Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

7mge swap help/build

5K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  project supra 
#1 ·
Ok there is the good news. I am swapping a 5m + 7m hybrid motor into my 83 terracotta supra. It has a 5m block and everything else is off a 7m it is mostly biult. However it still needs cooling lines, intake, egr system, and belts and pullys. Now here comes the bad news. I have not touched or seen a 7mge up close so i am not sure what to start putting together next. My friend is getting a massive rush at work so he told me to finish it and he has confidence in me that i could finish it. I know with some help i can get this done with some help. Here is what it looks like as of yesterday morning.

Here is the car all waxed a little dusty though.

And what is going into it.

ported heads

the tranny

Parts that need to go on

I have the gaskets and the wiring harness is in the car keeping out of the weather (its been windy and rainy) and the engine is covered. What would be the next thing to put on to start completing the engine.

See less See more
#2 ·
Um, what pistons did you use?

#3 ·
i would say upper intake mani first just because its easier to put it on now than when its in the car, same with headers probably, rear main now would help alot too, and i would throw on the clutch and tranny now its alot easier to put it all in in one piece rather then tryin to tighten those bolts when the motors in.

#5 ·
The pistons are from the 5mge.
Have fun with that, and expect to probably do a "valve job" sometime in the near future. And if it is a little noisy, we will know why now.

#11 ·
Search "8M" it will give you many answers you are looking for.

#12 ·
Ok i did some reading and i am trying to get the 5mge bottom end to go with the 7mge head. Its an na turbo build and from the sounds of it all i am missing is the 7mge pistons. Or would it be easier to just 5m block and 7m crank and pistons seeing how i read somewhere that 5m crank and 7 rods dont work. i would do a full 7m swap however i dont have the resorces to do a full 7m swap or the know how witch is why my friend was helping me. (he rebiult his 7m in his 87) witch is why i thought this would work.

#13 ·
Do more reading/searching.......

#17 ·
Ok. sorry guys i just really wanted this to work. I got all excited an about this engine but i am just going to move it back down to a rebuilt 5m. Much simpler and its something i know better. Sorry for all the dead ache guys.I am going to start searching for a 5m top end.

#19 ·
he said it would work the pistons rotate without hitting the valves he said as long as i didnt float the valves break a belt or over rev i would be fine but everyone here is pretty convincing and i only have experience fixing my 5m not building another engine. I need to be absolutely positive this will work this car is going to be my car while i attend college.

#20 ·
I want to see you get timing covers, a complete set on this project :)

Then, show us the complete pully set up also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.