Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Rotary Engine swap

13K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  rx7mge 
#1 ·
Im wondering if any type of rotary engine has been ever swapped into any supra. It seems like the MK2 would be the perfect supra to put it in. if the 13b is not enough a 20b should be able to move it. If anyone has any info on rotary swap in any supra please post on here. I will attempt this in the future.

#4 ·
Why would you want to??
No, nobody here like Doritios enough to ruin a Supra with one. I'm being nice, as far as the forum goes for the stereotypically "dumb" question. Another close one would be "does a 2jz fit???????" and "HOW DO I DRIFT THIS SHEEEEEEIIIIIIT!?". Just a heads-up, you are gonna get a lot of rage... Just a heads-up from a once-noob.

#6 · (Edited)
I think the basic answer is it's way too easy to get some bits and put in any one of a variety of Toyota engines that have an OK or even great reputation for performance (7MGTE, 1JZGTE, 2JZGTE, 1UZFE), and in any case those engines will probably be substantially more reliable than a rotary engine, without the hassle of doing all that R&D just to get it to a turn key state.

So yeah not saying it's impossible, but unless you're doing it just to be different (which is ok for some people I guess) then it quickly becomes un-justifiable in terms of time and money put in versus performance/mileage/reliability.

#7 ·
Celica, especially pre-78, would be a MUCH better choice. MKIIs are HEAVY compared to RX-7s....

#8 ·
MKIIs are HEAVY compared to RX-7s....
My thoughts exactly. I think for both cleanliness and power to weight, an early 70's model Corolla maybe a decent option. Or a Celica as aforementioned. The amount of power and torque needed to move the extra weight, you'd just be making 30 year old version of the RX-8. It would handle well, but remain slow unless a lot of money was invested. But I don't know, try it and see I guess..

#10 ·
why would you want to make a mk2 with no tq and sounds like a pissed off bumble bee? a 13b turbo in a 2000lb car, hmm, ok, in a 3000lb car? are you serious?

#12 ·
Rotary motors have no place in these beautiful cars. Just a personal opinion that alot of people might agree with. Keep it toyota...

#14 ·
I have always admired the concept of the rotary engine, but they are problematic and don't get very good mileage. As stated above, a Toyota engine will be more reliable.

#15 ·
26 B would be a perfect fit, and would almost be comparable to a 2J swap. 4MPG anyone. Oh, and expect to spend 12k building it at a minimum.

#16 ·
20B from a Cosmo would be the best choice for a rotary. If you find an importer who sells them, you're looking at $4,000 - $5,500 just for the motor alone. It'd be unique and probably make you e-famous if done right, but for the money there are multiple choices that are more financially sound and better supported.

#17 ·
yea its just a thought right now. im just a rx7 supra guy anything else dosent really interest me. idk why buy when i had my rx7 I loved driving that thing like I do my supra. as time progresses i will find a way. Ive seen a cressida with a 13b in it. 20b has 3 rotors but it will be an expensive build. Like I said currently its just a thought.

#27 ·
seems the current trend is a 1jzgte in a 2nd gen rx7. i wonder why? oh yeah, the whole power and reliability thing.

#21 ·
Yeah, it would HAVE to be the triple rotor 20B to make enough power to keep the Supra fun. Otherwise rotaries don't really make any torque. I saw an RX-7 on a magazine cover that had a 2JZGTE swap. With the other V8 swaps into RX-7's, it seems the RX-7's don't even like the rotaries! LOL By the way, this same question has been asked before, so a little searching would have saved you the embarrassment.

If you're going to go through the trouble of swapping, might as well put something in with some torque like a Northstar V8 or a supercharged 3.8 from a GTP. I DO like it when people do something to be different; just so it ends up working and not being a big disappointment.

#24 ·
Because of the issues of efficiency, longevity, and torque, the rotary has always been best suited to extremely exotic, light weight, 3 or 4 rotor applications. If mazda had been smart, they would have teamed up with lotus to build an affordable lamborghini killer. Trying to compete with extremely reliable, fairly efficient sports cars from japan, over and over, has cost them tens of millions of dollars over the years. Building a 787B for the street should have been a no brainer, after it's incredible success. A first gen MR2 could be interesting though.

#25 ·
As an owner of both an mk2 supra and a 87 rx7, when I go from one to the other, the biggest thing i notice iis the weight. The Supra is kinda chunky. I'll start by saying, if you want to do this, go for it, a turbo might be a better way to go than a 20b as far as $$$ goes. But if it were me, i would for sure go with something lighter. The mk1 Celica everyone mentioned would be an amazing idea, or if you could figure out something for a trans or bell housing a mr2 would also be awesome.

#32 ·
backburner for now. all my money has been going into the 2jz/t56 swap. build threads for both are in the build section.

#29 ·
Triple webers are awesome. A few years ago at the vintage races at Laguna Seca (Monterey, CA - home of the corkscrew for those who don't know!) Toyota was the event sponsor. A buddy and I watched a 2000GT get its webers dialed in and the song is indescribably beautiful! This is the grand mommy of all our M engines and even in 2 liter form sounds and runs great! They also had their F1 car there for all to see up close and experience its on track performance. The only thing even remotely close is some of the CanAm cars and some of the mid to late 70's ground effects F1 cars like the John Player Special Lotus's like Mario Andretti won his championship in. An interesting side note is why the inner loop added to the track in the late 80's is called the Andretti hairpin. It's because at the last Cart race on the old track configuration, Mario tried to take the turn up the hill at the end of the straight flat out and didn't make it. They say the wreck looked like a plane crash with virtually no part of the car even being identifiable! Mario wasn't hurt and he did bring the steering wheel back to the pits though and probably still has it in his trophy room! Anyway, the sound of the F1 car on track was unbelievable! You couldn't really tell where it was because it sounded like it was everywhere all the time. Also running was a few of the multi rotor turbo Mazda GT-P and Group C cars. Great sound but like everyone says, Mazda sure paid the price for the different path they chose. Personally, I liked the Cosmo but a V8 Supra would satisfy me way more. However, to each their own. Just do it right or don't bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.