Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

WHAT does NOT work in your Supra? I have multiple.

17K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  ddd228 
#1 ·
There are soooo many systems that are incorporated in our cars!:32::sarcasm:
I'll say about 30 systems that they come with,depending on the year and model.
Yes,a lot of it is electric/mechanical and the MK II's come with a PILE of 'em.

ALL of the wipers work,the CC works,the alternator works,the electric windows function,rear defroster,both front and rear latches,headlights,fogs,speedo, light,dash lights,cigarette lighter,console light,glove box light,seat belts,door locks,
A/C,heater,vanity mirror,dash lights,warning buzzers,headlight doors,back up lights,Tranny/clutch/diff/driveshaft,power brakes,hood/hatch struts,brake system,turn signals/parking lights,CEL light,door locks/alarm,door/hatch hardware,
electric/heater mirrors,lumbar support/seat adjustment,tunes, and the electrical list goes on.

Mechanical stuff is a completely different area.

I'll say electrical systems.
Our cars have a pile,AND THEY ARE QUITE RELIABLE.
Maybe we are so lucky to have so many systems that work.
30 KILOS of copper wire in our cars?
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
I'm not finished: sun roof,headlight washers,(A/T) overdrive,clutch switch,brake light switch,head light pop ups,OK,ignition/washers/wiper delay,trip computer,dash lights,glove box/console light,seat belt buzzer,rear hatch light.

I cannot think of all of the electrical functions that our cars come with from the factory. No way.

These do not work in my car:
I'll say, a lot ...more.
1:Dome light.
2:Clock.
3:A/C(removed)
4: Rear hatch light.
5:1/2 of the dash lights.
6:Rear cigarette lighter.
7:Arm rest interior light.
8:Electric antenna.(removed)

Some systems that I'll never use/test:passenger vanity light on the sun visor.

I'm trying to think from memory,at my desk.There are a LOT of electrical system that come stock,plus optional extras(on some models) that I cannot think of.

Engine/ECU sensors? Jeez!
It becomes overwhelming.
"Just look at the fabulous 'extras' on this car!"(Cheech and Chong reference.)
It's really is a large list.
The "P" type came with more extras/options than the "L" type,depending on the country that it was imported to.

See less See more
#2 ·
My A/C leaked out years ago and as little as I drive it, just enough to keep the fluids circulating and maybe to a car show a couple times a year, it has just not been a priority to fix the A/C. I think everything else works, but then I don't test everything on a regular basis, like I haven't needed the windshield wipers in the last 20 years but every feature worked the last time it got used. Worst thing is really just leaky seals, I put scrap cardboard under the Supra to soak it up, but that seems to be par for the course on a 31 year old car. My 48 year old Corvette also the A/C has leaked out and it drips all over the floor too, but everything else works. They're for windows down, sunroof open, T-tops off kind of driving anyway.

#3 ·
6:Rear cigarette lighter.
Wat?

All those lights are probably on the same fuse, might wanna start there :p

The only major gripe i've got with my car is that the speedo is bouncy and inaccurate. Oil leaks? Yes, but that just lets me know i've still got oil flowing around in there...

I drove my car enough to start whittling down little issues here and there, the only things really not working are from me messing with them. I have not installed a harness in the CF hatch yet(even though the FBI sent me one) so the rear defroster is N/A and i removed the windshield sprayer system entirely when i installed a CF hood since i did not want to drill holes in it. No holes in the hatch either so no rear wiper, sprayer, or key. Also my factory brakes quit working on me, but that might have something to do with them sitting in a box after installing wilwoods. The factory spare also quit fitting over the brakes at the same time, weird right? I did get the dang power antenna going, gotta have those tunes. The factory ECU is about to quit working on me, something about not being able to work after you rip it out of the car and install a stand alone? AC works like a charm, just have to add freon once in awhile. I don't think it is going to work quite as well when i block the airflow with an intercooler though...

#4 ·
That list you named sums up most supras now:
No AC
no antenna
not sure i've ever seen a rear hatch light due to just some dime lights. be on of the first cheap conversion i do Is adding LED's to every interior light.. and possibly some aftermarket ones for a more modern lighting inside so you can see.( like some small floor lighting attached to open door circuit)
haha wipers are pretty important, not that many drive these old ladies in the rain much.. I wanted to build a custom set of wipers so we could attach some new age blades in 2 minutes and not a 10 minute job.

#5 ·
My dome light stopped working. I fixed it by cleaning the contacts the slide switch runs on. My heat didn't work but found that some dumbass had the computer unplugged. Same with my windshield wipers the computer was unplugged so they would work but then stay in the middle of the windshield. My cruise control has never worked I think I will try to fix it next. Not long ago my power antenna stopped working at all I've tried to look up a relay I'm sure there is one? My visor lights didn't work because the wire was broken off inside the headliner. I fixed that when I was doing some body work. My ac clutch was loud but worked. I lucked out with a used one off of eBay and haven't had any problems.

So where is that power antenna relay? Lol

Duane

#8 ·
Do NOT lose any of the parts from the original antenna!

You'll need the little bits and pieces that screw on to the top of it to fit the extreme slope of the rear quarter where it comes through the fender.

