New from Pittsburgh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New from Pittsburgh!

Hey everybody. I've been lurking for awhile now and finally decided to introduce myself. I've been looking at Mk IIs now for a few years and finally bit the bullet and bought one. Its a 1983 P Type with the Aisin slushbox, but the owner threw in a W58, no bellhousing though. She's a little rough, but clean. All original, only a couple small trouble cancer spots. I plan on doing a resto on it over the winter and keeping it. I don't know a huge amount of info about it just yet, but that's sure to change. Its my first Toyota and I'm pretty much a hardcore Mopar guy with the exception of this car. (Currently own two ; 02 Intrepid, first car and mildly built 300C, daily) I don't know what it is, but I just fell in love with them a few years back. Anyways I'm sure you'll be seeing me around here more than enough in the coming months as I try to scavenge the bits and pieces to her (like body moldings, mudflaps, cowl trim, etc.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member eightsixxmkII's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums. You'll find the information here to be very helpful. We love pics, so post them up!

I'll be parting out a supra after snow season is over. Let me know if you need parts.
    Hidden Content
    05 Scion Tc: Sold. Mpg will be missed.
    85 P: New project. No motor/trans.
    86 P Super Deep Red (Cali Car):7mgte/w58.
    98 4runner Sr5: Daily driver. Parts/dead car hauler.
    96 Avalon: New daily.

Many parts are NOT available new,anymore.
    Side trim strips are one of those items.
    We have a few very loyal vendors that supply rare parts,NOS.
    One of our new members Gavin, has just started 3D printing the upper dash vents for us!
    Greg :'82 Supra,has made NOS moldings for us,too.
    Mr. Whisker was his vendor name.
    We have quite a few (reliable) used parts sources, right here on this forum as well.

I believe that after you have made TEN posts,you may use a photo hosting site to post your photos.
    In the meanwhile,you may ask questions AFTER you have tried to use our LAME search feature.
    You will need to locate parts and advice and you are in the right place.
    Keep your slush box in there, until you get your car sorted out.
    Mechanical things, to make it safe first,IMO. Brakes,suspension and tires come to mind.
    You have ALL winter to work on your '83. We will be here.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Yeah I kind of found out most of the parts for these cars aren't readily available anymore. So far its proved to be interesting trying to track down things that you would assume are still readily available, like heater cores. I've actually been using the search feature quite a bit so far, not really a stranger to forums, and have found quite a bit of useful info so far. Still learning, but I'm enjoying finding all these new things about my car. After thinking about it, I'm probably going to keep the transmission in the car. Its all numbers matching and original and me being a die hard Mopar enthusiast, I've developed somewhat of a "purity" stand when it comes to restos. I.E., cant take an original 69 383 Roadrunner and put a 440 in it, blasphemy, lol.

So far I've addressed basic tune up stuff, fog/turn signal assembly repair, side marker light replacements, replacing a broken wheel stud, and hardcore cleaning. I'll be dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump here soon. Maybe once I reach my 10 posts, I'll start a resto thread to keep yinz updated.

One thing I'm having trouble finding and can't seem to catch a break on is finding someone to restore my factory Fujitsu CE-4234-TL2 headunit. I'm dead set on having it in the car. I wont clutter it with an aftermarket radio. Plus the original looks awesome at night.

No spark:http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/se...rchid=24064793

There are few working Fujitsu still out there.(here)Yes,some of our members have had them all gone through,but I cannot recall the place that does that service.

This PILE may help:http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/se...rchid=24065017

I replaced mine a few years back .Toyota Camry,2001. LOOKS stock.
    Same color as dash back lighting too.

After loosing a channel at random,I replaced it.
    http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...on+bling+radio

unless the car is pristine, clean 5 speed swap will not change it's value. It's far from the mopars or other muscle car # matching rules. It's more of the good condition that dictates the value.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily runner, RIP...)
    2002 E39 ///M5 LMB, Hidden Content Hidden Content

I'll have to disagree with the auto/stick choice. When I went looking for my first Supra,I WANTED a slush box tranny! The seller had it listed(11 years ago) for $3,400. He had a lot of inquires for the car and they all walked away when they realized that (my now) '84 had an automatic transmission.Bought it for $2,800.

The stick shift car IS more desirable,but don't jump into that idea,just yet. BTW,the tranny was gone through and upgraded with a shift kit that I LOVED! It used to bark the tires in the 1-2 shift,but after my decade-long(ab) use,not anymore.

I have never regretted my decision to but an automatic car. Yes,I have had 4 speed hot rods and NO,My '84 does not have matching numbers anymore:'85 engine,last year,
    2001 Camry radio,LSD out out of an '86 and multiple other internal and exterior mods.

Actually,nothing that I own is "stock".

I'm not afraid to improve the original design that the item(s) come with. Mostly from a performance standpoint. It's mostly personal mods that I make to make it better/more powerful/and to MY taste.

