Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

just a question

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Donn29 
#1 ·
i couldnt find anything on it but would it be possible to run a 7mgte ecu as a piggy back with the stock 5m ecu? as in running an extra powercord for the 7m and rewireing the injectors from the 5m to the 7m ecu (sence ill be running the 7mgte injectors).

also what would be the best way to get this done, custom harness? or just pull the wires for the injectors off the 5m ecu and wireing them into the 7m ecu?

also i did read the post on the 7m electronics on the 6m but with it being an overall good idea but i figured i would try something different.

if anyone has any info for this let me know and ill try it out with my setup.

thanks.

#2 ·
I don't think it would work too well because you haven't mentioned the O2 sensor or any of the others that the 7M is expecting to see. It wouldn't know how much fuel was needed without the sensors...

#3 ·
so it would need the o2 sensor reading along with air flow, what about the boost pressure also? (didnt think about those at first, plus im running on about 4 hours of sleep) also would the knock sensor also help out in the long run?

#4 ·
There are two knock sensors on the 7MGTE and only one on the 5MGE. I guess that sort of tells you it's needed. LOL Yes, air flow etc. I'm guessing it's not going to be a piggy-back by the time you're done with it.

#5 ·
ECU's read a lot of inputs, especially crank rotation, throttle position, and air flow; but only have one real job (if you ignore ignition). They tell the injectors how long to stay open. If the 7m ecu is doing that job, it needs all the inputs, and the 5m ecu will sit there reading nothing and assume that the motor is not spinning (read as off) but continue to use up voltage and space.:)

#8 ·
I don't even understand how 2 ecus could co-exist. I'd say 7M-GTE Electronics on a 5M would be the bomb!
I think the Dizzy even puts out the right pluses per rpm as the CPS does!

#9 ·
I'm not the expert(Darrow,Junkie,Sarinadragons?) However doesn't the GTE use a coilpack setup, so would you have to modify the dizzy or it's wiring to work with the GTE's electronics, or would the 5M need a cps setup put on it?

#12 ·
Thank you .... you speak the truth.

But, for those that like to "Be Different" ...Yes, you could make the 12 valve engine run on the 7mgte electronics. Someone in Eastern Canada has already done it, and I belive had it running. I haven't looked at it recently, but, think I have a way figured to make it easier. Just not on the top of the project list, by a longshot.

#13 ·
Even putting the 7MGE ecu on 5MGE was a complete PITA. The 7M ecu is looking for lots of things that you don't have.

7MGTE, even harder x 10.

If you are looking to have an ECU with boost maps, look into getting something compatible with the 7MGE to work. MAFT PRO etc. It is not going to work as smoothly, there will be adjustments you need to make to suit 5MGE.

#14 ·
What things are missing Rob? If you had a harness, igniter/coilpacks and FI resistor I don't think there are many other things that would cause a problem, if there is, you could just use the whole 7m Intake.
I guess adding another knock sensor would kinda of suck too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.