Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

83-84 engine swap

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  289harper 
#1 ·
Recently I've had a lot of issues with my engine and got a great deal on a new one from a member of this forum. I own an 84 supra 5mge manual. The engine I got was for an 84 supra automatic. The problem I am running into is the input shaft of the tranny hits the back of the crank with about 1/4" before it would mount to the engine. I have spent the last 3 days looking for a thread that says anything about the crankshaft difference between auto and manual. I'm sure plenty of people have done a swap like this and has information on this. Thank you!

#5 ·
So the problem is that the input shaft is too far away from the block? If so then try switching the engine mounts around.

#6 ·
The problem I am having is the input shaft meets the crankshaft with about 1/4" before the tranny mounts up. That's as far in as it will go before I would have to run it down with bolts (which I won't due, don't want to break anything on the bellhousing). I put a little grease in where the pilot bearing goes without the pilot in to see if it really meets. It went through all the grease and was pressed against the crank.

#7 ·
Is it possible that the input shaft started pulling out of the transmission when you separated the old engine from the trans? You might be able to tap it back into the trans with a plastic dead-blow hammer or rubber mallet. There is NO difference between the crankshafts, so that isn't the culprit.

#10 ·
So the problem I am having now is that when it all gets mounted up it locks up the engine and I cannot turn it by hand anymore. Looking at the old crank it looks like the input shaft has warn a groove in it and created a place for it to ride without hitting anymore. Not sure if that's normal, but certainly doesn't seem like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.