I'm not a collector so much.Besides,my '84 is my DD.

I may have been the first to design many Supra improvements,over the years.
    Some do not show on the exterior.
    WAY better (brighter/more efficient)lighting is a popular change for the better. The "Fog light mod" is also an improvement,IMO. I'm a proponent of LED lights as well.

Our 80's cars can stand some internal modifications. Not so much about the external appearance
    of a Supra from the 80's.Stock wheels and tires? I'm in that 'club',so far.
    Sway bars were a great improvement,but it's not lowered,yet.
    Original factory color and that was important to me when it was crushed by an overloaded snow-covered canopy.
    I'm on my 3rd fuel pump,third engine,3rd pumpkin,3rd alternator and I replaced the stock radiator with a Griffin unit+ an after market 'pusher' condenser fan,tranny cooler and the list goes onward.
    My car ain't stock anymore and I wouldn't be happy if it were still stock. Maybe at's all about personalization.

"What the hell is that,Dave? Well,that was my idea."

No leaks,so far.
    I have ideas that are "RICE",sometimes.
    http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t...x.jpg~original
    Fabra-cobble an intake CAI horn.
    Last edited by ddd228; 12-12-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    unless the car is pristine, clean 5 speed swap will not change it's value. It's far from the mopars or other muscle car # matching rules. It's more of the good condition that dictates the value.
    I'm not really worried about changing the value, I don't plan on selling it really. I've been lusting after a MkII for years now and don't really plan on letting this one go. I wasn't really trying to compare apples to apples comparing this to an old Roadrunner or Superbee, but in the same sense its an all original car and helping my father restore my grandfather's 70 Challenger 440/6 its been engrained in me to keep classics original. Plus the GF has motions sickness and cant ride in cars with sticks. She can barely ride in my 300 when I use the Autostick.

Quote Originally Posted by ddd228 View Post
    I'll have to disagree with the auto/stick choice. When I went looking for my first Supra,I WANTED a slush box tranny! The seller had it listed(11 years ago) for $3,400. He had a lot of inquires for the car and they all walked away when they realized that (my now) '84 had an automatic transmission.Bought it for $2,800.

The stick shift car IS more desirable,but don't jump into that idea,just yet. BTW,the tranny was gone through and upgraded with a shift kit that I LOVED! It used to bark the tires in the 1-2 shift,but after my decade-long(ab) use,not anymore.

I have never regretted my decision to but an automatic car. Yes,I have had 4 speed hot rods and NO,My '84 does not have matching numbers anymore:'85 engine,last year,
    2001 Camry radio,LSD out out of an '86 and multiple other internal and exterior mods.

Actually,nothing that I own is "stock".

I'm not afraid to improve the original design that the item(s) come with. Mostly from a performance standpoint. It's mostly personal mods that I make to make it better/more powerful/and to MY taste.

I'm not a collector so much.Besides,my '84 is my DD.

I may have been the first to design many Supra improvements,over the years.
    Some do not show on the exterior.
    WAY better (brighter/more efficient)lighting is a popular change for the better. The "Fog light mod" is also an improvement,IMO. I'm a proponent of LED lights as well.

Our 80's cars can stand some internal modifications. Not so much about the external appearance
    of a Supra from the 80's.Stock wheels and tires? I'm in that 'club',so far.
    Sway bars were a great improvement,but it's not lowered,yet.
    Original factory color and that was important to me when it was crushed by an overloaded snow-covered canopy.
    I'm on my 3rd fuel pump,third engine,3rd pumpkin,3rd alternator and I replaced the stock radiator with a Griffin unit+ an after market 'pusher' condenser fan,tranny cooler and the list goes onward.
    My car ain't stock anymore and I wouldn't be happy if it were still stock. Maybe at's all about personalization.

"What the hell is that,Dave? Well,that was my idea."

No leaks,so far.
    I have ideas that are "RICE",sometimes.
    http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t...x.jpg~original
    Fabra-cobble an intake CAI horn.
    That's aweome. With my Intrepid, there's a small close knit community of enthusiasts ( LH car, Intrepid, 300m, LHS, Condcorde) and I'm one of the only people to do a bunch of unique things that nobody else has even attempted, so I know where youre coming from. Things like that aren't appreciated anymore. People look at what you buy, not what you build. I love my Intrepid, I've had it 10 years, she's my first car (now she lives the pampered 500 miles a year life). With everything I've done to it, people still see it for what it is, a 4 door somewhat decently built FWD American sedan. They don't see the hours of hard work incorporating factory additions the proper way with a car that never came with them. That's why I stopped going to shows. It ruined it for me.

You were saying about the external appearance ? The Mk 2 hands down one of my favorite looking cars. I love the way everything looks. I love the P type wheels, the dash, the hatch, long hood and of course the pop up headlights. The only thing I would want to change is how far the rear bumper juts out, haha.

Thread Information