7mgte swap...almost to the finish line! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    Okay I connected up a hose on the actuator of the turbo. Here's a picture. The engine fired right up, seemed to have throttle response for a short bit, starting idling then after about 10-20 seconds, it slows down, no throttle response then dies. The issue seems to be slightly better. I wonder if my timing is off? Any other suggestions?

You can see the blue vacuum hose. I'm not sure if this is beefy enough as the stock one is much thicker with clamps. I can get it from toyota for like 10 bucks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Well it is definitely not going to rev without the AFM connected...

--billyM
    White 85P - Blue/Silver 85P
    -------------------------------
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Of course not! I took off the accordion hose for this picture. The symptoms occur with everything connected including the AFM, accordion hose, all PCV hoses and vacuum lines.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I also verified the issue is not the throttle cable - it opens and closes the throttle valve just fine. I even tried opening the throttle valve directly on the throttle body, after getting the car to run for a bit, and still the issues occur.

Verify timing.
    White 85P - Blue/Silver 85P
    -------------------------------
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Timed the motor per TSRM. Set engine to top dead center. Aligned the mark on the crank pulley with timing cover at 0, cam marks aligned, looked inside the oil filler oil and could see the intake lobe pointing up, and then put a screw driver down cylinder 1 and verified it's at the highest point. Then I aligned the CPS, which is a kind of pain by the way, and then tried again. Car started, ran, after 20 seconds, no throttle response, died. Same crap again. I was able to rev it up to maybe 3K rpm. Checked codes and threw a code 26 which is an air fuel rich malfunction. Things are starting to make a little sense now. I checked my spark plugs and the electrodes were black. They are brand new and the motor running rich would explain that. Then I noticed one of the wires on the O2 sensor is broken. So I will fix that and see if that does the trick.

Also, I checked all the ECU terminals and made sure voltage was present at the right values. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=FI&P=50. There's a neat trick I didn't know about from going through the TSRM here. The ECU plugs have little tabs that you can unlock and fold down, plug it back into ECU and then your test probe and touch the terminals for testing. Pretty cool - had no idea the plugs did that. Everything seemed to check out fine.

Call me a pessimist but i always like to check compression when i've been banging my head against the wall for awhile. It makes me feel better knowing the motor is in spec at least and that it is just some sort of gremlin.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Good call Gamble. I will do that too. I don't have a compression gauge but I do have a leak down tester I bought from Harbor Freight Tools. That should tell me if there is any leakage.

I can bring you a compression tester. You free this week?
    Preston -85P black (daily), 85P silver, 86.5 MKIII black, 86 MX73 silver

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I can bring you a compression tester. You free this week?
    Yeah man I'm off work today and tomorrow. And then pretty free this weekend. Give me a shout

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thread Information