Randomly wont run

Randomly wont run

Okay I put a 83 5mge in my 82 Supra I switched over all the electronics. I did an EGR Delete including cutting back on all the vacuum lines related to the EGR I also have an 85 upper lower intake and throttle body I switched over my 82 throttle position sensor. I have all vacuum lines running my distributor and my fuel system like they should be. I have my timing set. List of new parts AFM ignition pickup distributor cap and button plugs wires fuel filter air filter ignitor and coil. Now that you have all the details my car will run beautifully start quick runs smooth lots of power. Just runs a little on the rich side and for some reason once in awhile doesn't matter on the temperature or the time of day sometimes the car just won't start or will die on me while going down the road and will not start back up if I let it sit for a couple hours it will then start back up what else would cause a car to just randomly not run right. I'm down to a mixture of my throttle position sensor and my engine temp sensor or my engine computer. Does anyone have any info on this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

The problem with intermittent is it could be anything, but it is hard to catch unless it is currently in the failed state. You also just did a ton of work, so it could be something as simple as a wire or connector not making a decent connection. Could be a wire is routed poorly so it yanks the connector off or something. Have you checked to see if it is fuel or spark loss when it dies and won't restart? At least next time you get stuck you'll have something to do.

Is your check engine light hooked up and working? Is it throwing any codes?

I'll say that you need to use the '83 ECU.
    What Gamble said: you need to check for fuel and spark at the time of failure.
    A little rich? Maybe ALL our cars do that. Smells bad when cold.
    Keep your timing light in your car,along with the AFM jumper wire,when it stops running or will not start.
    It sounds like an electrical failure to me.
    When electronics get HOT,they fail.

The weird part is that sometimes it will not start when cold.
    You changed out the AFM also.
    What other changes have you made?

Our armchair diagnostic team is standing by.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    Had similar issues on an Mk3 I had. Was the engine temp sensor. When warm, car wouldn't start. Cold, it was fine. unplugged the sensor, and it would start hot or cold. So replaced it and never had any other issues. Could be wiring to the sensor, or connection at the senor causing an issue though. These wiring harnesses are quite old now.

Aside from that, the only other stalling issue I had, was in my first 85. if I was less than half a tank, and drove for a prolonged period of time, ti would die, and not restart. If I let it sit for 15+min, it would then fire up and run fine, but would repeat until I filled the tank. Was the fuel pump going bad. Less than half tank and long driving it would get too hot and stop working.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

Good call,William.
    If it's un plugged,the ECU thinks it's -20* and runs rich.
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ection=FI&P=72
    If the temp sensor shorts,it will go way lean.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Was it running fine before the swap? The problem you are having is also a sign of failing fuel pump. 82-83 is very easy to change a fuel pump on if that is the problem.
    -Chris

1983 Celipra GTS:
    6M bored .50 over. 250cc injectors. Delta 272 regrind cams. Carter HF fuel pump.
    Pacesetter header w/2.5" cutsom exhaust. Open air intake filter. 3" piping to TB. 65mm TB & ported AFM.
    4:10 rear from Supra. BillyM shifter kit. Swapped most interior over to black. T3 camber plates.
    935 Budget Coilover kit. KYB AGX struts. T3 Needle bearing upper perch kit. Eibach Sport rear supra springs. SF Ford TFI Performance coil.
    Almost finished with the fiberglass hatch!

The problem was all my computer. I had it loose because I was doing some wiring above it and I didn't know it grounded threw the base and I left it loose for a couple days while drive so it shorted it's self out. Put a new one in and is perfectly fine now.

Thread Information