7mgte swap...almost to the finish line!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member

7mgte swap...almost to the finish line!

Hey felllas,

I've been working on my 7mgte swap build for several months now and made really good progress thanks to this forum. I am nearly finished and just need some help with making a few wiring connections to get her started. I've done a fair amount of research on the wiring conversion. The main question I have is how to connect the 7m engine wire to the fuse box (junction 3) in the engine bay to power everything? I believe the C1 connector on the 7m was the connection on the 89 car. Are you guys taking mk2 body connectors and making a jumper harness that will connect to the c1 or doing something else? The plugs on junction 3 go straight to relays and fuses obviously. I've done some research on a few ways that folks on here have done it. Now, I had someone do the engine harness conversion for me. And below you'll see details on that.

Background
    83 celica supra ptype
    7MGTE from an 89 turbo car
    All Stock, motor completely rebuilt

Wiring
    The ECU wiring and dash side engine wiring is complete. I think.
    Fuel Pump - unknown???
    Alternator - complete
    C1 connector - not complete

Here is what I believe is the C1 connector. Please correct me if I'm wrong. You can see it's next to the igniter and EFI resitor plugs.

Here is a pic of the connections in the glove box. You can see the mk2 dash connector and old ecu connector wired up. HOWEVER, I had someone do this for me. And the B1 Connector is gone. I'm not sure what exactly the person did. I've got a note out to the guy to find out the deal. Now you all know the B1 connector is attached to the 7m engine harness and connects to the mk3 body harness. The problem is the write ups I've researched say to move wires from B1 to other places to get this thing started.

You can see the 5m engine harness connector and 5m ecu plug wired in here

From what researched you can connect up c1 in two ways.

First is moving stuff around according to this post. Scroll about 3/4 the way down and Leon explains moving wires from C1 to B1 i think. But again I don't have a B1 connector anymore. I suppose I could try to trace the wire colors he calls out and see where they go.

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...ng-guide/page2

The second way is through this really awesome step by step site from Andy in New Zealand I think. He says to connect C1 to a few plugs on the fuse box in the engine bay. Again I'm not sure how to do this or if this is will work given my setup.

http://web.archive.org/web/200810140...les/wiring.htm

Also, anyone know what this plug does? Looks like it's a 2pin connector coming off the engine harness near the firewall.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Can anyone help me out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

EWD will answer your question. I don't have one for that year. You should get an EWD for each year you are using.
    Black '86 6MGE 5spd W58
    Terra Cotta '83 W58
    Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
    EWD will answer your question. I don't have one for that year. You should get an EWD for each year you are using.
    Thanks for your response. I do have the EWDs for both the 83 and 89 cars. I am just stuck on how to cleanly splice into the 83's body connectors to wire everything up. I do not want to hack up my car. I am able to follow some of the steps from the guides posted on here. I get it conceptually. Unfortunately i do not have any spare parts or cars sitting around to steal plugs from. I've got a message out to Jim King on here to see if he has any advice and/or 83 body connectors. Here's where I'm at. If anyone has advice i would greatly appreciate it.

Overall state of the car:

Car cranks, fuel is getting to the rail. I had a boat load of fuel leaks and got those all fixed. However, I don't think it's getting spark.

Wiring issues:

1. Power to coils, ecu and main relay. I'm a little stuck on this part. I've located the C1 connector on the 7m harness. I believe the 5 wires from the C1 plug need to be connected to various plugs in the fuse box in the engine bay. My main issue is I don't know how to cleanly connect these together without creating a hack job on the car's wiring. I think this is where spare 83 connectors may help bridge the two together. I am looking at this diagram. The way I think the diagram reads is from left to right. The pin numbers from C1 are listed on far left column. Then middle column is the 83 connector label. The far right column is pin number from the corresponding 83 connector.

2 safely trigger the fuel pump. I am running a walbro 255 external pump, same location and wiring as the stock one. I've verified it works by jumping the fuel pump test connector next to the 83 AFM plug. Honestly i'm not sure if the fuel pump kicks on when it's supposed to because of issue 1. It very well may and just don't know it yet.

Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1990
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '85 black Mark2 2jzge 5sp 2015
    '86 SDR Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cheappower82 Hidden Content
    Guess you have the magic touch; touch mine please?!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey482 View Post
    Can anyone help me out?
    Which way did you come in?

My computer took a shit awhile back and I lost all my swap stuff. But these pics were in my Photobucket account. Taken by another member who I bought a used Junkie swap harness from. He took the pics as he was unswapping the 7mgte and going to swap in a 2jz instead.
    Dave Harrison

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Thanks for the pics. This helps. I wired everything up temporarily. Confirmed I have power to coils, ignitor and fuel injector resistor. Motor still won't start. I am getting fuel as I jumped the Fuel pump test connector and can hear the pump running. But still not getting spark. I reset timing per TSRM by setting cps with crank pulley at top dead center. Cam gears line up to the marks on timing cover too. So not sure what is going on. I am going to double check all my ground points and also make sure my coil wires are hooked up per the correct firing order. I should still get spark even if they are in the wrong sequence. Any other suggestions?

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Hey all just a quick update. The car finally started! Turns out I didn't have the engine harness grounded. So I bolted that up to the intake manifold and fires right up. However the motor won't stay running for very long. I can keep it running for a little while by pressing on acc pedal. But the motor doesnt rev up like it should. Checkd for vacuum leaks and found one on upper intercooler pipe. Then checked isc sensor, tps and made sure resistances were in spec. All checked out okay. But still car won't idle or rev up. Which makes me think there is still a vacuum leak or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey482 View Post
    Turns out I didn't have the engine harness grounded.
    BTDT!!! I was going to suggest checking but I ...

Check again for boost leaks.
    Dave Harrison

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED View Post
    BTDT!!! I was going to suggest checking but I ...
    Live and Learn!

I think I know what the problem is. On the turbo, there is a hose that should be connected from the actuator to the turbo housing, cold side. I believe this controls boost. Well I don't have a hose connected right now. So I will try connecting that up and see if that fixes the revving and idling issues. Also, when the car did run for a short time, the turbo got super hot and there was smoke coming from the exhaust manifold and turbo. Power steering fluid sprayed all over the place because I forgot to connect the lines to the reservoir, DOH!, so the smoke could be burn off from that. But wondering if the turbo was overheating because that actuator hose was not connected. We shall see.

Thread Information