Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

threw my rod in my 22r

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  83CelWA 
#1 ·
cant believe i drove my 4runner 2kms after i did this, i'm doing 5m swap now!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can believe it. I'd be surprised if a little hole like that in a 22R actually stopped it. I love 22R's, tough little engines. They may not get you where you want to go in a hurry, but they will get you there. My 1981 SR5 has had a camper on it since it was new and it is still going strong, the 22R hardly even notices it. I have installed a better cam for a little more power. Now it is both quicker and it gets better fuel economy than my last 22R powered Toyota truck even with the camper on it.

#3 ·
The BHG in my Celica has lasted about 3 months, I had once put that stop leak stuff in but it started getting hot about a week later. i'm basically waiting for it to die completely. 5m swap. the oil looks like a mud pie but it cruises just fine. temp guage jumps to the passenger seat after about 7 minutes of driving. It also make lots of top end noise at about 3200 rpms, but i have held it to rev limit numerous times with no effect.

I'll probably never get to do the 5m swap at this rate.

#4 ·
Ya I found out how well the 22RE holds up, Like 4 months ago all three belts decided to brake at the same time and I was on the highway 30 to 40 miles from home so I turned everything off and held it at 75 the whole way home, when I got home there was no coolant left and the engine was hotter then hell, went & bought new belts filled it up with new antifreze and its been fine no problems yet.

#5 ·
I keep talking about how the 22r in my Celica is going to die... but realistically, it never will. It's a tough little motor, even if it isn't exactly powerful. Mine ticks like mad when cold, but I don't think it's actually hurting anything... you can't. I drive it like I'mtrying to blow it up... and nothing doing yet.

#6 ·
I had shattered the #4 top compression ring when I still had the 22re in the Celipra, and drove it like that for about a month and could still beat honduhs. Still ran when I pulled it, it was just noisy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.