Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

82 sound in a 83/84

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RobMK2 
#1 ·
i have a 83 parts car.the vin plate says nov 83 so i bleive that would make it an 84. i heard on hear somewhere that the 82 had a 5 speaker surrond system? is this the sub?

See less See more
#2 ·
The US spec MKII's have a 5 speaker system, but it's not a surround sound system (Toyota was not quite that sophisticated back in the 80's). So the answer is no, 82's nor any other year had surround systems from the factory.

Was that speaker underneath the glovebox??

That looks like some sort of replacement speaker. I still have my original blown/not hooked up woofer under my glovebox & I have seen several others in junkyards. None of them have the silver cone in the center, nor were they Hitachi speakers.

#3 ·
ya i was thinking that i should make sure to not say surround but it came out somehow. i meant do all mark 2 have a sub stock? if so that is not the org? any canadians confrim plz also?

#4 ·
If anything, the North America cars all have the 5 speaker Fujitsu system as a stock radio.

And yes, the picture of that woofer is not the original one.

#5 ·
i assume you dont like your tv?

just for future reference, keep magnets WELL away from older tvs ;)

i am sure my blue parts car had a hitachi speaker under the glovebox, but i could be wrong...

the stock stuff is ok, but in almost every car ive ridden in, it was blown and sounded crap at higher volumes.

#7 ·
cool thanks all didnt know they came with subs... any one know how they hook up with after market cd players? or do they?

#8 ·
They don't......

Better yet, if you're talking about the one underneath the glovebox, don't even bother using it. Speaker is too small, no baffle in the back, it's a crappy location & as for sound reproduction....... :throwup: It can't even do much for mid bass frequency's, much less anything in the sub frequency's. Trust us, many peeps have attempted to get some decent sound from it..... different woofers, amps, you name it.... it still sounds like crud....

#10 ·
No one listens to me... 8)

If you want a good sounding stereo without a sub and want to make up for the lack of mid bass up front while keeping everything lookin stock... the stock speaker sounds wonderful hooked up to an amp. The way its mounted, the kick panel works as a baffle. If you're still worried about baffles, canadian tire sells those cups to mount speakers in... they somewhat work. it worked great for me untill Unfortunately the damn thing cooked on me so I baught the mid half of a set of component speakers from a pawn shop for 5 bucks... a 100 watt infinity 6 1/2. it sounds great... but I don't notice it now that I have a couple 12s in the back with 1000 watts driving them. :D but at least I can say I have a 7 speaker system

Yeah... I don't suggest doing this unless you're crazy... like me.

and on that note. I'd like to say that the amps in head units today are useless, even at 45x4 or whatever. hook up a 300 watt 4 channel to even stockers and everything just sounds waaaaaaay better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.