#12 ·
That's the answer that Duane was looking for!!!! His may be an '85 also,Jim.
I broke 2 antennas off when I first got my car and didn't want to mess with it anymore.
There is a manual antenna in that cubby,now.Works fine.Also,there is a power (always on) back there that I found to charge my R/C batteries or even my cell phone with an adapter.

#13 ·
That silly antenna control box is one area where I have to wonder what the Toyota engineers were smoking. I installed a custom built sound system in our 85P when it was new and getting the antenna to work correctly with all aftermarket high end components was the only real challenge. That control box stops the antenna on the way up when the engine is started. After starting, it continues up without momentarily reversing directions during start like every other one in the world. It would be nice if say this resulted in it lasting much longer than typical. Unfortunately, as we've all found out, quite the opposite is generally the case, though I doubt this has anything to do with it either way.
I repaired mine once before realizing that an aftermarket replacement was MUCH cheaper and much more reliable. I'm on my third one since new. The original lasted barely 5 years and that's with one expensive repair. The Hirschmann lasted until my original car was t-boned a few years ago. The Metra has worked fine since.
But those through the fender ferules and mounting bracket are way better than anything the aftermarket ever offered!
I have my particular pet peeves and they are things I've replaced way more often than would seem reasonable. Top of that list is cam cover gaskets, then windshield washer pumps, then every other oil seal, etc, etc. And a few things have needed repairing way too often too, but very few things really. Clutch hydraulics would top that list. But then there are the things I still find wonderful about it like just about all original bulbs, and plenty of other things too.
But adding cup holders was the thing that brought the car up to almost the 21st century!
And as much as many of us know about these cars, there's still things that can prove to be confounding, especially electrical stuff and that's one of my lifelong specialties! How many of these systems interact and exactly how things are actually wired together are just a bit less than detailed. But to be honest, we all know that there's lots to make these little difficulties easy to mostly overlook.

#15 ·
I finally dug out the control box from under my workbench.

It says: "Antenna Control 85914-14020 165000-0421 12 Volt Denso".

It has TWO Murata MR301-NZ relays, a Toshiba TC 4001 IC (a quad CMOS NOR gate), and 4 transistors marked with what appears to be a "house number". It has a rectangular 10-pin connector, with 9 pins used.

#18 ·
One other thing that doesn't work on my particular Supra is me, at least sometimes. Can I blame that on a design flaw or just genetic defects and dain bramage or was that drain bamage? At least I haven't rusted yet? My paint shows its age and I could definitely use a good buffing! And luckily, no fluid leaks yet either. But I guess that Depends on whether they're inevitable, doesn't it.

#20 ·
My kind of thread as my anal-retentive behavior insists that everything - or almost everything works on my cars.

With my MKII - when I bought it more than a decade ago, lots of little things didn't work - 1/2 the interior lights, stereo, speakers, antenna - the list goes on...

Now - everything works as it should except one: the rear window defroster. Early in my ownership of the car, I took it in to have it re-tinted (and remove the old tint that had turned purple) the installers accidentally broke a few of the lines from the defroster grid. They warned me this could happen and they cut me a break on the final price. Never got around to fixing it and I've never needed it. Still - bothers me knowing it doesn't work.

But everything else works. The A/C (still R-12) blows ice-cold, stereo sounds great, antenna goes up/down when it should, no oil (or any other fluid) leaks and every light works - including visor, hatch, engine bay, cabin, center console lights. It's a Toyota.

Chris
(auto_cran)

#21 ·
Sorry gents, I was under the impression these cars were Toyotas?

EVERYTHING on Dragon works :D :D

I was concerned this morning when I took Dragon to the dealer to have its wheel bearings adjusted and anti-roll bar bushes replaced, the A/C didn't work. Seems it was just too cold, though (ironically, seeing as a heat pump should work even more effectively as the environmental temperature falls!) as when I drove home, it was working like nothing happened.

Fuel gauge is flaky though, when I have half a tank it bounces up and down between 6 and 2 bars, then starts again at 6 when I stop.

Power antenna, cruise control, all lights, heater, sunroof, windows, everything electrical and mechanical just WORK :thumbsup: heck, I even wired in the powered upright for my mk3 driver's seat (lumbar and side bolster adjustments) and they work great!

This is what I have a Toyota for!

#22 ·
Rob,that's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!
There must be 30 electrical
systems on our cars. probably a lot more.
The list would be HUGE.
Count the relays and circuit breakers.Things that move or turn on and go off,electrically.

There a few systems that fail more often.
I'm happy that most of the electrically-driven systems still work or ones that I repaired in the last decade.
Replaced the stock radio.Replaced the main power switch for the CC.
When my power antenna broke,I didn't fix that!
I disabled the dome/interior light when I added an Auto Loc anti-theft device. It was a GOOD trade off because I push a button on my key fob to unlock the power door locks AND disable the no-start feature. The former owner wore through the paint below the drivers door with his thumb.
On my '84 you need to hold the door handle open to lock it. Not any more.
I can live without A/C in Seattle.
Congrats to the owners that can say EVERYTHING works!:salute:
Rob and Greg are the only ones,so far.

