UK Supra Listings

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member

UK Supra Listings

Rather than maintain multiple threads (especially as quite a few of these cars have cropped up recently), I'll post any new listings I spot in this thread instead. That way anyone interested can subscribe for updates.

Latest one, a reasonably original black 1985 manual/5-speed with 129,000 miles in Dunstable for 3,250:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CEL...5/121964431831

New paint job, the original Toyota alloys have been refurbished, the car has many things you may not expect for its age, Electric sunroof, Electric Windows, power Steering, all in working condition, this was one of Toyota,s
    Flag ship cars of its day and a tribute to its quality engineering
    For further info and to view 07970600667
    Not a brilliant description, but I've seen worse. Things I notice:
    • Original radio/tape deck
    • Clean engine bay with reasonably tasteful cam covers
    • Rust seems to be under control
    • Aftermarket exhaust but factory air intake
    • Missing decals implies tailgate has been repaired at some point
    • Power antenna replaced with a static whip
    • Interior looks clean and well cared for

I think the price is a little low for a good condition car like this.
    Rob - 100% British
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - 1986 White P-Type (UK model), 5M-GE, manual, digital dash, cone air filter & stainless-steel exhaust, 176HP, Beloved DD
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Celicasteve68's Avatar
    Good idea Rob, yes there are a few coming up on the UK market recently, this being the cheapest and the most expensive one is the red "A" reg one formerly belonging to Bob King.

It seems they're being sought after by "investment" buyers rather than a car enthusiast.
    Hidden Content Sufferer of an incurable disease called Celica-supralitus. Also lifelong OCD ( Obesessive Cleaning Disorder ).

Hidden Content

Does the letter at the beginning of the registration indicate year, or "original owner", or what?

I remember seeing an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" where they made some statements about wanting to keep the original registration number.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Celicasteve68 View Post
    Good idea Rob, yes there are a few coming up on the UK market recently, this being the cheapest and the most expensive one is the red "A" reg one formerly belonging to Bob King.

It seems they're being sought after by "investment" buyers rather than a car enthusiast.
    So my dad was right, that IS Bob's car!

Well, much as I'd rather they be driven by people who appreciate them, at least investment means the value of our cars should continue to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Does the letter at the beginning of the registration indicate year, or "original owner", or what?

I remember seeing an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" where they made some statements about wanting to keep the original registration number.

- Jim
    In the UK, cars keep the same registration for each owner, so yes, there is a lot of information in them. Vanity plates are an option but they're expensive.

In the format B911 JRP:
    -B is the year of registration. A is August 1983 to August 1984, B is August 1984 to August 1985 and so on
    -911 is random
    -JRP is a code for the DVLA office it was registered in. In this case, JR means Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The P is probably random.

Dragon is C101 END, which translates to (March) 1986 in Manchester.

In 2001, our license plate formats were changed. They now follow the format MC53 BDX, where:
    -MC now specifies the DVLA office, in this case Manchester.
    -53 means second half of 2003 - with old plates, there was 1 registration per year, now there's 2 - March and August. The 2 digits should be a year number; for the second half, 5 is added to the first digit, so August 2016 will be 66.
    -BDX is random.
    Rob - 100% British
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - 1986 White P-Type (UK model), 5M-GE, manual, digital dash, cone air filter & stainless-steel exhaust, 176HP, Beloved DD

Quote Originally Posted by Gargravarr View Post
    In the UK, cars keep the same registration for each owner, so yes, there is a lot of information in them. Vanity plates are an option but they're expensive.
    Okay, so when you say that cars keep the same registration for each owner, that means what?
    Do you mean that the car retains the original registration number even if it is purchased by a second owner? Or the car retains the registration number as long as the original owner has title? From you example with Dragon, it sounds like the former; I suspect that you are far too young to have had her yourself since 1986!

From Jim's comment about the television show "Wheeler Dealers" wanting to keep the original registration number, there must be instances in which the registration number is surrendered. Must the registration be active over the car's lifetime? If the car is not licensed for several years when it's layed up for instance?

I am always confused about this because in Canada the "License Plate" is used to show that the vehicle is currently insured. Proof of ownership is a document that you must carry in the vehicle and present to the authorities on demand (getting caught speeding!)

