true trac writeup - Page 23

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    CelicaSupra.com Member MrBubbles00482's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by williamb82 View Post
    The carrier bearing part numbers listed in this thread are NOT for the stock LSD. They are for the truetrack, which has a larger inner diameter for the carrier bearings.

Thank you for the clarification William. Since I'm staying stock LSD with a weir kit I'll use the 90368-45002 bearing.
    1985 P-type "Elvira" Blue inside out.
    2jzge/w58 swapped

MECP advanced autotech

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    My delimna is the ring and pinion. I have been through 2 roaring/whining diffs and don't want to waste money on another one. My opinion is that they will last if you drive them on the street but if you take them to the dragstrip they just won't hold 400 hp after 5 to 10 runs. I have followed several posts and most of them are complaints about theirs whining also. My second one came from someone on these forums everyone raves about but it roared the day I put it in and after making a few runs at the dragstrip it started roaring so bad I was embarrassed to drive it through my neighborhood.

If I do decide to go back with the same thing (which I don't want to do), do we have a Toyota online guy we can buy the parts wholesale from?

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    My used 3.73s have been super quiet behind 550+ horsepower even after track days etc. It is all in the setup, and I use a 80W140 gear oil due to the extra heat.
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Good to know.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    What were your quarter mile times and mph?

I don't do drag racing much - more roadcourse lapping. Years ago I ran a 12.1xx at around 125 mph. If your replacement ring and pinion that 'roared' right after installation didn't have severe preexisting damage, then the set-up was not correct.
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Who set it up? There are a million DIY diff rebuild vids on Youtube, but you can not learn all of the ins and outs just from watching a vid. I do everything myself, except diff setup. I take mine to a buddy who is a Toyota tech and does these at work all day. I've done enough with him to be comfortable doing them on my own now, but when I have one that really needs to hold a lot of power, I'll be going back to him.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    Pinion preload is key to a quiet diff. Get it wrong, and it will howl like crazy! Carrier preload is important too, but most howling is due to the pinion.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

And contact pattern, especially if you are swapping different gears into your housing. I have found to get a good pattern on used gears you often end up with backlash on the high end of the spec, which is fine.

Pattern on both drive (especially drive) and coast should be as good as you can get it, and pinion preload needs to be accurate (recommend a solid spacer here). Side shim preload should be set so that the second 'washer' shim you install can go in about halfway by hand and tapped in the rest of the way with a brass drift and hammer. Backlash spec is .003 to .007 but I find used gears usually end up in the .005 to .010 range when the pattern is perfect. Any adjustment in backlash affects the pattern as well. Spec for the truck 7.5" diffs is .003 to .010

3.73s in my Supra ended up at .009 backlash with a perfect pattern both sides and are whisper quiet even with all the poly in my car and minimal sound deadening. Many track miles on that diff too - again I use an 80W140 oil and 'bellows' style sealed diff breather due to all the heat in a diff that only holds around 1 liter of lubricant.

Thread Information