Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1st autocross with the 83

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  R955 
#1 ·
Lets start out with the fact that I had a bad experience at my first autocross 2 years ago, and decided I would never go back. Turns out Cincinnati scca are a bunch of malcontents, I will probably not run with them again. On the other hand the Miami Valley Sports car club seem to be a great group of guys. So I went with no expectations of a good time after my last autocross. The track uses part of an asphalt oval and the pit lane and a crossover in the middle, you can go to www.kilkarespeedway.com and see pictures. I have participated in drift events here so I was familiar with the layout. Let me say this about stock suspension, its great for the trip to the track, very comfortable indeed. On the track....well lets just say for my driving style(WFO) it is less than ideal. The first thing I noticed is that I need to change my power steering fluid, and clean out the screen, it got the telltale sticking on quick left to right transitions. Next the springs are VERY soft, I am pretty sure the door handles were dragging on the banking. Surprisingly the brakes worked very well, it was a short course, and pretty slow, I still want to do the cressida front brake upgrade though. I was happy with my square intake everyone said would suck, throttle response was crisp, and steering with the rear of the car was fairly easy. I did get some new exhaust on the car 2.5 inch into a pretty non restrictive muffler, and this woke the car up considerably. Once I started actually not beating the car to death trying to get the feel of it, my times decreased dramatically. I did spin once on my first run, when the throttle is chopped it induces some wonderful oversteer, and I got happy with the throttle, initiated a pretty deep angle drift, and promptly realized that this car is too softly sprung to hold on to a long drift in a banked corner. Can you say snap turn? After two more runs, I started to feel what the car wanted and dropped my time from a max of 67.4, down to a 58.303. I had a great time and got to feel a stock supra suspension, now I am going to start making changes, agx's maybe qa1 front coilover, and rear springs to start, then we will go from there. I will do it again it was a good time, and it was not a complete sausage fest, there were some women running and doing pretty good. I will have to give the guy in the EG hatch civic some respect, that kid can drive, his car might look like a POS but damn did he put on a clinic!!

Greg

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.