Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

MKII and Autocross?

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  trdmkii 
#1 ·
This may be a very generic question but would an 85 MKII do very well in Autocross?

I am thinking about getting into it here at P.I.R. (Portland International Raceway). I dont know very much about it yet.

Would I be looking at upgrading the brakes and suspention to be competitive or should I look at a different type of car?

I plan on keeping my 85 for about 2 years and then either upgrading to a MKIV or "possibly" a Saleen. I change my mind more than my sons diapers though so who knows.

#2 ·
CRF_Rider said:
This may be a very generic question but would an 85 MKII do very well in Autocross?

I am thinking about getting into it here at P.I.R. (Portland International Raceway). I dont know very much about it yet.

Would I be looking at upgrading the brakes and suspention to be competitive or should I look at a different type of car?

I plan on keeping my 85 for about 2 years and then either upgrading to a MKIV or "possibly" a Saleen. I change my mind more than my sons diapers though so who knows.
Ask Don L, I think he finished 5th over all in the Nationals last year in an 85. I'm pretty sure Mike has some pics on the main website if you want to see it. Pretty sweet ride!

Mike

#3 ·
I run my 83 ptype in the g-stock class here in TN. There isn't much hope for the mk2 on smaller courses due to being overweight, thought on larger courses it may do a little better. As far as being competetive once you start modifications... That is a whole other story. You will be up against some very very quick cars. With only slight modifications, you will be in D-StreetPrepared, with pretty much only aftermarket boltons allowed. The next step would be StreetMod-1.

What you should get all depends on how much money you want to spend overall. You can be somewhat competetive in stock classes with little cost, but being competetive in a higher modified class needs alot of cash. It is my opinion that the mk2 is fairly fast within its class. It will hold its own on a larger course with some good tires and a good driver.

The best modification you can do is seat-time. Make the driver as fast as possible, then the car will follow.

--BillyM

#4 ·
It will take alot of work to make it competitive. Mainly you need really good tires, and another set of wheels to put them on, some good shocks, a good alignment. Those are good for starters, but theres no reason you cant take it out there as is and have fun, learn alot, and meet some really cool people. Brakes are not really an issue as long as they are in good working order, with good pads rotors and well bled high quality brake fluid (Valvoline synthetic 502degrees or Castrol GTX 486degrees are good and cheap). Best thing to do would be to have an expert at the event drive your car while you ride along at first and get a feel for the course at speed and give you a time to aim for (you may be suprised how much faster they are than you even though this was their first time in the car!). My reccomendation is to try it, I have never head of anyone trying it and not liking it. Just make sure your car is safe and go have fun.

#6 ·
If you go for trophies or bragging rights, you'll be disappointed in the short run because of two things. Most importantly, there are many drivers with far more seat time than you and second, the mk2 supra is pretty much outclassed by far more modern cars. It gets worse with modifications because when the challenge is to outspend your competitor as well as outdrive him, then the supra is not the logical choice of platform due to lack of aftermarket support. Seriously, you can get into a used Miata for mk2 money, build seat time and win some bragging rights at least in local events in stock class probably by end of your first season with minimal investment. There are enough stock Miatas at any given event that they sort of race against each other, to hell with any other cars in their class and so there's some comeraderie there. If you take a mk2, you'll be the only mk2 most likely and the SCCA indexing doesn't take into consideration enough to fairly handicap cars so you really don't even know who to beat for bragging rights. First and second gen Mr2 is also popular and plentiful at autocross tho not as much as the Miata. I keep saying this is MY plan, but then something always comes up to keep me from buying one of these admitedly effiminate but fast little rockets, mabe NEXT season.

Phil D.

#7 ·
I think there are definitely better platforms for AutoX than the MkII, but I don't want a miata, I like my MkII. But I also believe the FTD stands for "Funest time fo the day".
If you are looking for bragging rights then I think you would do best with a more competitive platform, but the others are very correct in saying that the drive is a HUGE part of the equation. I belong to the local Corvette club and there is a guy with a stock 205HP 1984 vette that runs right on the heels of the faster Z06's in my club at our AutoX events. He has clearly shown me that the driver is a big part of the equation!

