V8 Swap questions.. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    I was basically a GM over Frod (I meant that) guy too. But there are definitely valid reasons for either. If you do end up going with an earlier iron GM small block, there was indeed one vehicle that you could get a front sump oil pan for and it's 62 - 67 Nova's. Back in the early 70's, I dropped a 327 into a 62 Nova. That oil pan and pickup wasn't available at the time and I ended ip totally destroying the original making it work. Besides looking like Frankenstein welded that monstrosity together, imagine just a little beyond that and you'll see the 1 1/2" piece of pipe I welded into that mess for the steering linkage to go through. Not my finest hour. That was the second burnout when the diff exploded. The car had originally come with a whopping 153 cubic inch 4 banger. After lifting the engine the first time to change a couple of plugs, I decided to cut holes in the inner fender. Also not elegant. It would pull the front wheels off the ground. The passenger side maybe 6". The drivers side, perhaps three times that! Scary and then some! It was the only hot rod I ever owned that required two hands on the steering wheel at all times and had to go before I killed myself.
    Personally, I'd forgo the early iron stuff and go LS. Even better would be a stroked, long rod 347 Frod small block. Ever wonder why Sunbeam Tigers and Cobra's had Frod small blocks instead of Chevy's? It's because Chevy's are shorter and wider while Frod's are longer and narrower. It made enough difference that the shock towers didn't have to be modified to shoehorn the Frod in, but definitely would have to be for the Chevy. I can't help but think a Frod would be at least a little easier of the two for you. And I'd also swap in some matching electronics and stick with fuel injection, even though I'm one of the weird old guys that was so much of a carburetor expert that I was known in the pits as the guy with the fishing tackle box full of Holley parts....
    The early GM aluminum V8 definitely would be another interesting but not cheap option. There's still stuff available for it for various swaps as there's still a plentiful supply of them from decades of Range Rovers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Cool G.M. vs. FEORD V-8' SWAPS into a MK II.

There is a lot of swaps that present their own issues.

The front sump is a consideration.
    The narrower engine would be a less problematic that a FAT-ASS V-8.
    An in line SIX came out,why not another in line 6?
    That's were the Lexus engines come into play.
    The LS series engines are a good choice?

Yes.

The ..damshaft(1) is inside the block.No massive upper end valve train. No 4 camshafts above the heads. Coyote engine?Crazy.

Yeah,the LS has has rocker arms and push rods.
    Even a cast iron block is great.
    Aluminum block? Aluminum heads?Better.

There have been engine swaps with Toyota V-8's.

Mike was thinking of a V-12.
    It would sound awesome.

Always think out side of the box.

The Granatelli boys put a Ferrari in a Jeep!
    The front of the 'car" was lengthened 12" to do so.
    It's in the Reno car museum.

Always.... think of ways to do the impossible.
    The members in this very forum can do the things that will open your eyes.
    Keep tuned.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    That was Tina Turner's Jerrari and it must have been a hoot to drive. If I remember correctly, it was parked next to Carroll O'Connor's Maserati that his friend Bill Harrah let him park there after he'd gotten a couple of speeding tickets for over 150 MPH! Who'd have thunk Archie Bunker was a crazy hot rodder? Probably Bill Cosby that had the only other twin supercharged 427 Cobra Supersnake that Carroll Shelby ever made. I'll never forget his 200 MPH routine which was about that car. He said it was so fast that he could leave for work 10 minutes late and get there on time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I did an LS1 swap into a Porsche 944 about 15-years ago. Used a kit from Renegade Hybrids that included all the necessary trans adapters, engine mounts and brackets. Got the engine practically for free. Used Megasquirt to run it; build my own harness from scratch. In the end, the total was about $6k as well.

Getting power in a Supra is damn easy. You have to examine the HP-gained to cost ratios. Best value with highest HP to cost & labour is a 7M-GTE. Good for 400whp at less than $1.5-2k. No outrageous amounts of custom fabrication & welding needed.

Just a update. I have the 302 motor and i will soon be getting a junk transmission to get motor mounts and driveshaft measurements done until i am able to get the transmission of my choice when i have the extra cash. i will be running a simple msd ignition and many aftermarket choices have yet to be made. drive shaft 400$, motor mounts 100$ msd 300$ tranny 600$ i am using the stock radiator and many other things. i have picked up 2x magnaflow mufflers which retail 700$ from americanmuscle.com (i traded a tv i got for free for them) i also have a bunch of free stuff due to a local budy (gauges, ect...) i have not figured out how i am going to route the clutch however...i will have the car running a 5.0 with less than 2,500 invested but you can bet i wont stop until im breaking the 10-15k range... fuel will be hot rod style with a fuel cell and gastank delete. much more to come so stay tuned!!!!

I followed this thread for months:http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...ht=5.0+L.+Ford

I'm not sure if the clutch slave cylinder issue (completely) was solved.There were a few tries at that.
    The headers' clearance issues proved to be a challenge.
    You may start a build thread when you get enough parts together.

No one likes automatic transmissions anymore? I just got tired of rowing through the gears in traffic and my left leg was like an iron pipe,after years of doing that clutch pumping thing.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information