SupraMoto's '83 Resto - Page 29

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraMoto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post
    if just replacing shocks, its still in the 500ish range even for those kyb oe spec. even via rock auto. iunno, i just cant personally drop that amount of money on something that really isnt doing anything other than bringing it back to sort of OE...and that in itself is a huge floppy fish. if you need anything fabbed, like with the ground control setup or doing a shortened strut with more of a short stroke shock, BC Works is local to us and a good friend of mine who makes my parts. as a heads up for other options.

Maybe you're right. I need to make a good decision on this.... I don't want to have to spend my money twice.

I don't want floppy OE style suspension (even though that'd be an upgrade from where it is now), I'd like something better so I can enjoy my ride on the track and feel secure and maybe one day even be competitive.

My last comment was partially based on my own uncertainty & lack of information/knowledge on suspension upgrades, which is all kind of overwhelming.
    Besides an OE style replacement, I hadn't really understood the alternatives.... but I'm just starting to read and learn about them.

It's clear that a coilover upgrade isn't a bolt-on affair, from what I've gathered it requires cutting/welding on the strut tube, installing coilover sleeves, and spacers between the damper and strut tube etc.
    .....and all sorts of geometry calculations about ride height, stroke of the damper, coil spring length, RCA thickness etc..... holy moly !

And since nothings manufactured for the mkII; looks like AE86 Corolla parts are whats commonly used.

Like Jim says, I don't think that OE style parts from Rockauto would cost $500. But on the other hand, at this point I have absolutely no clue how much the parts for a coilover conversion would cost.

I hadn't heard of Ground Control suspension parts before you mentioned them. Is this whats commonly used in a cost effective solution ?
    I see that they sell entire coilover conversion kits. I should be looking at the AE86 (84-87) kits ?

So basically I have tons homework to do before I can decide.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    A PAIR of KYB strut inserts is $82.50 at Raptor. He should also replace his front top strut mounts with KYB, and they cost $80.00 for a pair.

And if you include another $80 for a pair of Gas-A-Just rear shocks, he's barely half way to the "$500ish" you state.

I say DO IT. New strut inserts, new strut mounts, and new rear shocks, and you'll think you're driving a different car.

That's pretty inexpensive, and it would definitely improve the ride quality.
    Sometimes I wonder how much $ I should be really pumping into this car, and that leads me towards this inexpensive option.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have this car as a classic collector, stockish, restored....... And then eventually build a 2J MKIII as a performance car since that's a better base for performance (albeit straight line performance).
    This is a philosophic sort of question... and its best to decide before you start down the path of upgrades and spending....................................... because then its too late.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Get to know the Raptor Racing site. George has everything you'll need to rebuild the stock suspension while you learn more and save up your money for if and when you decide to go the coil over route.

For now, in the beginning of your journey, rebuilding the stock suspension will teach you a lot, and you'll get to know the car.

One thing that I found when I rebuilt mine was some of the parts nobody talks much about where completely shot. My front sway bar to frame cushions were so loose that I could grab the bar at rattle it around! Everybody talks about the sway bar endlinks, but the bar to frame cushions are just as important.

My lower control arm bushings looked OK, but since I had new Energy Suspension ones, I replaced them.

One thing you'll find on the rear is that the lower spring cushions will be shot, and should be replaced when you do the rear. The upper ones are protected from the weather, but the lower ones pick up tons of grit and road dirt, and it just grinds them away. Mine fell apart when I took them out.

Good luck on what ever you decide, and we'll be here to give you support in any way we can. This forum is THE place to come for MKII information and parts.

- JIm
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    you're welcome to check my car out and see what the other side does to the car. i guarantee you will not like how my car drives lol.
    ground control, from what old information i rememeber were just sleeves at one time and they had set screws or something.

one option is to take stock struts and shorten them and replace with a short stroke shock, while also upgrading the springs.
    option 2, coilovers, which require a threaded tube (i got mine from stance) and you cut your stock strut off and then mock up the threaded tube and weld that on.
    option 3, i believe bc racing sells a complete unit where they do all the welding and you literally bolt it all in.
    option 4, get some lowering springs and these inserts and see how they feel.

my car has s13 coilovers and i modded the entire rear end, as well now has solid aluminum bushings, factory sways with energy suspension front links and new rubber in the back. very...firm

You guys wont believe it but I replaced the trans fluid with Red Line MT90 and it fixed the grinding !

The brass synchronous didn't like the Lucas 75W90 GL5 synthetic I had in there I guess. The Red Line oil is GL4.
    I only ran the other oil for 500 miles, but it was hard on the synchros cuz there were some sparklies in the oil when I drained it

With that fixed I was able to go to an amateur autoX event tonight, first time I've done that. My suspension is shot and I was pretty slow, but still fun.

'83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Having fun is what it's all about!
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Awesome, the car looks great

Quote Originally Posted by xXPachuco310Xx View Post
    Awesome, the car looks great
    Thanks.

I changed the power steering fluid.

And I bought this 2.5" full exhaust on craigslist from a non-forum member. It came off an '86.
    I'm glad to get the down-pipe with it because mine had the flange cut off the end by the STUPID muffler shop.
    My exhaust is 1.75" right now.
    Last edited by SupraMoto; 05-14-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    We have a grippy feet event on this Monday from 5-9 if you're interested. Send me a PM and I can give you the details

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    There's some decent reasonably priced performance cats out there if you want to replace that straight pipe.

About suspension. I guess it depends on your aspirations. If track days and autoxes are going to be a mainstay in your future, I would just step up to a set of coil overs right now. I did the gradual route. Started with ST springs and Monroe sensatracs, then Addcos, then coil overs, short steerings arms, Whitelines, camber plates, bushings, etc etc.... Then I did most of it all over again to get that last bit of competitive edge our of my car, I like my autox. On version 4.0 of my suspension setup currently lol. Anyways, I learned tons and have immensely enjoyed the whole process, but it certainly wasn't economical doing it this way nor did it fast forward me to the front of the pack. I've applied my experience to friends cars and helped them build suspensions that have been very competitive.

There are various ways to do coil overs that are just as good as the premade units on the cheap btw, like $500 total. Swaybars and camber plates will be on top of that. You're looking at George's wares I see, good. Some of his stuff is dissappearing quick though and may be unavailable soon. Be sure to check out www.technotoytuning.com too if you haven't yet, they make many awesome bits for our cars. George carries T3 stuff too. If he has any in stock, definitely get it from him cause the exchange is brutal right now.

Feel free to ask away if you have more susp questions.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information