#8 ·
Autox is a blast regardless of what place you finish. The Mk2 IS a heavy car compare to others in the same stock class. In stock class not more than shocks, front sway bar, exhaust is legal. With those limitations a bunch of other cars in G-Stock would be faster. (Ford Focus SVT, Civic Si, Sentra SER, Celica 94+, Audi A4). In Street Prepared, a lot of susp stuff is allowed, intake/exhaust, engine tuning but no pistons, cams or turbos).
I compete pretty well in this class, but the car was developed over several years and is constantly evolving.

You have a turbo ? That puts you right into Street-Mod which means you can do whatever else you want and be legal (almost !). You will have a blast, cuz when that turbo kicks in, especially on longer courses, you will be grinning ear to ear :) Minimum stuff I'd suggest for that class is lowering springs, bars, camber plates in front, widest wheels you can get that offer good tire selection. Race tires are actually a good investment, so you don't waste those expensive street tires. I run 16x9.5 wheels with a 245/45-16 Hoosier or Kumho. Front will require coilover to fit probably,
especially with zero offset wheels. Brake are fine stock, just get good pads. You will get lots of inside rear tire spin, that's due to several factors, worn out LSD, too much forward lean on the cars rake, not enough front bar, too stiff rear bar. Cars look cool with that lower front end look, but too much can cause lots of oversteer or traction problems coming out of turns on power (especially with a turbo).
If you want a competitive stock class car, you can't get any better than a 2nd gen MR2. Runs in E-Stock, and is the perfect autox car for stock. '93-'95 is best. I have a '95 non-turbo, and it really is pretty awesome for handling. My back up car for autox.

Don L.

#10 ·
Well I have never autocrossed my mkII so I can't tell you how it does. That said I agree that the best thing you can do is get seat time. Attend every race you can and try to do as many schools as you can. Try to make friends with the local hot shoes and ask them to ride with you and give you pointers. This helps a lot as well as riding along with them. You will hear a lot about being smooth, and there is a lot of truth to that especially with a turbo. Stay in the Novice class for the first year or until you start winning.

I believe that they now have a street tire class as well that would be a good class to move to until you are ready to move to race tires. I have been told not to use race tires until you can drive better than the car will handle. It is much easier to learn the limits of the car on street tires than race tires. There is a local Miata guy running CSP with no motor mods only suspension and race tires who is beating Corvettes on short courses and S2000 and such on the longer ones. So that should tell you the driver and handling are more important than power.

Phil, come on out next event, we don't bite and I know we are right down the street from you. I am in a dark blue first gen Miata with tan top and #17 on the side.

I AX a Miata and the benefit to that is there is always a lot of them no matter what event you are at. They are always friendly and willing to give advise. Once you are in they will keep you in the loop of what events are going on and who all is attending.

#11 ·
think everyone hit the main points: have fun and seat time. Making friends is a big part of it too. It's why I like autox way more than any other ametuer sport I've attended/competed in. In autox, I haven't found one person that won't help you out in setting up your car, course pointers, or offering rides just so you know what its like to go really fast. :shock:

I haven't personally autox a MA60 but I would think it would be a similar experience to my AE86's. kick it sideways here and there (cause you know you will and its fun hehe) and don't be afraid to hit cones. if I go a day without hitting cones I wasn't pushing hard enough. plus cone marks buff right out or paint the car primer and don't worry about it 8)

#12 ·
lol, cone marks do buff out with a buffer and a couple hours, my wife decided she wanted to take my 85 for a spin around the course, I rode with her the first time and it kinda felt like a nice sunday drive.

of course, she get's into the car the second time with a friend of hers and roars off like a bat out of hell, about half way through the course, while I'm picking up my drink and not watching her, I hear tires start to sqawl and women screaming, I look up to see my car spinning out of control, cones flying everywhere (and workers running for their lives). She got 3 full 360s in and took out a whole Chicago box obsticle before coming to rest.

lol, that was about the funniest thing I'd seening in years.

Mike

#13 ·
mwebber said:
lol, cone marks do buff out with a buffer and a couple hours, my wife decided she wanted to take my 85 for a spin around the course, I rode with her the first time and it kinda felt like a nice sunday drive.

of course, she get's into the car the second time with a friend of hers and roars off like a bat out of hell, about half way through the course, while I'm picking up my drink and not watching her, I hear tires start to sqawl and women screaming, I look up to see my car spinning out of control, cones flying everywhere (and workers running for their lives). She got 3 full 360s in and took out a whole Chicago box obsticle before coming to rest.

lol, that was about the funniest thing I'd seening in years.

Mike

lol that sounds funny, poor car i hope it came out ok.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.