Push gas pedal all the way down and no go.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member

Push gas pedal all the way down and no go.

Itís a 85mk2 auto. First of this car is a friend of mine. He had some one swap a low mileage engine. When he received the car it ran fine and all the only problem was it had trouble starting cold. So he took the car back and after a longtime of waiting he got the car back in worst condition. The guy copped up the wiring blahblahblah ÖÖ. The worse problem the car has is that on Drive when I push the gas down all the way down the car wont go. If I press the gas for normal driving it feels fine on first gear then after the tranny shifts to second it doesnít pull even if I press the gas down it donít go. The fastest the car goes is about 50mph. When the car is on N or P and u rev the engine the RPMs clime fine and the engine feels powerful. The engine doesnít smoke from the exhaust. I rewired his wirring(engine harnest) and still no improvement. Any suggestions
    SDR 85' 5spd MK2 [I/H/E] Suspension by OgE. Two years of failure ZSS team "Eat shit and Die!!!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

This may sound dumb but is the accelerator cable adjusted properly? I always try the simple stuff first
    Alex

85 5sp Super White Digi,Sunroof.
    If I can pass you on the right You're in the wrong lane

Sounds like the TPS to me. Either the replacement engine has the wrong one or a bad one. Does he still have the OE one? If so, switch it back. If it has the wrong type on it, you may have to switch the whole TB back over. Even if it is the correct type,... It may still be bad. Test it per the TSRM.
    Ihth,
    Jamie

Banned
    The auto tranny may be getting tired (torque converter). How many miles on it etc.? More info about the car helps us narrow down to an answer. My first guess would be what the members above stated. After the basics, it gets into the wiring, and the mechanical. I have a black 85 auto as well and am interested if you ever figure out the problem.

when you do that is it still running correctly, i had a car that when you pressed the throttle it would go no where and almost die, ended up being the fuel pump only putting out about half the pressure it needed.
    Gera
    1985 P-type 5M-GE
    1998 Lexus GS400

CelicaSupra.com Member KesekiSupra's Avatar
    does it slip? only go into one gear? be more specific
    1985 MA6x
    (8-14-07 1:48pm) R.I.P. have fun in supra heaven

2001 Lexus IS300 - bilstein struts/shocks, eibach springs, 18inch volks, hks titanium limited edition exhaust, L-tuned sway bars
    2002 Ducati M750 - Swiss Cheese Airbox

CelicaSupra.com Member
    TPS Ė Might be, the only reason I think isnít, is that when I rev the car in P it feels nice and powerful and revs through out the rpm range. But I will change TPS next time I see car.

As for the accelerator cable itís adjusted properly.

Gas pump Ė I thought about it but I think its fine because car revs fine smooth and powerful in P. the problem is on D. If it where my car id buy it but it aint mine donít want to tell the guy to buy one and then it aint the prob. $110 down the hole.

Tranny Ė The guy said that when the got the car the first time it was running fine car felt fine and strong tranny felt fine not slipping. The only problem was would not start cold so he took it back, after he got it back was when the car had these problem.
    About how the tranny feels. To me it feels fine it doesnít slip. If I press the gas gradually it moves normal and shifts normal to the next gear after that it feel like it loses power and barley climes even if I put my foot down all the way theres no go it doesnít get that pull that auto get like it down shits gear. Now if the car is at a stop and I put my foot down on the gas it moves but accelerates like if I would be accelerating normal. The rpms donít clime no power so the tranny aint slippin and when it shift it shift fine. That basically what the car does. I know that not a lot of info but its kind of hard to explain.
    SDR 85' 5spd MK2 [I/H/E] Suspension by OgE. Two years of failure ZSS team "Eat shit and Die!!!"

The cataytic converter could be plugged up with junk. In Drive, you're pumping more gas thru the engine/exhaust than in Park for the same revs. Or maybe the O2 sensor is shot?

CelicaSupra.com Member Supra_GT_R's Avatar
    is the timing set correctly? i have the 5 speed, but my timing is off due to bad keyway (being fixed) and cant go faster then 50mph.

i also can rev it up t0 5000+, and it has seems to have alot of power when out fo gear, but when in gear, max rpm i can get is 2100.

id say you vac advance on the dist might be damgaged or not working, but if yours is an 85, your advace is comp controlled.

just a thought
    87 turbo targa bone ass stock

Quote Originally Posted by Supra_GT_R
    is the timing set correctly? i have the 5 speed, but my timing is off due to bad keyway (being fixed) and cant go faster then 50mph.

i also can rev it up t0 5000+, and it has seems to have alot of power when out fo gear, but when in gear, max rpm i can get is 2100.

id say you vac advance on the dist might be damgaged or not working, but if yours is an 85, your advace is comp controlled.

just a thought

yea well he swapped out the dist already from another 85, changed the AFM, changed the TPS, changed the wireharness (previous mechanic mickymoused the shit out of it), changed wires, fixed a few vaccum leaks

but it still lags that top end power
    85 Jet Black 5spd
    85 Jet Black 5spd

Thread Information