WHAT does NOT work in your Supra? I have multiple. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The bottom of the antenna has a control box mounted to it. It has a circuit board and a relay in it.

At least that's how my 1985 was configured....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    The bottom of the antenna has a control box mounted to it. It has a circuit board and a relay in it.

At least that's how my 1985 was configured....
    That's the answer that Duane was looking for!!!! His may be an '85 also,Jim.
    I broke 2 antennas off when I first got my car and didn't want to mess with it anymore.
    There is a manual antenna in that cubby,now.Works fine.Also,there is a power (always on) back there that I found to charge my R/C batteries or even my cell phone with an adapter.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    That silly antenna control box is one area where I have to wonder what the Toyota engineers were smoking. I installed a custom built sound system in our 85P when it was new and getting the antenna to work correctly with all aftermarket high end components was the only real challenge. That control box stops the antenna on the way up when the engine is started. After starting, it continues up without momentarily reversing directions during start like every other one in the world. It would be nice if say this resulted in it lasting much longer than typical. Unfortunately, as we've all found out, quite the opposite is generally the case, though I doubt this has anything to do with it either way.
    I repaired mine once before realizing that an aftermarket replacement was MUCH cheaper and much more reliable. I'm on my third one since new. The original lasted barely 5 years and that's with one expensive repair. The Hirschmann lasted until my original car was t-boned a few years ago. The Metra has worked fine since.
    But those through the fender ferules and mounting bracket are way better than anything the aftermarket ever offered!
    I have my particular pet peeves and they are things I've replaced way more often than would seem reasonable. Top of that list is cam cover gaskets, then windshield washer pumps, then every other oil seal, etc, etc. And a few things have needed repairing way too often too, but very few things really. Clutch hydraulics would top that list. But then there are the things I still find wonderful about it like just about all original bulbs, and plenty of other things too.
    But adding cup holders was the thing that brought the car up to almost the 21st century!
    And as much as many of us know about these cars, there's still things that can prove to be confounding, especially electrical stuff and that's one of my lifelong specialties! How many of these systems interact and exactly how things are actually wired together are just a bit less than detailed. But to be honest, we all know that there's lots to make these little difficulties easy to mostly overlook.

Awesome! I'll take a look and maybe I'll have it working again before I break my antenna off thank everyone!

Duane
    85 Supra Black 5spd 5MGE w/Black Leather
    85 Supra Red (parts car)
    96 Lexus GS300 - Silver w/Black Leather 2JZ
    88 Celica GTS Black - Sold
    80 Celica GT Black - Sold

I finally dug out the control box from under my workbench.

It says: "Antenna Control 85914-14020 165000-0421 12 Volt Denso".

It has TWO Murata MR301-NZ relays, a Toshiba TC 4001 IC (a quad CMOS NOR gate), and 4 transistors marked with what appears to be a "house number". It has a rectangular 10-pin connector, with 9 pins used.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

For me, the AC doesn't work (no big deal here) and 2 speakers.

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    I'm not working in, nor on, my Supra...all systems go!
    Hidden Content
    Terracotta Warrior
    aka Mr Whisker

CelicaSupra.com Member
    One other thing that doesn't work on my particular Supra is me, at least sometimes. Can I blame that on a design flaw or just genetic defects and dain bramage or was that drain bamage? At least I haven't rusted yet? My paint shows its age and I could definitely use a good buffing! And luckily, no fluid leaks yet either. But I guess that Depends on whether they're inevitable, doesn't it.

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    Use it or lose it, speaking of which, I could use an oil change...
    Hidden Content
    Terracotta Warrior
    aka Mr Whisker

CelicaSupra.com Member auto_cran's Avatar
    My kind of thread as my anal-retentive behavior insists that everything - or almost everything works on my cars.

With my MKII - when I bought it more than a decade ago, lots of little things didn't work - 1/2 the interior lights, stereo, speakers, antenna - the list goes on...

Now - everything works as it should except one: the rear window defroster. Early in my ownership of the car, I took it in to have it re-tinted (and remove the old tint that had turned purple) the installers accidentally broke a few of the lines from the defroster grid. They warned me this could happen and they cut me a break on the final price. Never got around to fixing it and I've never needed it. Still - bothers me knowing it doesn't work.

But everything else works. The A/C (still R-12) blows ice-cold, stereo sounds great, antenna goes up/down when it should, no oil (or any other fluid) leaks and every light works - including visor, hatch, engine bay, cabin, center console lights. It's a Toyota.

Chris
    (auto_cran)

Thread Information