#24 ·
Congrats to the owners that can say EVERYTHING works!:salute:
Rob and Greg are the only ones,so far.
I stand corrected...I have one light bulb that needs replacing - driver`s side backup light. Call me lazy or crazy, but I never replaced it. It`s been like that since I bought the car 15 years ago (for parts). I`ve been super lucky with this ride (knock on wood), haven`t actually had to do anything to it other than upgrade.

#23 ·
Once my car is completely settled in my hands I think I'll be able to say everything works, Thanks for that little wiper tip Dave! I'll have to build some Custom Ac for the 2j but beyond that my car is good, along with a shell to fix all the small bits pretty fast. :) glad we still have some solid owners lurking around

#26 ·
True that Rob, but I`m also kinda superstitious. Since I haven`t fixed the ONLY thing that ever needed fixing, my todo list is very short. Instead I use that time to develop parts. Our inspection isn`t minutely detailed and fortunately I`ll never need another now that it is classified an antique vehicle. :cool:

#28 ·
David, go find a 4th to 5th gen celica at a junkyard and grab the domelight assy out of it and swap it in. Bolts up and uses the same connector, but instead of the slider switch that breaks, it uses a pivot and a ball bearing to make contact. I have been running one for about 12 years now, and it has yet to fail.

#29 ·
If it doesn't work, it's probably my fault. ;)

#30 ·
Because you broke it? Yes, I did break it! (Dome light)

Naw,lazy and "I ain't got to that issue,yet" is better.
It's still broken,is one reason for not tackling an issue.
Lately, my excuse is TOO COLD to work on my car.
Frozen fingers just do not work so well, on this old guy.
"Does it run and drive?"
Yeah.
"Is it legal?"
Mostly.
"What's broken?"
A shit-ton.
Mostly electrical.
42 kilograms of copper wires and some actually make connections!
I'll add more. Don't call me David.

#31 ·
Lots of electrical failure when I got my car.

Heater blower did not work (since removed entirely, along with rest of HVAC)

NONE of my courtesy lights work, have worked since I got the car, including door lights, dome light, hatch light. Dome light works when switched on manually. The courtesy switches work fine, don't know where the issue is.

Only about half of the rear defrost strips work on the hatch glass.

Power door locks do not work. Alarm works fine, however.

Lighted keyholes do not work.

Things that are dying: Passenger window motor has been slow for a few years, keeps on working though.

Worked but removed on purpose: power steering, cruise control, washer fluid tank/motor, rear wiper and motor

#32 ·
Worked but removed on purpose: power steering, cruise control, washer fluid tank/motor, rear wiper and motor
Whaaaaat you monster. I need power steering and cruise control. The thing almost drives itself on road trips with those :p

I ditched all the other stuff when i got the cf hood/hatch though.

#33 ·
What does not work on purpose, is sounding like weight savings measures.
I know that Tanya likes to remove weight where ever possible.
Lighter=faster acceleration.
Remove creature comforts? Maybe.

Tanya's car will KILL mine in an acceleration contest,easily!:sadsmilie

I lost my dome light in a purposeful addition to my anti-theft addition.
Rear wiper motor delete/front washer bottle is a good thing to save weight,if you can live with it.
Cruise control? Maybe.
A weight loss program may be a way to make/allow the car to accelerate much faster,but at what what expense? A/C? Not in Seattle.45 pounds,maybe. Useless baggage.:SM130 (1):

Choose your deleted items for your performance needs.
Yeah,some of the systems on my Supra are broken or removed!
Some are not needed,totally. I NEED a heater that works,please.I'm too skinny.

Many more systems have been repaired or replaced since ownership.
That is what we do!
This was fun to improve the original design:
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/DSCF0017.jpg.html][/URL]
It wasn't "broken/non functional",just a bit low on CFM out put.
The heater motor was totally required in a November. It was toast.:SM130 (1):
Lucky that my rear defrosters still function as well as the rear wiper,for Seattle.

The hatch STILL leaks. I use a pair of 'Depends' inside the tail lights.
The Supra's water resistant functions do NOT work as designed.Broken.
There are lights,heat and tunes and the seats work. So many systems that can go wrong.
The engineers at the Toyota factories did a pretty good job.I'll see the defects and try to improve them,as I see fit. Broken/does not work? Some are required,some are not.
Choose your requirements. 30+ cars need your attention and I'm all over them.
Broken? Maybe I'll fix that.
In the meanwhile,I'll enjoy my car,as so many others have.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/DSCF0027_027_025_zpsrnfo2eyg.jpg.html][/URL]

Our Supra's ROCK!

#35 ·
Tanya brings up a good point.
WHAT did you fix on your Supra?

"Diff" change(3),cruise control main switch,radio replace,sway bars replacement,LED lights,SS brake lines,3 master cylinders,tires,engine,rear wiper bushings,alternator,starter,Griffin that required an external 'tranny' cooler,seat covers,better back up lights,electric pusher fan.The list goes on.
Some of the stuff WAS broken.Some things still are!!!!!I don't need a bloody dome light or a clock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.