SupraMoto's '83 Resto - Page 3

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraMoto's Avatar

rrrrrrrrrrrrust

My car looks great in the first picture from 15 feet, but there are some rough spots close up...... here they are

I've been working on repairing rust damage from battery acid leakage; its under the battery tray and along the lower radiator support. I'm starting with the lower rad support, then I'll eventually to the battery tray area.

Big rust hole

Using a spot weld cutter to remove the spot welds and remove the damaged metal

The metal behind was in surprisingly good condition, it was just the face which was rusted through.

Removed these brackets which support the area and to which the lower radiator support brackets bolt to.

New sheet metal for the face piece (old brackets mocked up).

Here's how these pieces sit in relation to each other in the car.

Going to go to the sandblasting place today and clean up some bits.
    Last edited by SupraMoto; 08-08-2016 at 01:02 AM.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

blasted

Wen't and sandblasted these parts today at a local shop that charges $1.10 per minute to blast em' yourself. These took 49 minutes to blast.
    Primer paint is drying as I speak.

'83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

I've never heard of a place that lets you blast yourself by the minute, that sounds awesome. Those all came out great, well done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

bodywork progress

In the last few days I've been working on the sheet metal under the rad.
    I sand blasted some rust away from around where the AC lines go thru the front wall (left of pic) since I couldn't get a wire wheel in there, it made a huge mess but I contained it as best I could with drop sheets. It was worth it overall with the mess considering how good a job it did in tight spaces.

After I painted the inside of the cross member, this area will soon be closed up with sheet metal.
    The bare metal spots are where the plug welds will go.

The new sheet metal is almost ready to be plug welded in, here's a mock up of the piece.
    You can see some of the sand blasted area still in the upper-left side of the pic.
    Last edited by SupraMoto; 10-25-2016 at 01:40 AM.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

You have some serious fabrication skills!

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    You have some serious fabrication skills!

- Jim
    Thanks, this is the first time I've worked with sheet metal, lol. Thankfully it doesn't have to be perfect since its behind the radiator where it wont be seen.

My motor will be ready from the machinists Friday, buuuuuuuuuut I'm thinking about continuing with the rust repair under the battery tray before I assemble and install the motor. This area will be so much more accessible without the motor installed.

The battery tray area will be more difficult to repair, I'll have to cut out the tray to repair underneath.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Moto, have a read over this post, at least the bit on fixing the front end rust...

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...65#post1002065

You don't need donor metal by the looks of it, but you may need to open up more panels then you realize. See the pics of the red car in that post, yours looks pretty similar to that car's rust level. I've had to do that repair to 4 different cars now.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

more work...

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Moto, have a read over this post, at least the bit on fixing the front end rust...

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...65#post1002065

You don't need donor metal by the looks of it, but you may need to open up more panels then you realize. See the pics of the red car in that post, yours looks pretty similar to that car's rust level. I've had to do that repair to 4 different cars now.
    Hi SupraFiend, I've actually read some of your threads recently while looking for advice and structure of the front end, but haven't seen this particular tread, thanks for the link this is totally amazing work and good reference material for me. I wish I could take the time and have the ability to do the job like that and have everything perfect in the end.

The worst of the damage is under my battery tray, that's why I saved this part for last. Its probably worse than you'd thought since my previous pics hadn't shown it well.

My plan is to cut the battery tray (bracket, shelf) out, and replace a large rectangular piece of "flooring" underneath, then weld the battery "shelf" back in... The underside of this area is actually accessible from inside the wheel housing, so that will really help with battery "shelf" spot weld cutting, welding, sealing and painting)

Luckily most of the spot welds on the base of the battery "shelf" holding it down are practically rusted off the flooring so it will be easier to remove. I will have to regenerate parts of the battery "shelf" base with new sheet metal to make it strong again. Only one side of the base of the battery "shelf" is strong still, the side towards the driver.

It really sucks though because I'd rather be getting the motor built and the car driving, and body work is the pits.
    Last edited by SupraMoto; 08-10-2016 at 12:37 AM.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

YOW!

Mine's a "bit" rusty, but nothing like that.

I cleaned it as well as I could, and then used Eastwood rust encapsulator on it, and then painted it with some Rust-O-Leum white I had that was a surprisongly good match.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Yeah with rust that bad it will be into your frame rail. Its really had to fix stuff like that right without stripping down the front end of the car. The way I do it, it will never come back. You have to expose it all for that...

I did Deanfun's 85 PType like this too, and that one had a motor in it, but we removed the fenders, AC and front end to be able to do this.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in that thread. It could use a few bumps lol. Sounds like barely anyone has seen that post.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information