Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

It pays to look around!!! Literally!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  7beast 
#1 · (Edited)
So after a few weeks of looking for a used pair of 14 inch tires, i finally found a killer deal! I bought 4 almost brand new 235/60 R14 mastercraft avenger gt RWL tires for 75 bux! Still has the titties on the tread, and there is no dry rott. I have put this car back on the road with very little money, simply by looking around for deals. I cleaned them up, then restored the wheels and mounted the tires by hand... Taking it to get balanced today maybe.

See less See more
#4 ·
You can go to the Mastercraft website and read how to decode the sidewall info.

This will tell you when they were made.

They might not be the "best" tire in the world, but if they have decent tread left, and the sidewalls are in good condition, with no cracks, then you scored OK.

Nothing wrong with being frugal, and you're keeping a MKII on the road.

- Jim

#5 ·
I have some good news for you on those tires.

The tread life on them is decent, and the grip they provide for slides and braking is darn good in the rain, as for dry weather performance they are middle of the road for passenger car tires.

I have the same on my car, and its roughly 400 bucks installed at the local Les Schwab here in Tacoma. So far they have been holding up well and after 2.5 years of use don't show any odd wear, or cracking.

At the end of the day that's very good value for money, and I think you will be happy.

#6 ·
Thanks. I think I will like them too, might buy another set of these new to keep on hand when i get more money if there is any hook to them on a dry road. I hope it hooks, cause before they would not stick at all in 1st gear at 8psi.
And drjim, I checked the date code, they were made in 2012, no dry rott, and almost brand new tread... I bought them off an old guy that got them from someone else... IDK maybe someone left the tire shop and had a wreck a mile down the road and totalled the car... The tread is good enough for that to no be so far fetched.

#7 ·
date code 2012, you did ok, then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.