Bought a project MK2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member

Bought a project MK2

Although I don't really need another project right now, I couldn't pass up this MK2 Supra. It was in a sea can along with boxes of parts and tires and I just came to see it on my lunch break, made an offer and then the seller wanted to accept my offer the next day. It was at one point owned by a guy on this forum that went by Suprago, and he has unfurtunatly passed away. It came with a decent amount of performance parts, and two 1jz engines. I'm still trying to figure out what stage the project is at, and what direction he was planning on going in. It seems to have no rust at all and is pretty much ready for prep and paint. A lot of work went in to it so far, so I would like to do it justice.

Rotors are a little rusty, but look at those wheels.

Interior is stripped and sitting in peices inside, I am hoping to find some glass in there.

7M-GTE

1981 Celica Supra - 5ME
    1981 Celica Supra - 5MTE
    1985 Cressida Wagon - 5MGE
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1100
    1995 GMC Jimmy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Pretty exciting. Did you find any glass.? I have all glass except the windshield in Santa Cruz, Ca. I may bring it and other parts up to Montana, someday. Pm me if you want.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

I see unfinished project cars for sale all the time and occasionally tempted. Usually its somebody whose gotten in over their head, either technically or financially. Rarely is it someone who had passed. I'm always afraid to touch them tho because I figure I couldn't easily inventory a bunch of boxes and be sure everything was there or even it if was, whether it was in working order. I might could do a Supra a little easier than other cars just because I have some familiarity but still out of tens of thousands of parts.... But I can see why that was hard to pass up. Not your average unfinished mk2.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Quite the project! Find a bit of space and start laying out what you do and don't have. You've got a long road ahead... with some very nice parts to help you along the way!
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73
    2007 Lexus LX470

You might be best off getting an entire spare car that is already in 1 piece, running or not. It will make things much easier on you for figuring out how they should go, and if it is a non runner and has the colors of yours you won't be mail ordering every little part left and right that end up not finding... That looks like a hell of a lot of good parts though, i've got those wilwood brakes and love em.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Wow, quite the find. Forget the wheels, the brakes! You do know what those are worth right?

Hope that turbo is still good, some money there too.

Whats up with the sunroof, is it just the only shiny paint on the car? The reflections coming off it in these photos almost makes it look like a glass moonroof, plus the seal is funny for some reason.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

That's an awesome find!! Can't wait to see how it turns out!!

You are going to need some help with your puzzle.
    It looks like the engine block was painted.
    You may need a large work space to organize all of the parts to see what is missing from your puzzle. Yes,the parts that you bought looks like it was some serious money spent.
    Reminds me of sleepy RN's project.

I wouldn't know where to begin. I guess,clean it out and see what you have,first.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Supkar: I have the hatch glass for sure, I haven't tried unloading anything out of the car yet so I'll see what else there is. Unfortunately, I can't say this is a priority until at least next summer so I might have to re-evaluate the situation then.

pdupler: Yes, I am also wary of buying other people's projects but to be honest, I bought everything for the parts it came with more than the car. The car is a bonus. But yes, I have boxes of parts that I still have to go through, and I'm hoping my experince with my various mk1s and my Cressida will help with this build.

Deanfun: Space is definitely a luxury right now with all my projects, lol.

gamble: Yup, I am definitely considering getting another spare car eventually. However, my plan right now is to get it running at least and then see what else needs to be added after that. I think everything is there but I am not experienced at all with the mk2, so I won't know what goes where. A spare car, or maybe even a mk2 buddy could help with that.

SupraFiend: I looked up the brakes, they are the raptor racing big brake kit worth about $1000 front and back each? The 7mgte looks totally rebuilt and not a speck of oil on it so I'm thinking the turbo is good but I didn't check for shaft play last time I was looking at it. I need to get an ID on it since I couldn't tell from the pic I took. Yes, it does seem to be a glass moon roof, I'm gussing that was never a stock option?

HoodRatRace: I think it will turn out great but it will definitley be a while before it's ready.

ddd228: Yeah I need help, that's where you awesome lads come in. Once I finish my mk1 I will have more space but right now I can't even unload what's in the car due to lack of space in my garage.
    1981 Celica Supra - 5ME
    1981 Celica Supra - 5MTE
    1985 Cressida Wagon - 5MGE
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1100
    1995 GMC Jimmy

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Oh cool. Guessing by the way that seal mounts, its an aftermarket one put into what used to be a hardtop car. Does it even open? Kinda looks like its fixed with a simple seal holding it in.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information