I want a stainless 3" exhaust!

• I can do the welding (eyes and hanger). $0 extra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Please do the welding for me (eyes and hangers) $75 extra

Votes: 0 0.0%

U-Do-It Stainless Exhaust Pipes

6K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  jdk_ii 
#1 ·
Stainless 304 Everlast (the good stuff).

Mandrel bent, 3" diameter.

Two pipes. One from cat to rear sub-frame.
Sub-frame to muffler. Like the original HKS setup.

One set of eye brackets, 3 hangers.

You supply -> the muffler (your choice), and the welding.
Some cutting will be required, as this will be made to
fit both short and long cats.

Approx. $150 (depends on quantity).

Interested?

#2 ·
Jim, when were you planning on getting this done. I was planning on buying all the tubing and misc parts to make mine this weekend or next. I'm not in a huge hurry or anything, but I'm getting a little anxious to just do it. Especially since I have access to a welder the next couple of weeks. I would definetely wait a little while for a actual mandrel bent pipe though. So count me as a possible yes. I would prefer the hanger and everything possible were in place, it would make the job a lot easier. I assume by "eye brackets" you mean the flanges? I can't think of anything else that looks like an eye on the exhaust system, especially a hanger :) . BTW 316L is the good stuff, although overkill on an automotive exhaust.

#3 ·
SilverMk2 said:
Jim, when were you planning on getting this done. I was planning on buying all the tubing and misc parts to make mine this weekend or next. I'm not in a huge hurry or anything, but I'm getting a little anxious to just do it. Especially since I have access to a welder the next couple of weeks. I would definetely wait a little while for a actual mandrel bent pipe though. So count me as a possible yes. I would prefer the hanger and everything possible were in place, it would make the job a lot easier. I assume by "eye brackets" you mean the flanges? I can't think of anything else that looks like an eye on the exhaust system, especially a hanger :) . BTW 316L is the good stuff, although overkill on an automotive exhaust.
I expect the first prototype in the next two weeks or less.

I have to negotiate with a local stainless welder, but he's not busy.

Sure 316L is the really good stuff, but adds to the price.

They even have this special stainless coating that makes is super slippery.
Used at NASA. But at $100 a tube, not really worth it.

I need to resolve the muffler choice, as I'm thinking a Borla Hemi
will be big enough and quiet enough.

Note: one will have to do the mating of the cat end and muffler end,
as these are the most variable.

The only flanges will be back at the cross member.

#4 ·
I am in, Jim. I was planning to use the Magnaflow SS straight through muffler. I don't remember the model, but somebody just posted pics of the same muffler installed within the past week. So there will be flanges welded at both the muffler and cat ends? Cool! 2 weeks is good, just tell us when to send the money. I need to get the exhaust replaced before I can do any real tuning with the MAF conversion and the Wide-band O2.

Any chance this guy could make me a 3" downpipe for my IHI turbo? No one makes one for my application. I could pull my elbow and trace the bolt pattern and mail it to you....Let me know.

#5 ·
Oh, one other question, Have you considered running a resonator between the cat and muffler to quiet it down a little? I know that Dynomax make a nice one for around $35 from Summit.

#6 ·
More details.

They need to do this soon, OR, in 3-4 weeks.

It's their production schedule.

My design idea is:

- cat to rear cross member. Cat end is slightly longer
than stock, so you can custom fit your converter. Cut-to-fit.
Cross member end will have a welded flange. Factory-like hanger.

- Cross member to muffler. Flange at cross member,
about 5" straight pipe where the muffler is. This gives
some flexibility in muffler choices. One hanger welded in the back.
The others hangers need to be welded at the muffler's rear.

- Muffler. Looking at a custom made 5x9 oval. Possibly
20-24" long. Single IN, dual OUT. Extra stainless wool for quiet.
Extra cost. Unknown.

- Resonator. 4" barrel, 3" at each end. 24" long. Extra cost.
Maybe $50? Will require clamps or welding. Will have to cut
the cat to cross member pipe.

#8 ·
Supra Bob said:
Jim,

Does that $150 price include the muffler? If it does, you better believe I'll be in on it. Just need to find a place to fab up a downpipe for me now..
That would be sweet, but no muffler included in the price.

Think of it this way. $150 for the pipes. $100 for a Borla-like quality muffler.
$50 install labor (at a muffler shop). And all in stainless. $300.

I doubt you'll even find a common pre-made kit for this price.

Even a piece-yourself from Burns Stainless will cost more.

#10 ·
For the downpipe, would I need to send them my elbow and downpipe, or could I just send a tracing of the bolt pattern and they could follow the path of your ct26 downpipe???

#11 ·
jdk_ii said:
More details.

They need to do this soon, OR, in 3-4 weeks.

It's their production schedule.

My design idea is:

- cat to rear cross member. Cat end is slightly longer
than stock, so you can custom fit your converter. Cut-to-fit.
Cross member end will have a welded flange. Factory-like hanger.

- Cross member to muffler. Flange at cross member,
about 5" straight pipe where the muffler is. This gives
some flexibility in muffler choices. One hanger welded in the back.
The others hangers need to be welded at the muffler's rear.

- Muffler. Looking at a custom made 5x9 oval. Possibly
20-24" long. Single IN, dual OUT. Extra stainless wool for quiet.
Extra cost. Unknown.

- Resonator. 4" barrel, 3" at each end. 24" long. Extra cost.
Maybe $50? Will require clamps or welding. Will have to cut
the cat to cross member pipe.
I will have money end of next week. If it has to wait 3-4 weeks, that is fine with me. Probably reduces the chance of my wife divorcing me :lol: The muffler you are describing sounds good. I definitely want a resonator. I like the idea of the quiet assassin - ninja exhaust at idle. So around $350 for complete exhaust with resonator and muffler welded up and ready to install?

#18 ·
Jim,

Now I am really into it... I just qouted my Supra for a full 3" cat back w/o muffler and ask me for 400 bucks and if this is gonna be for 150 I might as well get one and my friend can weld it up for me... LMK and also pics... July would be a good month for a group buy for since I am still tied up with my turbo upgrade

#19 ·
Pipes received today.

Very good quality stainless 304.

The bends are nice and mandrel smooth.

They do have some gripper marks (where the arm
holds the outside of the pipe). Nothing major that some emery cloth
shouldn't fix.

They will be painted black with charcoal grille paint (the ceramic bonding type).

The stuff sticks like glue, and holds very well to stainless (a tough
substance to get most anything to stick too).

Will post pics this weekend.

Jim

#20 ·
Sounds good, Jim. For the muffler, take a look a the SS straight-through Magnaflow that Phil Dupler was recommending. Everyone that has ever installed a Magnaflow has been pretty happy, especially with a resonator.

#21 ·
Jim, any pics of your new cat-back installed? Thanks.

#25 ·
Jim King... when would the new 3" cat back available on public... can't wait to buy the 3" cat back for my turbo project so that I don't have to get to the hassle having one made for 300+ since it would both be mandrel bent

LMK

#26 ·
3000cc MK2 said:
Jim King... when would the new 3" cat back available on public... can't wait to buy the 3" cat back for my turbo project so that I don't have to get to the hassle having one made for 300+ since it would both be mandrel bent

LMK
Trying to finalize the muffler. Then it get's installed. I hope this will
occur in the next two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.