Carbon fiber hatch setup

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member supraholic's Avatar

Cool Carbon fiber hatch setup

Hi All,

It's been a while since I last posted any project updates on my car. I picked up one of the carbon fiber hatches from George's group buy but didn't even open the box until last weekend...Anyway, I'm working now to get it ready to install on my car. My plan is to install the '82-'84' sunshade spoiler on my '85 carbon hatch--I always preferred this spoiler over the ones on the '85-'86 models. My factory hatch is in mint condition so i'll keep it and the original spoiler setup...but the new hatch with sunshade spoiler will give my car a different look.

Last year I picked up a sunshade spoiler from an '84...it was severely pitted and in need of some body work. So, step-1 is to fix the spoiler:

I started sanding the spoiler before applying body filler:

close up of what I was up against:

First coat of body filler. I used Evercoat Quantum1 which is nice for jobs like this as it's a great filler yet thin like finishing putty--very easy to butter on:

All the body work done, 2 coats of Souther Polyurethane's 2K primer (I love all their products--so easy to work with), sanded and ready for a couple coats of jet black paint:

Here's a pic just after I shot the first coat of clear coat. (Used Southern Polyurethane's Universal Clear product--again excellent stuff):

More pics to follow of the finished sunshade spoiler after another coat of clear, cut and buff...

But I need some help: the carbon hatch has zero indications on where I need to drill the holes to mount this spoiler. Can someone send me sunshade mounting hole measurements from an '82-84' hatch? Doesn't have to be exact but as close as possible would be good...I'm thinking just the measurement location of the upper hole is all I need. I can use the mounting backing plate as a 'template' to locate the lower hole on each side.Thanks in advance.

More to come on this project...stay tuned.

-Dan
    Last edited by supraholic; 09-22-2016 at 12:09 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Xeno_omega's Avatar
    Sorry for the shitty pics but hope these help.

Chris G
    84 Super Red p-type 1jz transplant underway
    85 Black 7mge p-type
    94 Renaissance Red 6-speed TT

CelicaSupra.com Member
    That spoiler came out nice.
    Well done sir!
    --
    tstefan
    Hidden Content

Oh hell yes, looking forward to this. I've been running my cf hatch wingless and love it, but am curious how it will look with the early sunshade spoiler. Make sure you run the glass with the hole for the support rod though, it will take some pressure off the cf hatch. The hole in the glass should give you a decent indicator of placement as well.

I'm at work away from my car at the moment, but i would bet that the holes for the OEM mounts could be seen from the bottom. Well maybe, depends on if the hatch they used to make the mold had those holes. I know on my hood/hatch you can see small bumps/imperfections where factory holes are supposed to be.

Carbon fiber hatch setup

Thanks Xeno--this is exactly what I need!

I looked for slight impressions on the back of the CF hatch but could not see any evidence where the factory holes would have been. It could be they used an 85+ hatch to build the mould.

I plan on transferring my 85 hatch glass so it won't have the hole in it for the center support on the spoiler. The CF hatch seems very stout so I can't imaging the weight of the spoiler causing too much stress on the CF hatch. But I'll see once I get it all mocked up...

-Dan
    Last edited by supraholic; 09-22-2016 at 09:23 PM.

I'm not 100% sure, but I beleive the side studs holes of an 85 are on the same location as on the 84 hatches. Someone with access to both may chime in to confirm.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily runner, RIP...)
    2002 E39 ///M5 LMB, Hidden Content Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    Nice job on the wing

Quote Originally Posted by supraholic View Post
    I plan on transferring my 85 hatch glass so it won't have the hole in it for the center support on the spoiler. The CF hatch seems very stout so I can't imaging the weight of the spoiler causing too much stress on the CF hatch. But I'll see once I get it all mocked up...
    It's not the weight of the wing that concerns me, it's the wind resistance. They prob used a polyester composite on the hatch, so may be prone to spider cracks and fraying at the pressure points. I would internally reinforce that section of the carbon fiber before mounting. Epoxy will stick to polyester, but not the other way around GLWT
    Hidden Content
    Terracotta Warrior

I could always cut off the threaded post on the center mount and use 3M double sided external foam tape to adhere the post to the glass. This might work and provide some structural insurance.

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    'Might' is the operational word. I wouldn't risk my beautiful wing or hatch (unless you don't plan to drive fast). There's a reason for the hole in the glass...the foam 'might' provide cushion on the glass for downforce but I would at least use some kind of epoxy or superglue for good measure.
    Hidden Content
    Terracotta Warrior

The early spoilers have been known to buffet at speeds without the center strut, even cases of it breaking off... I don't have any links off hand though or course

Thread Information