Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Got a wild hair up my ass today...

8K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  jo_aftermarket 
#1 ·
Got a wild Idea at work today working on two trucks back-to-back. I always hear about the 1Uz (I think), which is the V8 out of the 4runner(?) and all of that fun stuff. But then I got to thinking of Ford's 351 Windsor. That had its ups and downs, the ups of going away from computers and going to a beefy engine that can STACK horsepower. I had an '82 F250 with one that was built, and it had a ton of power, but the downside is the big-ass cast-iron block would rape the front end of the Supra in turning and driving comfort.

Then I saw this run through the shop...

And started looking for numbers behind it, I found the 4.7L makes about 280 hp @ 5200rpm and 325 lb.-ft. @ 3500rpm. Has 10:1 compression ratio and gets 15-18 mpg in a truck that weighs significantly more than the Supra. It has Variable timing and 32 valves.

Then this little puppy came in...

... So I started running numbers for this one, too, retrieving 381 hp @ 5600 rpm and 401 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm. Also has 32 valves and variable timing.

Then I started to think about a Tacoma, because they come with a Manual Transmission, and a 2-wheel drive one wouldn't need TOO many modifications to get the 6-speed running to the rear wheels. The Tacoma engine I'd use is the 4.0L with 236 hp @ 5200 rpm and 266 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm.

So, what are your guys' thoughts/opinions? I was going to see what kind of rolled or wrecked trucks I could get my grubby mitts on to get everything I need as I need it. I also plan to buy another '82 Supra to swap it into, I want my current one (Desiree`) to stay with a 5M in her and find one to make a monster out of. Before I got my job at Toyota, there was an employee with a MKIV Supra with the 4.7L Tundra in it, and he made his Supra SCREAM around the track.

See less See more
#3 ·
No, the 1uz is a 4 liter out of the Lexus LS 400 among other vehicles. The 4.7 is/was I think the first interference engine that Toyota has built in a long time, I'm not a fan of those in general, not sure if the new 5.7 is an interference engine or not.

The "newer" V8s are fairly light, probably not far from our heavy inline 6s at all, if I had the money and patience, a 6.1L Hemi swap would be tempting! I think the hardest part would be getting all the computers and electronics to work.

#8 ·
The "newer" V8s are fairly light, probably not far from our heavy inline 6s at all. I think the hardest part would be getting all the computers and electronics to work.
>>Yeah, I personally HATE the electronics part. That is my nightmare when I go into planning swaps. My brother's '67 F250 needed full rewire, and it was carb'd.

PM me if you have any questions.
>>Well, I just need to find a rolled, affordable donor truck to take it from, then find a way to figure something out with the harnesses... I really don't like, nor do I know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to rewiring computers. I can replace and splice wires, and that is about it.

Ya the 4.7 V8... Like our 03 its got this motor with over 250km's on it. No problems at all
The 4.0 is the newer Tacoma motor, 5.7 is Tundra and Sequoia (Brand new). I saw a vid a while back where a guy took a 4.7 v8 and twin turbo'ed it. Sounded amazing
>>4.0 was the update in 2007 I believe as the 5.7 was the 2009(?) update. There was a guy at Toyota before I got my job there with a MKIV Turbo'd 4.7L Tundra powerhouse.

They are also quite tall being from a truck. If you want a more powerful V8 the GM LS motors....
>>Yeah, I would probably have to beef up the hood, which with the already-low visibily, would make driving a nightmare. The V8 LS motors are somthing I don't want to even look into. I have a few friends with those in their cars. No doubt a monster with power, but it also hits your wallet heavily.

I will be doing more research on this whole thing, I am very excited to see where it may end up. But, I may end up buying an older 4runner or something to plow snow with - I don't think my poor Jeep will make it through the Winter...

#4 ·
Interesting ideas. I own a 1993 SC400 that has the 4.0 1UZ V-8 in it. Rated at 250hp, great engine, just lacks a bit of power in these heave cars. I also own a 2008 Tacoma w/ 4.0 V-6. Again, great engine! What ever you decide...stay Toyota and you won't go wrong! ps...both of these engines have been known to go 300k-500k miles with regular maintenance. Just do it right and you will never have to do again. PM me if you have any questions.

