I got the engine yesterday from NZ Car Parts and the loom has been cut >< and the ECU has a massive dent on it. I paid for one with the loom intact. I also noticed that the 1uz i got was not the same as the one pictured in the auction (the one they gave me has old stickers on the front from belt changes etc, the one in the picture has nothing).

I emailed them asking what the hell is going on and i want them to send the correct one to me at their expense.

I have just had THE worst luck the last few weeks.

#13 ·
Do you know if anyone has made a 1uz adaptor for r154 use? I plan on doing a 5 speed conversion on an ls400 but dont want to use a w58.
I actually happen to have one spare if your interested. Its coming with a whole lot of other parts i got but im using a w57 with mine so i have a different plate (that will actually work with the r154 as well)

I talked to David about the situation last night, they wont have been in during the weekend so ill wait untill tuesday for a reply and then call them.

Also the free engine may actually be easier, its setup to just run (im not sure if i mentioned earlier or not, but it was previously used as a wind machine that just had a massive prop on it, it was used in the Nania movie too haha). So it may be less of a headache to wire, but we'll see.

#15 · (Edited)
LOL i seem to be doing everything in multiples >_<

I just brought another 1981 celica XX L-type with just over 100,000km.

Ill post pics as soon as i get it, but it will most likely be the one getting the 4.0L power of god in it.

Other details:
- Fresh red respray.
- All electrics are working including sunroof etc. (comes with center console trip computer too)
- w57, not sure on the diff
- towball (super super happy about that)
- Original mint interior (from memory)
- Nice un damaged L-type wheels.
- Rust free hatch :D

Thats off the top of my head, could be wrong :S i havent seen it for a while

chrisfromda909: ill pm you too to make sure you get the message but its not a r154 sorry, its a "5spd r151f gearbox adapter". I miss read it in my excitement, but its still here if anyone would want it.

#16 ·
chrisfromda909: ill pm you too to make sure you get the message but its not a r154 sorry, its a "5spd r151f gearbox adapter". I miss read it in my excitement, but its still here if anyone would want it.
I think it will still work to adapt the R series trans to the 1UZ, but Im not totally sure. Guess someone else will have to chime in.

#21 ·
Haha i wonder who that could be ;). Plans for now, put one 1uz into the red one and keep it as factory as possible. Try and sell my other celica xx rolling body with a w57, 1uz and clutch setup OR store it and keep it for a rainy day. My problem is space. When i get this i will have 4 cars sitting outside the house and a garage COMPLETELY filled with XX stuff >_<.

#24 ·
you should be able to get that place that collects car bodies to pick it up, sometimes free if the engine and a few other bits are there, or very cheap like $10-$20 if its not.

Usually advertised in the western leader, or your local paper.

how do i know? been there done that.

3sgte mk2 would go alright.

#25 ·
cool thanks, ill keep that in mind.

well i got my new toy back last night and im very very happy :).

Interior is nice, should be able to replace the parts that are shabby.
Bonnet badge is still there (first time in 3 xx's).
Paint is a very very awesome colour and i will be keeping it this colour.
hatch looks alright but ill have a closer look soon.

I didnt realise how quick the 5m ones were! I wonder how they would have compared to a rx7/skyline/vortex of the same era.

#29 ·
just from measurements if you are going to have a log manifold made up it must stay within 2 inches of the head at the exhaust ports to clear the steering rack on a left hand drive supra. I assume it would be the same for a right hand drive, however if you are going with a better design than a log it would be possible if you went under the column.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.