Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Pinion seal, axle seal replacement

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Donn29 
#1 ·
My father-in-law and I are getting ready to attempt to replace these two seals on the differential. I have several questions: Are there any special service tools needed? How difficult a job is this i.e. how long should it take? Also I would love to hear from anybody who has done this or something similar. I'd like to know what to expect. Or should I just let a pro do it? Any advice or suggestions are welcome. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The pinion seal isn't really something you can change easily in the driveway. You also need to buy a new crush sleeve to do it. Basically you need to remove the diff; pop the rear cover off; pull the axle; remove the center LSD chunk, loosen the pinion nut and remove the pinion. In other words take the entire thing apart. You can then get at the seal. You also need to set the pinion to ring backlash correctly on install. I'd recommend removing the diff yourself and just take it to a diff shop. It would be a good time to install a true trac or rebuild the stock LSD and install new bearings as well. HTH

#3 ·
SilverMk2 said:
The pinion seal isn't really something you can change easily in the driveway. You also need to buy a new crush sleeve to do it. Basically you need to remove the diff; pop the rear cover off; pull the axle; remove the center LSD chunk, loosen the pinion nut and remove the pinion. In other words take the entire thing apart. You can then get at the seal. You also need to set the pinion to ring backlash correctly on install. I'd recommend removing the diff yourself and just take it to a diff shop. It would be a good time to install a true trac or rebuild the stock LSD and install new bearings as well. HTH
whats the norm price range for a rebuild?

#4 ·
I've been given quote's starting at $1K. That's why it's cheaper to just replace it instead w/ a used or reman/refurbished unit.

#5 ·
For mine I spent the following;

$550 for a PowerBrute LSD
$150 for the remain Toyota parts (bearings, seals, crush sleeves, etc.)
$150-200 for the bearings for the LSD and to have Sean at River City Diffs to install it all.

I did the R&I on the pumpkin and did all the paint work myself.

You can save money by buying the True Trac for like ~$350 instead or just buy all the clutchs, shims, etc from Toyota and rebuild the stocker. I think the True Trac is a better deal. Figure its probably around another ~200 in part and labor to rebuild the stocker, so why not just spend a little more and upgrade. HTH

#6 ·
how much better is the truetrac, does it just lock up quicker or is it less prone to becoming pumpkin pie? (for those of us who think its quite a chunk of change)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.