#5 ·
Ya the 4.7 V8... came in 2000-2007 Sequoia's. Like our 03 its got this motor with over 250km's on it. No problems at all
The 4.0 is the newer Tacoma motor
5.7 is Tundra and Sequoia (Brand new)
I saw a vid on youtube a while back where a guy took a 4.7 v8 and twin turbo'ed it. Sounded amazing

#9 ·
302's are cheap and easy to find, same goes for building them up and they have already been in at least 2 different MK2s I have seen.

#10 ·
early 1uz is stronger internals than newer uz, and easier electronics to mod for real boost. 2uz is to heavy/big for mkII if you plan to turn at all. For mkII chassis you have to worry more about keeping engine weight down than you do with heavier mkIII or IV. 1uz or ls are the good v8 options if you plan to mod it, 3uz or newer toyota engine if you will leave it stock.

#11 ·
so your wanting a 4.0l v6 from a 4runner? if you want a 6 speed, why not just grab the t56 to a340bh adaptor that is floating all over the place? you can buy the cad drawings for like $25 at v-eight.com. and you could bolt it to a 1uz, or a jz, or an m, or a jeep engine, dodge engine, volvo engine, etc....

#12 ·
All the wind out of my sails. I definitely want to do something with more power, and something that someone has already done, I don't like trekking unknown engine areas...

#14 ·
My current car, the one that I recently did some work to, will remain as a 5m driver. I was going to buy another one to play with, maybe a weekend driver with the swap done. I don't know what to set my mind on as far as an engine yet. I have all the components needed to make a 6m, minus the computer. But I don't need a computer for the 6m until it gets a turbo. I will probably find something somewhere that would be easier than a 30-year difference truck engine swap. But I am young, and have few expenses this early in life, so I might as well live a little. I will probably end up building a 6mgte down the road and getting it into my DD.

I've seen a 351w in a Supra before, and I drove an '82 F250 with a build 351, so I know what the engine is capable of as well as that it does fit and run in a Supra. All I need to do is hunt down an engine and someone who has done the swap before, should I take that VERY heavy route.

#15 ·
dont rush yourself...projects take time and money...lots of money, be wise! everybody asked me if my car is turbo, i dont need a turbo to have fun, maybe down the road i will.

#16 ·
have you driven a turbo mk2? lol

#18 ·
ive driven a mk4 n/a and turbo. didnt care for either, but my 84 mk2 turbo, totally different feel. lol. car just handles completely different.

#28 ·
I thought you guys were talking about the new corvette engine. The LS1 or something. I would love to do something like that, one problem - Ford guy. Then Toyota, then Dodge. And Chevy is almost at the very bottom, just below Daewoo

#22 · (Edited)
This. Also using a TKO600(or a tremec 3550 if you're brave) instead of a t56 could make this swap easier and cheaper. 5.3 and 6.0 iron truck motors can be had for less than a thousand bucks and can make over 400 horsepower naturally aspirated(the 6.0s at least) fairly easily.

#21 ·
woaaa just read that whole thing... i keep getting bad ideas, or good..... hahaha. i really think you should think about getting one of those LS motors...

#24 ·
And don't forget the aftermarket support for everything on the LS series is endless. CPU programming is almost limitless to allow mods to the internals or externals and still have a tune that works. Yes the aluminum block versions are a bit spendy, but iron block motors are darn cheap.

Keith

#25 ·
will t he aluminum pan from the gto fit the 5.3l iron block? i almost forgot about your ls swap. lol. if your ever in my neck of the woods lmk. you can swing by and check out my mess of parts and cars. lol. and id like to see that 82 youve got.

#26 ·
I believe they are are interchangable except the LS7 and LS9s. The blocks are basically cast iron vs of the aluminum LS version. Things like LS1 head are cheap used upgrades for the 5.3 motors. The truck motors have the high intake manifolds and accessory drives but you can use equivalents off the LS motors.

