PDA

View Full Version : Spec Stage 3+ Clutch -W58 ~400hp car

Malloy
03-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Anyone running this in their W58 turbo car? Thoughts? Seems like the most streetable piece (full face friction) on the market for ~400hp applications. The site says its good for 380ftlbs....but I don't know how accurate those figures are.

What are other good, full face clutches out there for the W58?

Gaslight
03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Malloy,

I run ACT clutches in everything I own and they never let me down. The SPEC stuff seems great but I have no experince with them. Give ACT a call (http://www.advancedclutch.com/) on the tech line and tell them what you want to do and what you expect out of the clutch. They always make good picks for me at least and they have always been right. Might be worth at least a good compare.

Jake

TRD 83 SUPRA XX
03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
If I'm not mistaken I think I am running the SPEC stage 3 on mine. I have no complaints. Yeah its a bit harsh for the street but I learned to live with it.

If in this video at 3:58 is the one your looking at then yeah its really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4fSrUaG0Y&feature=channel_page

sarinas_dragons
03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
one of my buds just had to return his spec stage 3 to them for a broken hub. He dynoed 265 and shortly after his broke...

BillyM
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Check with MikeR, as he's got a spec and has a contact out there.

I'm running a competition clutches stage-4, and the jz na-t guys swear by it for up to 500... ...not an especially smooth clutch though.

--billyM

rwago
03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Mike
The Spec Stage 3+ is the one I picked for my build (turbo and W58). After talking with several people it seemed like the best for me. I still wanted the car to be streetable and hold the power I wanted to put through it.
I wish I had some real world driving experience to give ya, but I don't just yet... Give me a few weeks hopefully.

cheappower82
03-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I ran mine since 2005, it did well considering it got lubed via the rear main

A little grabby with the Fidanza, but ask Mike about how it behaves with the stock flywheel

Yotaholic
03-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I have the same . It is a bit harsh for stop and go driving but flawless performance since June 07. It bites HARD and fast and has never fluttered or slipped in any gear. I haven't seen any reports of delaminating friction pads or rivets falling out so it seems to be a high quality product and worth the money. If I had to do it over I would buy it again :thumbsup:

edit : R154

ABQMK2
03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Robert (supraguy31) and I run centerforce dual friction II's in our supra's W58's and it has a stock pedal feel with no harsh grabbing and its holding roberts documented 450+HP and its not slipping on mine yet.

MikeD
03-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I run Clutch Masters stage 3 (now called FX300) clutch with w58. Last time dyno'd 2004 around 350 rwhp. Super smooth clutch (no grab). Not sure how well it would take on a drag strip though since the semented disk material is made of Kevlar.

Suprasaurus
03-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Malloy,

I run ACT clutches in everything I own and they never let me down. The SPEC stuff seems great but I have no experince with them. Give ACT a call (http://www.advancedclutch.com/) on the tech line and tell them what you want to do and what you expect out of the clutch. They always make good picks for me at least and they have always been right. Might be worth at least a good compare.

Jake

+1 for ACT

Robert (supraguy31) and I run centerforce dual friction II's in our supra's W58's and it has a stock pedal feel with no harsh grabbing and its holding roberts documented 450+HP and its not slipping on mine yet.

450+? I wasn't expecting that, I doubt i'll ever get above 400 so I'm assuming I can keep the w58 for a couple of years.

jjbenzo
03-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Those of you who have the 7MGTE in your MK2 with the original w58 tranny....are you using a 7MGTE or a 7MGE clutch, or one specified for the original 5MGE? I bought a Fidanza 7MGTE flywheel awhile back but have yet to decide on a clutch for my original 85 w58 transmission with a 7MGTE motor. From what I have read on this forum, the SPEC 2+ clutch seems like a good choice...

Donn29
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
JJ a 7MGTE always had a R154 behind it in North America. That means you need to get one for a 7M-GE, or any clutch for a W58, 2JZ-GE, 5M-GE... I think mine said on eBay that it was for the 22R-E too. Obviously you don't want a stock one though.

jjbenzo
03-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Thats what I originally thought...just wanted clarification if the clutches for the w58 and r154 are the same or not. Spec 3+ it is then.

Donn29
03-20-2009, 01:42 PM
7MGTE Spec 2+ it is then!

So you have an R154?

jjbenzo
03-20-2009, 04:03 PM
I have a 85 Supra with the original w58 manual transmission and a 7MGTE swapped in. I was under the impression that I need to buy a 7MGTE specific clutch b/c that is the motor in the car. Is this not the case? Even with a 7MGTE, do I still have to buy a clutch listed for the 82--86 5MGE? I hope this isn't the case since I purchased a Fidanza flywheel awhile back listed for a 7MGTE. I guess this means its time to see if I can do an exchange!

