Even when you rebuild the diff she still whines

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Even when you rebuild the diff she still whines

Three years ago now my old diff was starting to break down, so I decided to repair it in my basement with a hammer. I also managed to rebuild the lsd with the weir shims. I could go up to 80kmh before vibrations, that wasn't good enough, and from there it all went down hill....

Back to the present, I just had a different diff rebuilt by a local shop and had my rebuilt lsd put in with a weir solid spacer.

Took it for the first test drive and it whines out the engine; I am just looking for ideas if it's something else I screwed up or if I should march down to the rebuild shop and complain.

It starts off quiet and gets slowly louder as I go faster, I didn't want to go over 80kmh; it makes very little nose when accelerating but when decelerating it gets very loud. Putting it in neutral doesn't change anything.

What do I need to fix, how can I drive my car after these two long years? Do I need better speakers?

My game plan is to put it up on a hoist and take a listen/look with the wheels spinning above my head; if no bight ideas hit me I am gonna take it back to the shop with a fistful of cash.

THanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member MrBubbles00482's Avatar
    I've talked to two or three shops in my local town they have stated there will be whine with a solid pinion spacer. Either on accell or decel, wherever. It's gonna whine.

Anyone else care to chime in? I'll be doing the weir solid spacer shortly with a weir kit.
    1985 P-type "Elvira" Blue inside out.
    2jzge/w58 swapped

MECP advanced autotech

WHOA! There should be no noise after a rebuild.
    "Oh,it has to 'break in',that's all" I say NO.

How many excuses can they make?

It ain't easy to set a diff up correctly: PITA.
    Read your description of repairs.
    The solid spacer requires the builder to be VERY precision-minded to set the pinion pre load!
    Too tight/too loose=trouble. Usually too tight and they back it off.

I have seen the SAME thing a few members have posted.
    I hope that there is a magnetic drain plug in there.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member supra123's Avatar
    not sure about the rebuild details, thus from all my experience if the diff has a whine the gears will have this wear pattern, it will never go away unless you use new gear set.
    thus whether gears were set to deep or too shallow which created the whine, once created it wont go away sorry.

Should I be thinking about getting another gear set then? I have a third diff that's pretty rough but I could try to source something better. Do you guys know what else I can take gears from? I think I heard 4runners swap over or something...

Or should I be thinking that it might be fixed by adjusting it? Put a crush sleeve in? I drove it less then 2km.

Will it explode? How long could I drive it like this?

THanks

Also I just have to make a PSA:

If you are installing bearings buy a bearing press or get a local mechanic to do it for you...surprisingly hammers don't work that well for bearings but are great for your head after...

CelicaSupra.com Member supra123's Avatar
    Diffs can run with a whine for a long time, if created by a slight offset done wrong (thus shallow or Deep).
    if you try to run used gears you are guaranteed a whine unless you can perfectly match the wear pattern, which is next to impossible.
    buy a new set from Summit racing.
    it will not explode, unless set up was very bad.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    If you find someone who can rebuild one that is quiet please let me know. I paid $1K to have someone on this thread who is supposed to be an expert to rebuild a diff for me. He said the gears looked really good and installed a new True Trac. It whined the day I bought it and got worse the more I drove it. There are probably only a handful of diffs out there with less than 150K miles on them which means you are buying something that is at best half worn out. The only available option is to look at a custom diff swap. I have seen a nice frame design with a Ford diff but have yet to find that he is willing to disclose his detailed drawings or build them for a group buy. It might be possible to have a stock diff rebuilt for a stock engine, but I would not suggest using a rebuilt factory diff over 300 to 350 hp to the wheels. They just won't hold up.

CelicaSupra.com Member Atl_Racer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithP View Post
    If you find someone who can rebuild one that is quiet please let me know. I paid $1K to have someone on this thread who is supposed to be an expert to rebuild a diff for me. He said the gears looked really good and installed a new True Trac. It whined the day I bought it and got worse the more I drove it. There are probably only a handful of diffs out there with less than 150K miles on them which means you are buying something that is at best half worn out. The only available option is to look at a custom diff swap. I have seen a nice frame design with a Ford diff but have yet to find that he is willing to disclose his detailed drawings or build them for a group buy. It might be possible to have a stock diff rebuilt for a stock engine, but I would not suggest using a rebuilt factory diff over 300 to 350 hp to the wheels. They just won't hold up.
    Ask Mike Rapp. i think he knows someone.
    Tommy
    86 HKS powered 6MGTE

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl_Racer View Post
    Ask Mike Rapp. i think he knows someone.
    No offense but a lot of people claim they can. The guy that did mine is known far and wide on the forums as being the expert. I told him I would be pushing 400 rwhp and he said it would hold it. I have a total of about 15K miles on it now and two mechanics have told me the diff is shot. It started whining the first day and got worse every time I drove it.

Thread Information