New to the world of MKII - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    Man, you could be spot on. It hadn't even occurred to me.

Previous owner did some stuff with big hopes of making a little race demon, so anything is possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    OKAY! (Sort of)

Drivetrain issue is the carrier bearing. A quick search shows me some fairly straightforward procedures, BUT:

I need a new one. I'll drop the question here and go out hunting for info. Do we know of a good replacement/upgrade? Or do I have to find a specific MK2 part? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Glad to see there are lots of replacement parts available.

I wonder if any truck type parts are usable...

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

For a replacement drive shaft?
    There are one piece shafts that are custom made.
    Your '82 may need an 82-83 shaft only. Chime in to differ,please.
    They are rebuild-able. Is yours THAT toast?
    Not so much as a home-gamers abilities.
    The u joints are staked and not so much fun to do. It needs to be balanced afterwards.

The carrier bearings/mounts can be replaced and are available,locally..
    Easier to find a complete 'shaft to just bolt in.
    What city? OH,U.S.A.
    Ship a complete drive shaft? NO. I wouldn't.
    Have you seen the way that the UPS people handle their packages? 400 pound gorillas would be more gentle with those parcels.
    Look for one locally,U.S.A. Dude.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    It's the bearing but like you said, easier to just get/upgrade the whole shaft.

I'm in Idaho so we don't have a whole lot of this type of thing locally, I have some good pick-a-part style yards close to me but if mine went bad, why would I trust an equally old one?
    The thing is lose to the touch LOL. Definitely obvious where that elliptical sensation is coming from...

I'll look at the 82/83 vs MK2. Loads of options for steel, aluminum, 1 piece, just a google away.

The parts are available by mail order, and any local competent shop should be able to install them.

As far as getting a custom driveshaft made, look in the phone book for places that work on truck stuff. If they can't make and balance a driveshaft for your car, they probably know who can.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I had not considered custom, not sure it's necessary but good to think about. Install I could probably handle but balancing? No clue.

I have a driveline shop 4 blocks away...

CelicaSupra.com Member
    This sure looks like a good option at a fraction of the cost...

http://rockforddriveline.com/Staked_Instructions.htm

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Many years ago I did a similar repair on something. I can't recall exactly what it was now. But it did require somewhat unique replacement parts, like the U joints with clips in the caps instead of the normal in grooves in the yokes. But like this, it was much, much cheaper and not all that hard to do. It wasn't because the part wasn't available like in this case though. But suitable replacement parts while priced somewhat higher than typical were maybe 10 - 15% of the supposed unrepairable assembly.
    Those instructions cover the basics of the process. But I can think of a couple of things that should make the process easier. To me, it would make sense to use a Dremel or something similar to grind away the staking before trying to remove the original U joints. And it also makes sense to make something to fit between the ears to make sure that in your efforts to remove the old U joints, you don't bend anything. Heating the ears may help as well, especially if you can selectively cool the U joint end caps.
    FYI, all MK II rear driveshaft sections are the same. The front section length is different between manuals and automatics. Just be sure to mark how everything is aligned before taking it apart so it can be reassembled the same way to avoid vibration. You should replace the staked nut on the front section when replacing the carrier bearing and be sure it's installed in the right orientation as well. It may need rebalancing after repair too. Hope this helps.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Excellent words. This forum is great.

I'm gonna ask the nearby driveline shop for their thoughts just because.

Thread Information