Donn29
03-20-2009, 05:02 PM
JJ a 7MGTE always had a R154 behind it in North America. That means you need to get one for a 7M-GE, or any clutch for a W58, 2JZ-GE, 5M-GE... I think mine said on eBay that it was for the 22R-E too. Obviously you don't want a stock one though.

Re-read. If you have a W58, thats the clutch you use. A 7M-GTE clutch only fits the M block with an R154.

I think the only difference is the spline count or size on the transmissions input shaft, but I could be wrong.

7M-GTE motor + W58 trans = 7M-GE Clutch(or a 5M-GE) You'll need a 5/7M-GE Flywheel.

jjbenzo
03-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Thank you for your help. I have sent an e-mail to Titan about the flywheel I bought from them. Fidanza lists one flywheel for 5MGE/7MGE cars and a different flywheel for 7MGTE cars. So...looks like they are different and hopefully they will exchange it for me. At least now I will get the correct clutch the first time! Thanks again for clearing this up for me.

Donn29
03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Blahh

ABQMK2
03-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Use the W58 flywheel. get a clutch ie..pressure plate and disc for a 94-98 NA MK4 supra with the W58 transmission.

I recommend the centerforce dual friction II clutch for the 94-98 MK4 NA. It holds 400+HP and has a stock feel. Thats what Robert and I have in our Supras and its holding great. BTW he an I are over 400HP.

BTW..so you know...the 7mgte flywhell WILL NOT WORK...its smaller,thicker and the bolts are longer.

Donn29
03-21-2009, 02:48 PM
BTW..so you know...the 7mgte flywhell WILL NOT WORK...its smaller,thicker and the bolts are longer.

Excellent, I'll go edit my posts!

Jake, the are the 5/6/7M-GE flywheels the same?

ABQMK2
03-21-2009, 10:25 PM
IDK....I never messed around with the NA stuff cept' what i needed to make my 7mgte swap.

CarFreek
03-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Yes. M series N/A uses conventional flywheel/push type clutch/W series trans. Turbo M series uses step flywheel/pull type clutch/R series trans. J series N/A uses conventional flywheel/push type clutch/W series trans. J series Turbo uses step flywheel/pull type clutch/V series trans. This is why 1 part # for a clutch disc can work in a 84 Supra with a 5M, a 96 Supra with a JZ, and my 7MGTE/W58, even though flywheels/engines/cars are different.

jjbenzo
03-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for your advice. I love getting replies from you and Robert considering you know my vehicle first hand! I am trying to do an exchange on the flywheel with Titan Motorsports right now...waiting on a reply. Meanwhile, I will take a look at the clutch you mentioned. I was stuck on SPEC, so I may have to widen my options since you guys have had such good luck with them.

helmsman
03-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Use the W58 flywheel. get a clutch ie..pressure plate and disc for a 94-98 NA MK4 supra with the W58 transmission.

I recommend the centerforce dual friction II clutch for the 94-98 MK4 NA. It holds 400+HP and has a stock feel. Thats what Robert and I have in our Supras and its holding great. BTW he an I are over 400HP.

I have not had good luck with CF DF. Toasted 2 of them. 10 + passes at the strip did them in. I also killed a clutchmaster stage3 with oem disc.

ABQMK2
03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I have not had good luck with CF DF. Toasted 2 of them. 10 + passes at the strip did them in. I also killed a clutchmaster stage3 with oem disc.

its the Dual friction 2?...is that what youre running or is it just a DF?...not sure if there is a difference.

Whats your driving style at the track? When you launch is there alot of slipping of the clutch?

Is this clutch in your supra or is it another vehicle?

Are these passes back to back? if so how many?

Im not doubting you..anything is possible...I Just want to see why youre toasting your DF clutch.

helmsman
03-22-2009, 04:39 PM
its the Dual friction 2?...is that what youre running or is it just a DF?...not sure if there is a difference.

Whats your driving style at the track? When you launch is there alot of slipping of the clutch?

Is this clutch in your supra or is it another vehicle?

Are these passes back to back? if so how many?

Im not doubting you..anything is possible...I Just want to see why youre toasting your DF clutch.

The P/N listed DF522018 is for all NA Supras 82 - 98, and is what I had. The first one exploded the pp side while under a hard pull. Let go on the 2 - 3 shift. I broke in the clutch per instructions. I called and talked to a Centerforce rep and told him the story and also let him know the power i'm running (85 sup w mild moded 7mgte). So I sent back the destroyed assembly, they sent me a new pp and different clutch disk. You know the 8 red puck like contact surfaces were on both sides not just the flywheel side. I then had the luck to get 13 or 14 runs at the strip a couple years ago. Some runs with maybe 10 min wait. Tried different rpm launch points. I also run some Hoosier drag radials so maybe the extra grip of the tires didn't help the clutch.