Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Tranny removal - do you really have to remove PS rack?!?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Voyn238 
#1 ·
Crap! I was all set to drop my tranny out, when I decided to check the Haynes manual to see if I was forgetting anything. They said to remove the PS rack.... I hadn't even thought of that, and it seems like a hell of a lot of trouble. Is this absolutely necessary? I had planned on supporting the engine with blocks of wood between the firewall and the back of the engine, wouldn't that provide enough clearance?

#3 ·
Yea those manuals will have you remove the engine. To change out the spark plugs.

No you don't have to remove the steering rack. Actually it's just the oposite. To remove the steering rack. It's easier to pull the tranny 1st. I just did both today. Went to the junkyard and scored a lot of stuff. The eninge won't need supported. It's mounted in there pretty good. Just unbolt the driveshaft and then unbolt the trans. Good Luck

#4 ·
drain your tranny fluid, pull out the shifter, unbolt and remove the driveshaft at the center bearing and separate the two halves, pull the starter, unbolt the slave cylinder, unbolt the bellhousing from the engine and the rear support under the tailshaft and voila, one tranny comes out.

hrmm...now that i think about it, i think i had to unbolt some of my exhaust to get the tranny out without it crushing the y-pipe and cat on the way down.

#5 ·
Otay, nevermind, I had forgotten my first rule of car work - call someone who knows! Thanks, Jeff T., for providing invaluable advice yet again... Got the tranny out without removing the PS rack, no problemo. Except, of course, for the usual PITA factor inherent in any kind of tranny work in the Mk2 :)

I didn't even bust a knuckle this time!

I think my shiny new urethane engine mounts helped out quite a bit in keeping the engine steady. They're technically GM tranny mounts made by Energy Suspension, but they are *remarkably* similar to the Mk2 engine mount. More on that later!

#7 ·
LOL, sorry, I was just a lil' tired from pulling the tranny out and didn't feel like typing much more than that...

Anyways, here's the page they're on, a little less than halfway down:

http://www.energysuspension.com/prod1.html

The info of course deals with them being used as tranny mounts, but if you look at the pictures, the GM mount matches up *really* well with the Mk2 engine mount. There are 3 threaded holes in the top, and instead of using the 2 outer ones as shown in the pictures, I went to the hardware store and found a stud with matching thread (7/16 maybe, but don't quote me) and threaded it down into the center hole to imitate the bolt thread that sticks up from the stock mount. I also of course picked up a matching lock nut for each.

You'll also need to do some trimming with a cutoff tool (or a hacksaw, if you're the masochist type) to make the lower mounting surface's shape match up to that of the stock mounts. The GM mount has a rectangular shape, and the stock engine mount has the same general shape, but with the corners cut off.

Other than these two mods, it's a drop-in fit! Of course, I haven't driven the car with them yet, but hopefully soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.