Even when you rebuild the diff she still whines - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Why don't you pull the pumpkin out and hand it to them?
    I would.
    Leave your car at your place.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

That's what I did at first and it would have saved me trouble if they had been able to re-install it and go "hey, this doesn't work at all".
    I drove it down there to let them hear it driving; they drained the metal-bit filled redline (-$50) to inspect it -- so it couldn't drive anyway.

And tbh, I have taken diffs out (and in) over 10 times, if I had to do it again I might have broke.

I don't really mind it sitting there, I might visit every once and a while to check in tho.

Okay, here is an update, I was rather distraught after the summer so the car has just been sitting in the garage. Here is what I remember from the nightmare...
    The car ended up sitting in their lot for a whole month because they kept ordering the wrong bearings: they went through lordco so I get it; I finally drive down just to check on it and its not in the lot, my eye brows are very raised... Turns out that morning when they were backing a truck out of the garage, to put my car in, their truck backed into my car ...I&%$#&$^%#&^^)(*

So they quickly repaired it and drove it to a body shop for a quote.

Anyway, long story shortened, they covered all the work they did and gave me money on top to get it repaired.

I managed to find a new hood locally (super lucky, thanks Cameron) and now I am going to start looking for the rest.

p.s it still vibrates on the highway
    Last edited by stebrenden; 01-03-2017 at 06:12 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

In other news, I am now the proud owner of a manual 1984 celica gts because my daily 83 rolla got a VI that it cant pass, what a car year!

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    so...why didnt you get insurance to fix your car and you not have to do all this leg work?

He got a FAT check?

What's up with the vibration,now?

Insurance wanted to scrap the car...and the money was acceptable. The diff guy thought it seemed like the drive shaft(already replaced) and that maybe the adapter piece was wonky, I will take the adapter to the drive line shop and have them spin it up and check it out; after that I am gonna look for some loose bolt...or something

There are a multitude of conditions that would cause a vibration at 100 KPH,beside a drive line issue.
    That crunch looks terrible!
    If you are OK with the insurance settlement,you are good to go.
    Leg work? Yes. Parts to replace damaged stuff and then a re paint? Yes.

If my insurance company wanted to 'total' my car,I would buy it back,just like you.
    Geico paid $1,300 to repair my crushed top and the local dudes did an EXCELLENT/PERFECT job.
    I just paid the deductible and got my car back in 10 days.
    In your case,it's up to you.
    That section behind the front bumper MAY be called a header panel. There was one in California,as I recall.
    The color match may be to your satisfaction,depending on your choice body work places.
    ME? I would replace that panel and paint it primer gray or black.

In addition,I would question their "quickly repaired" work as well,even though they did not charge you for the repair. Please check their work.

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    in canada if they total your car, and you buy it back, it cant be insured. i dont think they allow you to buy it back as a salvage title, which is insurable but needs to be reinspected. icbc should not be able to write your car off as it was not an at fault collision. if you did the leg work, and went through insurance, they should still cut you a cheque for parts found and paint and your time. like anything, you have to fight to get what you are 'owed" i wouldnt have taken anything less than 2k for that hit as finding parts is really difficult and the paint work alone adds up. let alone they really fucked up.

whines at high speed, id look to gears...have you looked at your transmission at all? you have trans fluid in there? i have a spare diff you can try out, and it does not whine, if you want to check that off your list of who knows.

i just did a diff for my cressida, and the bearings were from toyota only, which is a more common 8inch diff. none of the toyota truck 8inch stuff work, all undersized. if lordco lists the bearings, they should work. i use the lordco on burnside and use a few guys there that i trust. not your typical lordco people, these guys actually care and look for parts.

whines are typically gear releated. vibrations are another beats all together... which can be loose bolts, unbalanced wheels, tires developing a bulge, axles, driveshaft etc.

where have you been going to get work done? i know a lot of people here in various fields that i can point you towards for not dumb people

Originally it whined when I rebuilt it myself, due to the gears being worn and installed badly; there isnt a whine anymore, now its just a vibration. The vibration is too quick to be the tires (I think) and is more noticeable the higher the gear when going 100kmh and the most noticeable when I put it in neutral going 100.

I changed the trans fluid 4 years ago now to acdelco equivalent weight.

I may take you up on that offer about the diff so I can eliminate factors.

My first step is getting the adapter spun up, I thought it was a little suspicious from the start...

I always wanted to never have to take my car to a shop and this situation is a good reminder. What I have learned is that I am not patient enough(yet?) for precision work...

Thread Information