Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

castrol syntec diff lube

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  CELICA XX 
#1 ·
i was going to do a flush and replace on the tranny and diff, so i was looking around, and i saw some generic synthetic LSD diff oil, and right beside it is this castrol bottle.
lately ive been using castrol synthetic in the engine and i really like it, but i want to go synthetic in the drivetrain too, so i start reading the bottle.
the back of the castrol bottle says it meets all GL5 requirements, and is suitable for limited slip applications, but it doesnt specify whether i should use a LSD additive with it, or whether its already formulated for LSD diffs.

basically, what im asking is should i get this stuff and trust that its going to do the trick, or should i hunt around trying to find the ford LSD junk that everyone raves about?

my diff doesnt make any noise, i just figure its time for a replacement and i think synthetic is worth the extry coin.

#2 ·
i use castrol syntec too and love the stuff it freed all my old lifters and my car has power all the way thru the redline and about 400rpm past it.

if it says it's suitable for LSD applications it's saying you can put it in your lsd diff. it already has an additive. the gear oil i used in my car was penzoil and it said specificly NOT to add any LSD additive because it was already formulated for limited slip.

i was gonna use amsoil but the place down the street from me wants 10 dollars...A QUART for the stuff i was like...no thanks i'll go buy a whole jug of synthetic blend thank you lol.

what oil filter do you use? i use toyota oem oil filters. i hear all the time about fram filters collapsing and causing engines to messup hardcore when used at high rpms alot. plus it's only like a quarter more for the toyota filter.

i'm assuming you have a manual tranny?

#3 ·
syn mite cause seals to leak after a while. also, last time i asked Reg, about 2 years ago he still felt that any big name dino + FORD and only ford lsd additive was the best. I did what he said (mobil + ford lsd) about 3 years ago and it quieted my diff a lot.

#4 ·
i use toyota filters... love em, they seem to come off better when its change time, ive had frams stick on there, and yes, i use the same method, spin till it contacts an exactly 1/4 turn more.

well, im gonna ask at the dealers whether they have a toyota lsd oil, and if they do, ill buy it, but otherwise, ill get the castrol junk.

gotta go get tranny bushings anyways, so why not drain and fill :)

#5 ·
I've used the castrol synthetic 80w-90 gear oil for years in my supras. I've always added lsd additive for the diff though, I didn't think it came in it. If it says its safe for lsd it usually means its safe for an lsd, but it still needs the additive. Alot of oils do have the additive now though, read the fine print I guess. I've been meaning to try red line stuff as everyone raves about it but I'm not expecting it to be any better then the castrol stuff.

#6 ·
oh, by the way everyone, i was at toyota today and i asked about diff lube...
they sell it, formulated for toyota diffs, with LSD additive already mixed in, and it was 2 bucks cheaper than the castrol shit.

so, nuff said, i got toyota stuff...gonna buy castrol for the tranny tho :)

#8 ·
75w90 is OEM, many run Redline MT90 ie 90w, and you mean for the 5spd correct??

Angkistrodon said:
I got a case of 85 90 gearoil for free, is this too high a weight??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.