In Vancouver Canada, one keeps the "License Plate" as long as it is continually "licensed" and on the street. When I layed my car up for a year while I was doing some work on her I let the licensing period expire and kept the plate. When I put her back on the road again, I brought the original plate back to the Insurance Agency and they affix a decal with the day/month/year of the insurance expiry. If I cancel the insurance before the date indicated by the decal I have to turn in my license plate so that the authorities can tell that I am driving without insurance. When I insure the car to put her back on the street I will then receive a new license plate.

Sorry for going on so long, but like Jim, I see English television shows with registration numbers and I have never seen a really good explanation of how they are administered.

I find it interesting that even though England is the mother country, some practices are totally foreign to us Canucks!

Dale
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supraz View Post
    Okay, so when you say that cars keep the same registration for each owner, that means what?
    Do you mean that the car retains the original registration number even if it is purchased by a second owner? Or the car retains the registration number as long as the original owner has title? From you example with Dragon, it sounds like the former; I suspect that you are far too young to have had her yourself since 1986!

From Jim's comment about the television show "Wheeler Dealers" wanting to keep the original registration number, there must be instances in which the registration number is surrendered. Must the registration be active over the car's lifetime? If the car is not licensed for several years when it's layed up for instance?
    What I mean Dale is that the car's assigned registration number is supposed to be for life

We don't really have the concept of 'titles' over here. The registration and VIN are pretty much tied for the life of the vehicle. Old registrations don't really 'drop out' of the system; I think it's possible to ask the DVLA to release an old registration that's inactive if you want it as a vanity plate, but in that instance I think the DVLA contact the current registered keeper and ask if they intend to reactivate the registration - this happens when the vehicle is declared 'off the road'. An active registration has road tax attached to it.

In England, there is a separation between registration, ownership and insurance. The DVLA only keep track of who is responsible for registering and taxing a vehicle; the legal owner can be anyone. A friend whose father was a mechanic would often transfer ownership of vehicles to him long before he was able to apply for a license, and he still doesn't have one! There is also a fairly loose dependency; you require both insurance and a valid MOT (yearly inspection report) to tax a vehicle, but you can keep the vehicle off the road for as long as you like without insurance. You're supposed to renew the off-road notification (SORN) every year, but I'm sure some fall through the cracks.

There is no indication on the car itself whether it is insured, and after October last year, taxed - we used to display a tax disc on the windshield, but that's now all electronic. We don't have to carry registration or insurance certificates in the car, since if we're pulled over by the police, they will always check insurance is valid, either against their own database or by calling the insurer directly. I keep my insurance certificates in my wallet anyway. Since everything moved to electronic tracking, a roadworthy car looks no different to a non-roadworthy car (well, besides the obvious!). Uninsured drivers are a big problem over here; only cop cars with license-plate readers can spot them.

The problem Wheeler Dealers probably ran into was that the registration was inactive for so long, the DVLA might have received a request for someone to have it as a vanity plate (certain old styles of plate are quite popular, it seems), and if they didn't have an up-to-date address for the keeper, they probably let it go through. Ergo, the car could be locked up in a barn for 10 years with its factory license plates, but when trying to reactivate them, the number has been transferred to someone else.

Dragon has indeed held the same registration since 1986 - it's 4 years older than me! The number is assigned when the car is first registered by the first owner (generally done by the dealer) and then gets transferred from owner to owner. I don't know what the deal with private/vanity plates is, but I think the car's original registration is normally retained - the Subaru I just bought was run on private plates by the previous owner, but reverted back to its initial registration when he sold it to me.
    Rob - 100% British
    Hidden Content

Thanks for the explanation.

Here in California, the plate stays with the car, UNLESS it's a vanity plate that you want to keep, in which case you fill out another form that lets the owner keep the plate to transfer to a new vehicle.

That's what I've had to do to keep my license plates because they have my Amateur Radio callsign on them.

Back in Illinois, the plate stayed with the owner, or at least they did up until 1982 when I moved from Illinois to California.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

This has been reduced from 10,000 to 8,000. That's quite a big reduction, it seems that they aren't that popular with the general "Investment people". There can't be that many true enthusiasts of these cars around anymore, or the price is just way too much.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-TOYOT...8AAOSwGYVXBV5Q
    Hidden Content Sufferer of an incurable disease called Celica-supralitus. Also lifelong OCD ( Obesessive Cleaning Disorder ).

Hidden Content

A few years ago I went to look at this one, it seems to have improved. It's disappointing that the tailgate has been painted but hasn't finished it with decals.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C749609

Hidden Content

Aren't those L-Type rims on it?

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Thread Information