#27 ·
well for a drag car it wouldnt matter quite so much. im thinking a 5.3l, ported ls1 heads, ls6 cam, upgraded springs and retainers, im guessing the ls1 intake would fit with the heads and flow better then the truck unit, so use that, the bw 79/81 turbo setup as twin scroll with 2 44mm tial knockoff wastegates. fmic, all 3in i/c piping, 2 50mm tial knockoff bov's, 3500rpm stall convertor with 4l80e trans, 3.73 with a true track and upgraded axels. shouldnt be too bad to drive on the street but really rip it at the track. or just tub it out with a narrowed 9in rear and call it a day.

#32 ·
OK flush the kiddie logic on engine brand loyalty for a minute.

LS platforms are dirt cheep, plentiful to the tune of MANY millions, have after market support 10x greater than anyone else, and people like Keith have already done the swap....
You want 300 hp and 300 trq and 30+ mpg, get a 4.8 on CL's for 3-4 hundred, and a t56, or any trans-most have adaptors or will fit with OEM part swaps....

Want crazy power and trq with good mpg? 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 turbo, look over at ls1 tech for an insane amount of power options, want great hp and spend a pretty penny- Head cam, exhaust dyno tune any of the above, add in N20 the Ls engines love it even when stock......

Want a light 5.7 Alum block, get a wrecked Camaro for 4k, strip it sell all the extras and have a t56 and ls1 for less than 1500 if you sell the extras.

Do it your way and cut a new path, probably spending more time/money than with an ls engine and have a heck of a time w engine management-use anything thats not LS platform.
Want crappy mpg, use a carb.

I will absolutely admit to wanting a 4.0 or 3.5 Toyota engine with a Toyota 6spd in a MK2, but how much do these take out engines cost, and how much to get the cpu to work? And, you'd prob get just a good mpg w the v8 Ls....

BTW, I bought an ls series cpu reprogrammed and shipped to my door for 100$, and thats for my non ls 5.7 Vortec truck (250 RWHP and 324 RWT BTW), all the support in the world for the ls series....you can get it even for non LS series engines like my 96 chevy truck........

Now I just have to finish my fricken ls into 83 Supra.

Whatever you do, do it, document it, and share the joy of a peppy MK2!

#33 ·
I'm soon *knock on wood* to buy a 1987 MR2 from work. Lady had some work done 5/17/11 and hasn't paid for it, so I"m going to buy it from her and pay the bill for it, then It will be mine. And that will be Supercharged before the Supra gets anything big.

#35 · (Edited)
anyone here got more specifics on the 5.3l that was posted. like if using the ls1 heads, do you also need an ls1 intake? and where to find the wiring diagrams etc... as cheap as this engine is, i think itll be perfect for swapping into my fiances 2006 colorado. its got a 2.8l 4 cylinder in it currently and i have seen pics of ls1 swaps in them. i just need to figure out what mounts are needed etc...

edit: done more searching. bolt in mounts are $150, but they want $1k for wiring. forget that. i can do it myself. just need the diagrams. cant be that much to it. should be able to do the whole swap for ~$1k if i find the setup at the pick and pull yard. shouldnt be too hard to find a tboned truck that has the iron block 5.3 in it.

#36 · (Edited)
William, go over to LS1tech, ANY info you want will be in there and it is attached to an LS truck forum also.
I'm almost positive someones done a V8 Canyon swap (besides GMC)
BTW, 1k for a harness?!?!?!?! Look at LS1 tech for much better deals than that crap!

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/

http://www.355nation.net/forum/class...rado-sale.html

Also
http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-swaps/18479-ls7-alive-4.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-classifieds/1488988-ls2-powered-colorado-sale.html

#37 ·
i found links to 355 nation, though didnt see any wiring diagrams or pinouts. havent checked ls1 tech yet. they have it blocked here at work. as for paying for wiring. no way in hell. ill do it myself. if i had to pay someone to do my wiring it kind of defeats the purpose of my electronics degree. lol. your right others have done the swap already. the place that makes the "custom" $1k harness is like 30min from me. ill prolly buy the mounts and ignition switch from them, but that would be it. and im not even positive id buy the mounts from them. might just make those myself also. depends on the cashflo at the time i do the swap and how my back feels.

#38 ·
Make sure you make a thread over at performance truck so others can benefit....
Good luck w the swap, I'm thinking you'll get er done;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.