Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

w58 speed sensor.

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gsagunner 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I am back again with some weird questions.

Recently my speedo stopped working. I can drive about a 1/4 of a mile, my check engine light will come on, if i come to a stop the car will shut off. I can start the car back up just fine, check engine light off an have no issues for about another 1/4 mile. (think she watched to many fast & furious movies lol)

I checked my speedo cable, its all intact. I checked the plastic speedo gear, it is also intact. I can spin that gear and watch the speedo cable to see it turning. when I put the speedo sensor back in, jack the car up and run it through the gears, the speedo cable will not turn.

When I look into the tail housing it seems as though the gear on the output shaft might have slid back on the shaft.

Is the inside gear metal or plastic? I can see a metal one that's just out of reach for the speedo sensor to come into contact with.

thank you guys for the help,
Garrett.

#2 ·
Your profile says 85. If I recall, the ECU gets whacky if no signal from the speedometer. It's unique to 84,85, early 86. Check out the FAQ for a complete write up on this. It sounds like the plastic gear in the tranny is toast. I assume what you call a speedo sensor is the elbow that attaches to the speedo cable.
Guess I'm confused by the terms. There is a drive gear and a speedo driven gear . If you can turn your speedo cable by hand, then it's one of these gears. FAQ time.

#3 ·
Yes i am aware as it sends the ecu into a closed/open loop mode (one of the two) and yes i do mean the drive/speedo driven gears, sorry about that. The driven gear, on the elbow is still intact and great shape. I needed to know what the drive gear is, i read somewhere that the drive gear is metal, is this true? and what holds that gear in place, as i feel mine may have just slid back on the output shaft.

#4 ·
It's in the FAQ like I said. The drive gear is deep inside the tranny, the driven gear is closer to the elbow. The elbow is not the driven gear, it transfers the motion to the cable. Look at the FAQ in this forum. It's a great write-up with pics.

#5 ·
There is a clip that holds the gear on the shaft in the transmission. Likely that has went MIA and allowed the gear to shift out of place. Unfortunately you have to pull the transmission to remove the extension housing off the trans get access to that gear.

#6 ·
Boy, that sounds like a lot of fun!!

#8 ·
What ring? You mean the clip? That should be all you need. Just be extremely careful sliding it on over the gear. Use the bare minimum force necessary to expand it to get over the gear. Do each end of the clip separately, don't pull both ends simultaneously. It is extremely easy to over extend that clip and then bend it out of shape, resulting in it eventually falling off again.

Pretty sure you can remove the tail shaft housing off the tranny without pulling the tranny out. Might want to angle the motor back a bit though for better access to the upper bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.