Driving Miss Swan....The Continuing Story - Page 3

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I've had them all and the one I posted works awesome. It's basically a hand vacuum bleeder on steroids. I can bleed all 4 brakes in <10 minutes. It even works great on my Corolla clutch where the line goes UP from the cylinder and its a bugger to bleed. The worst bleeder to use is the ones that apply pressure to the reservoir like the Motive one. I threw that POS away. Anytime the seal is broken at the reservoir it blows brake fluid everywhere.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I've had terrible luck with Motive style pressure bleeders too. Weird size masters they never seem to seal right or they do for a bit and then just blow fluid everywhere hehe

@Dave in Seattle - The picture gamble posted of the speed bleeder valve tells me it's basically a spring-loaded. one-way check valve. As long as the pressure or vacuum applied to it are below what it takes to overcome the spring tension and get the ball off the seat, it's closed, and the system is sealed. So, if you're pulling a vacuum at the speed bleeder, it will take a certain amount of vacuum to move the ball off the seat and start sucking fluid out. Once the vacuum falls below that amount, the spring forces the ball back on it's seat, sealing the system, and no air can get into it.

If you were using regular bleeder nipples, I can see how air could get into the system. As the vacuum falls, if you don't immediately close the bleeder nipple, air can get in once the fluid flow stops.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Spent the day rounding up all parts I've been collecting that I'll need "at hand" to work on the front end.

I now have an area where the new KYB strut inserts are, along with the new top strut mounts, the Dobinson front springs, the Raptor Racing braided brake hoses, the new rotors and pads, and the Energy Suspension sway bar end links and tension rod bushings.

I'm forgoing doing the front lower control arm bushings at this time.

And I have another box with the shocks, springs, and some misc parts in it for the rear.

And all my tools have been rounded up, and put back in their correct tool boxes.

I'll be starting on this on Saturday, only a freaking WEEK or so late......
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Still sorting out all the parts I know I have so I can start The Great Front Suspension Rebuild.

Since I have to pull the struts and remove the springs to replace the top strut mounts, I figure it's a good time to put my new Raptor Raciing lowering springs in.

Now I just have to find them.....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

The suspension will be much easier to work on when you get the lowering springs in. With OEM springs you have to be careful because everything is under tension at all times so you need a spring compressor to get work started(you can rent one, you'll see what i mean when you start getting things apart), but with the lowered ones when you get the car in the air the springs are short enough that they are no longer compressed so you can just unbolt things and do what you need to do.

I already own two spring compressors, so that's no problem.

These are the springs George says lowers the car about 3/4", so I don't know how much easier it will be to reinstall everything.

*IF* I can get the front done this week, I'd like to install my new KYB rear shocks, and possibly the matching lowering springs.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Rear is way easier than the front honestly, once you've got the fronts done and have a little workshop momentum you'll be like ehhhh why not haha. Jack under the control arm, disconnect the shock and sway bar in the rear, and then drop the jack and you shouldn't have to compress the spring that much even to get it out, and the new lower springs should go in a bit easier with no compression needed(i don't think i had to compress to install dropped springs)

You will fine. Use my tips and it will go much smoother,Jim.
    Your body will be very tired afterwards.
    I took SIX hours to do just the struts and upper mounts,solo.
    Your efforts may take a lot longer. Maybe a week end.
    Crawling on the ground is really hard to do for a long time.
    I took my Naproxin B-4 I started and I was still sore ,the next day.

Gamble is younger and stronger than both us combined.

Just think smarter and don't work harder to do a job that you will be pleased as punch,when you are finished!
    The results will give you a big grin.
    As the ride height will be changed with the lowering springs,the alignment will be WAY OFF.
    Do my string alignment trick before you even*think* about a test drive.

I used the same springs and I didn't worry about that issue.
    Your lowering will change the camber and toe a lot.
    Go around the block and get it back to your garage and set the front tires on newspaper for some slip. Then, do the string thing. You will see. Stock specs for toe in is fine,but the camber will be WAY negative. You will see,Jim. Just set the toe in.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Dave, out of all the years I've been working on cars and heard of the string alignment, I never had anybody explain it properly to me.

What do I measure with the piece of string?

What points to I measure to/from?

Is this only a way to "ballpark" the toe. or can it be used for other measurements?

Can you detail the way to do it?

The place I'm taking it to for the alignment is a first-class body/frame/restoration place. They turn out stunning work, and when I was there getting my Jeep done, I saw some of their work-in-progress and I was blown away by their attention to detail.

I'm stopping by the America's Tire place tomorrow on my way home from the Iowa. I'll be ordering my Toyo Proxes tires. I'm getting 245/45ZR16 to go on my 16x8 0 offset XXR rims. I'll naturally get the shop alignment done with the new wheels and tires.
    Last edited by drjim; 08-10-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Thread Information