Antifreeze smell inside car off and on [Archive] - Toyota CelicaSupra Forums

: Antifreeze smell inside car off and on

supradan1985
03-09-2011, 03:12 PM
HELP!!!! What could this be, and how can I fix it? I am hoping its not the heater core, and if it is, who wants to fix it for me?
I have looked for leaks outside the car and found nothing. I have felt the floor under the dash and it is dry. I just get a wiff of antifreeze every once in a while. Weird.
Any ideas will be appreciated
Thanks
Dan O.

StevOturbo
03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Does the smell come when you 'get on the car some'? Are you losing coolant? I just changed my heater core and everything has to come out! (pretty much) Ganna be a long day if it is! You should as a last resort to trouble shoot just disconnect the hoses going in an out of the heater core and connect them together with a small 2 inch piece of pipe to bride them together, tighten good and see if you still smell coolant. Make sure it's a safe day to not need defrost, ideally a sunny day if those exist in WA! lol Need more info.

afronippleyo
03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
The only thing that pops into mind would be the heater core... there might not be enough of a leak for it to be draining onto the floor yet.I used to have a s-10 and I was having the same issue. Turn on your heater and see if you smell antifreeze coming from the vents

afronippleyo
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
You should as a last resort to trouble shoot just disconnect the hoses going in an out of the heater core and connect them together with a small 2 inch piece of pipe to bride them together, tighten good and see if you still smell coolant.

correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt there still be some coolant sitting in the core? if there is then he would still smell antifreeze even with the heater core bypassed

StevOturbo
03-09-2011, 05:43 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt there still be some coolant sitting in the core? if there is then he would still smell antifreeze even with the heater core bypassed

That could be a possibility but being that this smell is intermittent I would like to think a possible leak would rear it's ugly head when the coolant is hot and pressurized from the water pump. I have no idea if he runs the fan heat when this happens or not, and if he smells this after speeding or even if he knows if he's losing coolant, we'll have to wait for him to respond for details. To bypass the heater core as an easy way to see if the smell stops or is significantly less noticeable is pretty simple action to take, but we need a couple details. I also hope he fixes it himself as he will take care than a shop trying to get his car in and out. Just don't forget the 10mm deep well. lol

SilverMk2
03-09-2011, 06:09 PM
More than likely the heater core there is nothing else inside the car that has coolant.

83CelWA
03-09-2011, 09:10 PM
+1 on heater core going out, it is not too bad to swap it out, just have to be careful with the dash since they like to crack easily.

afronippleyo
03-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Just don't forget the 10mm deep well. lol

a 10mm is a MUST on ANY car. even newer domestics. haha. I'd be stuck if I had to change my heater core though. I don't have a 10mm deep socket

supradan1985
03-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys....I bought and put in some stuff that was recommended to me to stop leaks in the radiator/heater core. It has Rabbit terd like pellets in it. So far i have not smelled any more antifreeze after pouring this stuff in the system. I am betting on it being the heater core, but maybe a small enough leak that this stuff fixed it. Good for now. Will post up again if I have more problems. Thanks for all the info.

83CelWA
03-10-2011, 02:16 PM
That type of stuff is well known to cause more problems than fixing

supradan1985
03-19-2011, 04:25 AM
Great!!!!!! Well, I haven't had any problems with it yet. And I haven't smelled antifreeze lately. BUT, I think some of that crap i put in the motor MIGHT be seeping out of the very rear top of the motor???????? Or maybe im just seeing things cause now im paranoid. IDK!!!! Time to do a swap!!!!! I have a Raw 7m block. believe its a turbo block too. Does this do me any good? Its literally just the block and pan.

kmfdmk
03-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Turbo block has plubming (oil galleys) for oil squirters which spray/mist oil onto the bottoms of the pistons to help cool them. Depending on the year of the block (89+) I think it's rumoured they have slightly stiffer/improved interal bracing. Turbo block doesn't hurt, my preference will always be for a turbo block, simply because OF the oil squirters.

Oh and yes, I'd bet 10 bucks it's the heater core. They don't always catastrophically fail, sometimes where the 90* degree elbows are brazed on crack/cold solder from vibration and seep eventually. Not enough to mist the windshield hardcore with coolant (like to where you can see, smell, and touch/wipe it) but enough that you notice its smell. (Been there done that)

And honestly, The heater core is time consuming, but by NO means difficult. You just have to a) have about a good 8 hours free time (if it's your first time) and b) need someplace dry to do it. To make it easier, taking shit that's in the way out really helps. It's way overkill but the thought has occurred to remove the passenger seat for room when pulling it.

CarFreek
03-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Dan, when you are ready, I can help you. Id bypass the core, flush all the rabbit pellets out of your system, and replace core. The radiator might be hard to get completely clean of the pellets. Be careful using any flush chemicals, make sure you dont get an adverse chemical reaction from the pellets. It is possible that the "pellet seepage" you see is the original leak, but that would mean cracked head, etc. Shoot whoever told you to use those in the gut, so that they bleed out slowly.......J/K

ma67 lover
03-20-2011, 12:51 AM
yeah it is quite a task to get that out! ugh i hated doin that to my car! I have seen some interesting ways of doing this but i personally just tore everything out haha. was easier to do things with everything out like kmfdmk said or if your super awesome you can just cut a hole in your air box and just pull it out through that haha. i seen one guy do that and just put a piece of gorilla tape over it. SUPER GHETTO! but what i always so do it right and take the time or dont start the project!