true trac writeup - Page 3

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    i just finished doing this swap on my diff, a few notes from my experience:

if you are using the same gearset you removed, you can reuse the spacer washers from the pinion and gear side of the carrier

the spacer washer on the other side will probably need to be thinner, as the truetrac housings on average are a little wider than the stock LSD

the 'cap' on the carrier bearing race on the 'gear' side has a funny marking on the top of it, if you get them mixed up

USE NEW CRUSH WASHERS

if you are replacing the bearings, get a shop to take off the inner pinion bearing from the pinion shaft, the outer one comes off when you take out the pinion, and the carrier bearings are not reused - then put the new races in an ice bath with salt to cool them off (or put them in the deep freeze overnight) and they almost drop in with very little tapping required

follow the TSRM instructions for installing the pinion the first time (no slinger or spacer) and use some gear marking compound to check the contact area - if it checks out with all the spacer washers in place, you are good to go as far as backlash is concerned, and the checking distance should not be an issue, if you reuse the same gears and use the same pinion spacer washer

finally, you can use gear oil without friction modifier - like red line 75W90NS racing gear oil, or similar since the truetrac is a torsen unit and doesnt need any friction modifier
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Dangerous Ken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbaacchhyy
    Just got prices from the local Aussie Toyrota dealer as follows (prices are in Aussie bucks...)

toyota part numbers
    90366-35023-77 inner pinion bearing $124.63
    90368-50006 carrier bearing (2 required) $77.62
    90311-38010 pinion seal $35.97
    90311-38011 side seals(2 required) $27.48
    41182-22011 cover gasket $15.52
    41231-22010 crush sleeve $25.21
    90179-18001 pinion nut $8.95

Willaim, how does that compare with the priices that you paid ? I will try and get better prices, but it all adds up to about USD $315 :shock:
    Michael,

If Jeff can't ship international, I could pick them up for you and ship.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by williamb82
    toyota part numbers
    90366-35023-77 inner pinion bearing
    90368-50006 carrier bearing (2 required)
    90311-38010 pinion seal
    90311-38011 side seals(2 required)
    41182-22011 cover gasket
    41231-22010 crush sleav
    90179-18001 pinion nut

~$150 total

The $150.00 for the Toyota parts was list price - 25%. My cost at the time. The prices may very well have gone up since then. All parts are stock MKII diff. parts with the exception of the carrier bearings.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

A few helpful hints:

1. Use a stock MKII diff. case that contains the desired gear set ratio that you want. The original diff. assembly has been machined for it's "original" gear set and the pinion shaft depth has been set accordingly at the factory. This will help reduce any possible need to have to adjust the pinion shaft depth.

2. You must use a matched ring and pinion gear set that has minimal wear and is otherwise suitable for reuse.

3. The inner pinion bearing must be replaced with the exact same new bearing in order to allow for using the same inner pinion bearing shim. This will keep the pinion shaft depth the same as it was before. (very important!)

4. You will most likely need a small assortment of carrier adjusting shims in order to achieve both the proper ring and pinion backlash and carrier bearing preload. You must get these two parameters dead on the money! (very important!)

5. The pinion shaft bearing preload changes rapidly once zero endplay is reached by tightening the pinion shaft nut. Use a long breaker bar on the pinion nut to provide plenty of leverage to crush the sleeve. Pinion bearing preload will increase rapidly with only small tightening increments once zero endplay is reached. If you go to far and preload the pinion bearings beyond spec., you'll need to start over with a new crush sleeve. Do not back off the nut to decrease the preload! (very important!)

6. Check the pinion shaft and ring gear for runout using a precision dial guage

7. Be sure to check the contact pattern of the ring and pinion gear teeth. Replacing the inner pinion bearing with an "exact" replacement and retaining the stock pinion shaft shim is very crucial for this step!

HTH!

I can provide the parts, and will ship internationally. Please e-mail aaron@rabidchimp.com for a shipping quote.
    -Aaron
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Lakewood, WA

Providing parts and service to Mk2 Supra owners since 1999
    Send me a text message: 253-353-5140
    Last day of business will be 12-31-13

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraDude117's Avatar
    Hey Aaron, if I buy the Tru Trac diff on your site will it change the gearing? I don't want my speedometer to be thrown off.

-DJ
    Agatha, 84 P-Type 7MGTE, sleeping in the garage. Hidden Content
    Kadena, 86 P-Type, 6MGE, Waiting for a new throw out bearing.Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    the truetrac is a lsd unit. the gearing is up to you.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraDude117's Avatar
    Ahh, learn something new everyday! It all makes sense now... Thanks

-Dave
    Agatha, 84 P-Type 7MGTE, sleeping in the garage. Hidden Content
    Kadena, 86 P-Type, 6MGE, Waiting for a new throw out bearing.Hidden Content

Bay_707
    true trac part number
    911A342

called reider racing and said that this is a front differential and that using it in the rear might void the warranty?

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    dont know if it voids the warrenty or not but thats the right one. its for the front of a toyota 4x4 truck with ifs and 7.5in diff. don lew has had the older style truetrac in his car for several years and autocrosses on it competivly and ive had mine the newer style for over a year with no problems.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

Thread Information